Lineup 2016

Matt42

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The header pool is getting smaller all the the time man, 2011 co-headers, 2014 co-headers and possibly next year. It basically is just a booking for two acts that are very close to getting there but not quite.

I'm cool with that though! Out of the three years I've attended my favourite headliners (bar Metallica) have probably been the 'smallest' in the corresponding years - Biffy, Paramore and Queens of the Stone Age. I'd much rather see the festival try something new with their headliner bookings than rebooking the same tried and tested headliners we've all seen before. 

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think this is a pretty good year for headliners. RHCP are a massive band and if it is Guns n'Roses or Stone Roses as the other outright headliner then they are both top bookings. With regards to Foals/Disclosure it's been pretty much agreed on here Foals are a headline size band now, though a weaker one, so co headlining with Disclosure only strengthens their case really. Granted I can guarantee the undercard wont be anywhere near as good but compare the 'strength' of the fellow headliners this year to when RHCP last played (Razorlight & Smashing Pumpkins) it's a definite improvement. 

Also though they are both bands I despise Imagine Dragons and The 1975 are good strong and relevant sub bookings for the crowd R&L gets these days

Edited by DGrant261

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Tbf Pulp and The Strokes was a different situation as The Strokes were initially booked to headline outright and then they found out Pulp were available outright.

And with Paramore/QOTSA, if one of them had rejected the offer the other one would have headlined outright.

Wonder what they'd have done if Foals said no to playing. I'm sure Disclosure wouldn't have headlined on their own.

Also would not be surprised if Dan is trolling us all again ;)

He wouldn't play the same card twice, he needs to gain our trust again, before then crushing us from within

2 minutes ago, ToffeePopcorn said:

He wouldn't play the same card twice, he needs to gain our trust again, before then crushing us from within

But looking at the reaction in here he's already got our trust, and may be crushing us as we speak.

Although you'd think if so he'd say something we'd find exciting, so he could laugh at us after getting our hopes up.

I am probably going to get shot down for this.. but do you think RNL could get a big upcoming band (Catfish say) on the exclusive again like they did Royal Blood? As I thought a band with the hype Catfish have got they would of been announced for T if they were playing?

Just now, supreme said:

I am probably going to get shot down for this.. but do you think RNL could get a big upcoming band (Catfish say) on the exclusive again like they did Royal Blood? As I thought a band with the hype Catfish have got they would of been announced for T if they were playing?

Well T have only announced 3 non-headline bands, all of which are bigger than Catfish, so I doubt they would have been announced.

Just now, conroy17 said:

Catfish are supposed to releasing album #2 next summer so my presumption is they'll be everywhere again.

They'd definitely go down well 3rd down on Main.

Yeah after their show at Rock City I spoked to Bondy, he said the album was 90% done and the album should be released around april / may time.

also if Imagine Dragons are subbing what justifies it?

surely anyone who wanted to see them in 2014 will have saw them then and would be watching what would be essentially the same set on the same stage?

The 1975 subbing even though I don't like them, is justified in the fact that they've never played Main before, new material, bit of hype around them etc. etc.

It'd make much more sense to me to book someone like Tame Impala or Last Shadow Puppets even another rap act; at least Macklemore was a talking point.

2 minutes ago, conroy17 said:

surely anyone who wanted to see them in 2014 will have saw them then and would be watching what would be essentially the same set on the same stage?

The 1975 subbing even though I don't like them, is justified in the fact that they've never played Main before, new material, bit of hype around them etc. etc.

It'd make much more sense to me to book someone like Tame Impala or Last Shadow Puppets even another rap act; at least Macklemore was a talking point.

They released a new album this year and are doing/have done a massive arena tour including several O2 dates. Easily justified.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

They released a new album this year and are doing/have done a massive arena tour including several O2 dates. Easily justified.

half of the singles for that album were out when they played 2014 I'm sure.

14 minutes ago, conroy17 said:

Their last tour easily justifies it.

24 minutes ago, Asdaprice said:

I'd hope it was the imagine dragons under disclosure foals co headliners, but if not then damn..

so I'm punting on

FOALS, DISCLOSURE, Imagine Dragons

RHCP, 1975, Two Door Cinema Club

GnR, Prodigy, Enter Shikari

For what it's worth, I think Imagine Dragons below RHCP is more likely. They did a huge tour and it represent the full sub slot whereas The 1975 aren't quite as big as them yet and between 2nd and 3rd is just about right. They won't get slots above that anywhere else either. I think Bloc Party will either take the 3rd slot RHCP day instead of TDCC or unfortunately headline NME against RHCP but closing day one would be just fine. Wouldn't rule out ES from heading NME either.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

For what it's worth, I think Imagine Dragons below RHCP is more likely. They did a huge tour and it represent the full sub slot whereas The 1975 aren't quite as big as them yet and between 2nd and 3rd is just about right. They won't get slots above that anywhere else either. I think Bloc Party will either take the 3rd slot RHCP day instead of TDCC or unfortunately headline NME against RHCP but closing day one would be just fine. Wouldn't rule out ES from heading NME either.

As much as they're not similar musically, I think RHCP and Bloc Party will share a decent amount of fans. I reckon a lot of the people RHCP would draw in who are slightly older than the core demographic would also be interested in Bloc Party. Early 20s people.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

As much as they're not similar musically, I think RHCP and Bloc Party will share a decent amount of fans. I reckon a lot of the people RHCP would draw in who are slightly older than the core demographic would also be interested in Bloc Party. Early 20s people.

Yeah I can see that, I like both and people I know do too. I'd love them to not clash tbh.

23 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I wasn't saying they're not justified as subs. They're undoubtedly at that level. I was questioning what justifies them playing again in a  relatively similar slot so soon after?

14 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

RHCP / Imagine Dragons / Catfish 

Years & Years 

Foals/Disclosure / The 1975 / CHVRCHES 

Enter Shikari 

GNR / The Prodigy / Frank Turner 

Bloc Party 

I'd be down for that. And yes, Gaz, I have changed my mind once again. 

That'd see me there. Would prefer to have Bloc Party clashing with Foals/Disclosure but we can't be too picky.

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

RHCP / Imagine Dragons / Catfish 

Years & Years 

Foals/Disclosure / The 1975 / CHVRCHES 

Enter Shikari 

GNR / The Prodigy / Frank Turner 

Bloc Party 

I'd be down for that. And yes, Gaz, I have changed my mind once again. 

Yeah I think I would go for that, screw the GNR and BP clash but I'd just see BP at Glasto, provided they play which I've no doubt really. I kind of see Y&Y taking a main stage spot but I can see your reason for NME.

6 minutes ago, conroy17 said:

I wasn't saying they're not justified as subs. They're undoubtedly at that level. I was questioning what justifies them playing again in a  relatively similar slot so soon after?

It wouldn't be a similar spot, it'd be a sub spot which is an upgrade.