NFR NFC >>>>>>2015

guypjfreak

I don't know how you do it - use your phone as a computer that is eg to access the net. I've not even tried, and will not do so in the future, to use a mobile phone for this purpose. There's a point in size where I don't like gadgets getting smaller. I was also given a Kindle Fire as a present from my wife and I think that's the size that I set my limit at as far as internet access etc goes. Each to their own though.

I don't use it all the time - I also I find it annoying (I have an iPad for more general browsing). I use the phone on the move. Mostly apps, checking Facebook and Twitter that sort of thing. Checking news, footie scores, Wikipedia. I don't really text people much now, I tend to chat through FB. Playing games when I'm bored. That sort of thing.

• Replies 24.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffie

• lucyginger

• thurlow84

• A Guy Called Matt

I don't use it all the time - I also I find it annoying (I have an iPad for more general browsing). I use the phone on the move. Mostly apps, checking Facebook and Twitter that sort of thing. Checking news, footie scores, Wikipedia. I don't really text people much now, I tend to chat through FB. Playing games when I'm bored. That sort of thing.

I don't really know anything about apps, Twitter etc and would like it to stay that way. That's why giving me a smart phone is unnecessary. I have found the torch on it though, which I could see being handy on occasions.

If I had no internet, I'd have no friends. That, very sadly, is the truth.

I'm saddened to hear that is the case. I kind of know where you are coming from though. After my last girlfriend ran off with another man I just used to go to work and then go up to my bedroom after work and surf the net. I did this on my own for approx 7 years. On occasions I would go to the supermarket. Not because I needed to buy anything. It was just so that I could feel the presence of people around me. I was also drinking very heavily - it was either a bottle and a quarter of whisky every work night, or 3 to 4 bottles of red wine. I drank even more at weekends. Then something wonderful happened to me - I found this website, and have been on it ever since. It was (quite possibly literally) a life saver. It meant that I could now talk to people instead of myself. I was hesitant to post at first but then made the decision to go for it and post some of my thoughts on subjects etc. I also realised that I was also able to tell stories of things that have happened in my life. I did this as I thought it would be interesting for others to hear these stories and would be a diversion from some of the more mundane subjects. I also realise now that it's like writing a living diary in some ways.

I'll not pry into your personal situation on an open forum, but hope that you are in a happier place than I was way back then. Loneliness can be a curse for those not happy with their own company. If you do suffer from this then feel free to PM me anytime for a private conversation if you want to.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

I'm saddened to hear that is the case. I kind of know where you are coming from though. After my last girlfriend ran off with another man I just used to go to work and then go up to my bedroom after work and surf the net. I did this on my own for approx 7 years. On occasions I would go to the supermarket. Not because I needed to buy anything. It was just so that I could feel the presence of people around me. I was also drinking very heavily - it was either a bottle and a quarter of whisky every work night, or 3 to 4 bottles of red wine. I drank even more at weekends. Then something wonderful happened to me - I found this website, and have been on it ever since. It was (quite possibly literally) a life saver. It meant that I could now talk to people instead of myself. I was hesitant to post at first but then made the decision to go for it and post some of my thoughts on subjects etc. I also realised that I was also able to tell stories of things that have happened in my life. I did this as I thought it would be interesting for others to hear these stories and would be a diversion from some of the more mundane subjects. I also realise now that it's like writing a living diary in some ways.

I'll not pry into your personal situation on an open forum, but hope that you are in a happier place than I was way back then. Loneliness can be a curse for those not happy with their own company. If you do suffer from this then feel free to PM me anytime for a private conversation if you want to.

My story is nowhere near as sad as yours! I've just never been that good at making friends. Never had any friends in school (I was in the group of loners), had a few in college, just a couple in uni. Online I have met so many people (particularly Marillion fans) who have become firm friends. I even met my husband!

I've lived in all different parts of the country and I'm also a bit rubbish at keeping in touch with people. Facebook has changed that. I can start or get involved with conversations with people I hardly ever see in person. I can much more easily arrange to meet up with people who I otherwise wouldn't see and who would otherwise probably drift out of my life.

I guess I feel less lonely in the company of my phone than I would without it because for me my phone is my connection to my friends. I've never been good at talking on the phone so to be able to chat in text works much better for me. I'm generally pretty happy on my own but it's nice to have other people in your life too.

I'm glad you're in a better place now and, although I've not been that low I can totally relate to your story. The Internet is a wonderful communication tool.

I certainly am, Jeffie. Depending on where I am, I'll be 3 or 4 hours behind UK time with just a phone and a table to try with for me and a friend, so may the gods (and any other helpers) be with me!

I'm going to be trying for 6+6 tickets next month, but if the ticket sprites grant the F5ers those quickly, I'm happy to try for you two too if you like, or in any, gulp, resales? PM your reg no, name and postcode if you like, if not no worries.

ICG and Yog, warm handshakes. I too am pants at keeping in touch, although I think it's probably more me raising up the drawbridge sometimes, but the Tinterweb is good for me seeing how old friends are getting on via FB. Whether I meet posters on here, or they remain virtual, it's nice to mingle, there's often more to talk about here than those I work with, at the Christmas parties (techies, not you Jeffie, obviously). Thanks all.

I have made some fab new friends on the interweb and especially on this very forum.

Some I have never met which is weird but others are now life long friends.

Loneliness I also understand, but thankfully that was in a life I had in the early 90's and is long gone.

Lots of my real world friends from life before Efests have shown me a different side to reality that I do not like and to be honest I really do not care if I ever saw some of them again.

Regarding tickets - all you regular posters on here know that all you need to do is ask to be helped and you will be helped to try and get tickets though the list is getting longer!! If you fancy helping me and Ali we would never say no :-)

Edited by mattyc1965

I use the internet to keep in touch with people I wouldn't otherwise see- friends who have moved away etc. Also, a lot of my friends have small children so can't go to the pub of an evening. Not that I do that much anymore, but you know. It's nice to see on FB that your friends are ok, even if its just them "liking" something, it's good to see them still there if you don't see them in the real world often.

Yog- I'm glad efests helped you. You're stuck with us now ;)

My story is nowhere near as sad as yours! I've just never been that good at making friends. Never had any friends in school (I was in the group of loners), had a few in college, just a couple in uni. Online I have met so many people (particularly Marillion fans) who have become firm friends. I even met my husband!

I've lived in all different parts of the country and I'm also a bit rubbish at keeping in touch with people. Facebook has changed that. I can start or get involved with conversations with people I hardly ever see in person. I can much more easily arrange to meet up with people who I otherwise wouldn't see and who would otherwise probably drift out of my life.

I guess I feel less lonely in the company of my phone than I would without it because for me my phone is my connection to my friends. I've never been good at talking on the phone so to be able to chat in text works much better for me. I'm generally pretty happy on my own but it's nice to have other people in your life too.

I'm glad you're in a better place now and, although I've not been that low I can totally relate to your story. The Internet is a wonderful communication tool.

I'm glad to hear that you are in an OK place. My fear was that you were in that place I was years ago. I can relax now that I know that's not the case. I forgot to mention in my last post that I do have friends - quite a few in fact. It's just that I wouldn't see them during the working week and often not so at weekends either. I truly treasure my friends and consider it a privilege to know every single one of them.

I have made some fab new friends on the interweb and especially on this very forum.

If you fancy helping me and Ali we would never say no :-)

Hello matt. I am not going to Glastonbury next year. I have already committed myself to trying to buy two tickets for someone off this site. That means that I would be able to try for you and Ali too on T Day. I'd be delighted to help you out, especially so as it was you that did so for me with this years festival tickets. Send me a PM and we can discuss details. I promise that I will be pressing the F5 button like a man possessed on your behalf on T Day.

Hello matt. I am not going to Glastonbury next year. I have already committed myself to trying to buy two tickets for someone off this site. That means that I would be able to try for you and Ali too on T Day. I'd be delighted to help you out, especially so as it was you that did so for me with this years festival tickets. Send me a PM and we can discuss details. I promise that I will be pressing the F5 button like a man possessed on your behalf on T Day.

You sir are a gentleman.

I will sort a PM later.