Hot Chip warm up gig Birmingham 20th Feb

hurdy

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't quote everyone as it would be a long post but I can appreciate everyones views. This is a Hot Chip thread so I will not go into a run down of New Orders finest moments. I understand people finding them cold, there is a harshness about them. But they are a product of their environment, just like we all are and as Hot Chip are. 1980's Manchester was a cold and harsh place. For people wavering a bit on New Order, give Substance in its entirety a listen to. It is mesmerising.

I do love Hot Chip though. As a kid brought up on The human League, New Order and Depeche Mode I was always going to. I really am looking forward to Wednesday and I do hope they headline West Holts so I can go a bit radio rental.

I won't quote everyone as it would be a long post but I can appreciate everyones views. This is a Hot Chip thread so I will not go into a run down of New Orders finest moments. I understand people finding them cold, there is a harshness about them. But they are a product of their environment, just like we all are and as Hot Chip are. 1980's Manchester was a cold and harsh place. For people wavering a bit on New Order, give Substance in its entirety a listen to. It is mesmerising.

I do love Hot Chip though. As a kid brought up on The human League, New Order and Depeche Mode I was always going to. I really am looking forward to Wednesday and I do hope they headline West Holts so I can go a bit radio rental.

I'll give them another go. Substance is on my afternoon playlist.

I'll give them another go. Substance is on my afternoon playlist.

Its a fantastic collection of songs/music. I think the point I was trying to make is that Hot Chip as good as they are, are not something that is entirely new. Like the best bands they seem to wear their influences on their sleeve a bit, but then add their own unique slant to it. They do tread the same path as New Order and Joe Goddard is heavily influenced by them I would say.

For me Hot chip take Depeche Modes early 80's pop sensibilities and mix it with the rhythm and balls out dance floor electro rock which New Order invented imo. Then add a bit of Chic guitar work in there for good measure.

Just to emphasise the point, here's hot chip doing no fit state live @ Glasto. It basically rips off Blue Monday in the rhythm and then for added effects they add some vocals from imo New Orders best tune (Temptation)

Thinking about it, a mix of New Order, Depeche Mode and Chic would be pretty much my perfect band. Hot Chip take take a bow :-)

Edited by eastynh

Absolutely incredible in glasgow tonight, new stuff is sounding absolutely banging, and the old stuff well, you don't need me to tell you that

They even threw in a fucking brilliant cover of Dancing in the Dark by Springsteen

Unbelievable, I cannot wait for WH Friday

I did see someone walking around afterward with a small 7inch vinyl in a white sleeve with Hot Chip written on it, but i presume that was only a single or something

It was a major lazer remix of look at where we are. I saw someone with what I think was the percussions remix of need you now with joe Goddards remix of huarache lights so I guess you could buy that.