Hot Chip warm up gig Birmingham 20th Feb

hurdy

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the set on setlist.fm correct? Really sad to see Love Is the Future didn't get played, hope that gets added in time for Glastonbury as it's my favourite on the album.

Edit: It's right: https://twitter.com/BenMonk/status/598631647655927808

I really wanted Love is the Future, which was in the set in February, and Dark Night.

Edited by briddj

Album is on Itunes stream now.

I love "Started Right" it's such a brilliant song. Hope they play that live.

Might just be my most anticipated set of the weekend.

Just checked setlist fm and they have been playing it! :)

hmm some notable favourite songs of mine missing from their recent setlists - i'd love to hear them do no fit state again, and never heard them do colours live. It'll still be epic though.

Top Night in Amsterdam on Tuesday.

Hot Chip are for all intents, a 7 piece now; you can listen to any one of them individually and isolate what they are are doing; each contributing individually to the Wall of Sound, each playing their part in making the whole manifest. Or listen to the whole thing , if you can get your head around it, there is an awful lot going on up there.

I will single out Sarah Jones again though. Each time she hits her drum kit. you know that she does so with passion, every single note. Her whole body pulsates with the underlying rhythm, while she syncopates and fills with profound creativity. I notice that she spends quite a bit of her time on stage grinning earnestly, beautifully with a candour that can only be explained by a huge and justified confidence in her own ability. She really is a very, very good drummer, and she knows it, but not in a bad way.

Best live band this decade, no doubt. :)

Top Night in Amsterdam on Tuesday.

Hot Chip are for all intents, a 7 piece now; you can listen to any one of them individually and isolate what they are are doing; each contributing individually to the Wall of Sound, each playing their part in making the whole manifest. Or listen to the whole thing , if you can get your head around it, there is an awful lot going on up there.

I will single out Sarah Jones again though. Each time she hits her drum kit. you know that she does so with passion, every single note. Her whole body pulsates with the underlying rhythm, while she syncopates and fills with profound creativity. I notice that she spends quite a bit of her time on stage grinning earnestly, beautifully with a candour that can only be explained by a huge and justified confidence in her own ability. She really is a very, very good drummer, and she knows it, but not in a bad way.

Best live band this decade, no doubt. :)

D'ya know what...

...Hot Chip have so many qualities that would make them the antithesis of what I look for in dance music.

Too pop

Live drumming

Too disco

But somehow, their constituent parts all merge into a band that I have come to bloody adore! It's partly Alexis' vocal which is in such contrast to modern day dancey type female wailing vocal over the beats, arms in the air cheesy chorus refrain crap; but it's mostly down to the sheer quality of the song-writing which is often quite 'simple' on the surface, but repeated listens reveal brilliant complexity.

And live, Sarah Jones holds an electronica beat as well as any drummer I've ever seen. She is masterful and, once again, give Hot Chip something that other comparable bands just can't touch.

I know that Jungle are not a direct comparison, genre-wise, but compare the music and it's brilliantly written vs. repetitve, dull-groove laden bilge...IMHO, obvs!

Ben