Lineup 2016

Matt42

I thought Melvin said that he'd never book RHCP again after 2007?

Nevertheless a mixed announcement for me. RHCP have somewhat of an abundance of crowd pleasers and a good quality of back catalogue. I'd imagine that the cross over appeal would help to bring a solid crowd.

Crossfaith are a very tight outfit live and should be impressive. Slaves got a very good reception last year and would definitely check out again. 

But not overwhelmed by many of the rest. Courteeners are a bit dull as dishwater, and 1975, if subbing isn't the strongest sub. But hey, not the end of the world.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RHCP Performance in 2007 seems to have cut some people deep.

i have seen RHCP a number of times and they have been great each time(except for 2007 obviously)

They have been a huge band for over 30 years now, touring massive stadiums all over the world.They couldn't have been putting in bad performances in night after night,month after month, year after year for all that time.

Give them another chance

Edited by rivalschools.price

1 hour ago, willutalk said:

I thought Melvin said that he'd never book RHCP again after 2007?

You thought wrong as usual. 

What he said was, when asked about the Chillis awful performance, that they booked the biggest band available instead of the best available, and they won't make that mistake again.

3 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

You thought wrong as usual. 

What he said was, when asked about the Chillis awful performance, that they booked the biggest band available instead of the best available, and they won't make that mistake again.

It's gonna be a depressing line up if the Chilis are the best available.

6 minutes ago, jump said:

It's gonna be a depressing line up if the Chilis are the best available.

You expect anything other than depressing?

And for once Melvin is true to his word, they clearly haven't been putting size ahead of anything else when choosing headliners since then.

Edited by mrtourette

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the announcement. A few bands I would see but nothing special. Although I hadn't really listened to RHCP for a long time as was bitter about 2007 but listening to them now I still really like, possibly even love, them on record. I've heard they were brilliant at IOW as well so hoping they will put on a good performance this time. I'm bound to go to the fest anyways. Inevitably ends up being a lot I want to see once the lineup gets a bit fuller.

4 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

I'd assume so. I'd know pretty much everything from their first two albums due to them being 'the' band at my high school. Went to a Manchester club where they play 4 Courteeners songs last Saturday. Would anybody like the name so they can avoid it?

4 different Courteeners songs? It can't be Fifth or 42s as they only ever play You're Not 19 Forever so I'm going to guess The Venue?

Actually nobody goes to Venue so it's gotta be 42s

Edited by jonodillieono

RHCP is different band with Josh Klingoffer on guitar. They had way more energy on last tour than in 2006/2007.

It's funny thing. 2006/2007 performances were really loved by hardcore fans because of all jamming and stuff and last tour was considered bad cause he just can't solo like Frusciante but "regular" fans seemed to love it

Edited by Nicklord

21 minutes ago, VCK said:

I saw RHCP in 2007 and they weren't as bad as people say they were. They were just a bit subdued, and were on after a fantastic Arcade Fire set.

Certainly not as dreadful as those 2009 headline sets from Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys.

I saw RHCP at Leeds too and thought they were ok, it was at the end of an 18 month tour so I think they had probably had enough.

Arctic Monkeys after Prodigy in 2009 was definitely far worse than RHCP.  Gorillaz at Glastonbury being the worst headliner set I have seen.

3 minutes ago, VCK said:

If The Courteeners weren't from Manchester no-one would care about them. It's just that people are so desperate for that city to produce another Stone Roses or Oasis, that they think a mediocre Indie band will be just that.

Most people in Manchester think they are crap too, well apart from the 15,000-20,000 fans they have who turn up every Christmas to see them.

39 minutes ago, VCK said:

I saw RHCP in 2007 and they weren't as bad as people say they were. They were just a bit subdued, and were on after a fantastic Arcade Fire set.

Certainly not as dreadful as those 2009 headline sets from Kings of Leon and Arctic Monkeys.

You watched KOL instead of FNM?