Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, thelemon said:

I've been reading this thread for a while now, but signed up after seeing this and your Roses posts just to say that I really hope you're right. Like so much. I was only able to afford to go for one day last year (first time at Leeds) so chose the Sunday mainly because of Metallica, Royal Blood and Catfish, also loved watching Marmozets but was a bit gutted that Mastodon had to cancel, could they do 2016? Because I was at 'Tallica I couldn't see Wolf Alice, which I'm still trying to get over, that and not being able to see the Libs and Peace. I was so happy to see RHCP announced, and Slaves were great last year, plus Hinds, Rat Boy, Courteeners and 21P are class too. Quick question, will Catfish be playing again? They supposedly have a new album coming out some time this year so I was kinda hoping to see them again. Some of those names - WA, Vaccines, TI, TA, TDCC - are great, but what about the following:
-CHVRCHES
-Shadow Puppets
-Bully
-Carl Barat's band
-The Pretty Reckless
-MIA
-Daughter
-Young Fathers
-Courtney Barnett
-Grimes
Also, what about the third headliner? Definitely going to be Foals/Disclosure? No chance of the Strokes, Radiohead, Kasabian or Kings Of Leon? What about metal bands? Got any chance of a Slayer? Could The Prodigy possible be playing?

I know you probably don't know a lot of what I just asked, but I was wondering if you had any idea of the likelihood of any of them happening?

I'm not saying I believe any of what's being banded about, but I'm not just dismissing it. I don't know if those suggestions are silly or not, I was just getting carried away :)

It is more likely that it will be Foals/Disclosure than Stone Roses and the chances of the 3rd headlining being one of the bands suggested are pretty slim (but Radiohead would be pretty nice). Also Slayer ain't got no chance in hell of playing and I reckon Prodigy wont be at R&L this year. Also out of those others I say that CHVRCHES and Shadow Puppets have a chance. Not sure on the rest but I'm sure someone else on here will tell you

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

A DAY TO REMEMBER HEADLINING THE NME WILL RUIN ME. 

Same here. Reckon they'd be against Foals and that would be killer for me

Edited by justanothername

9 hours ago, ian-fp said:

Some good points, and I had no idea that they were strongly connected with both TITP and V (I've never been a fan). My friend might have been pulling my leg here, or someone might have been pulling his. I don't know. He's been proven to be very reliable in the past so I just take his word for everything. I thought he may have been bullshitting me when he told me BMTH were playing 2nd down from headlining last year, but I was wrong. I'm not sure how much he actually knows about band management though.

But, the fact still remains: The Stone Roses are headlining Reading and Leeds. I say that with authority.

The authority of someone who just lied about the circumstances of them being booked?

No offence and I wouldn't mind at all if it was true as there are good acts that you've listed; but - in addition to the Stone Roses thing - the bands to come and the placements already look just like something from dozens of predictions so I don't really believe you have anything.

10 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Not to mention V and T are co-owned by the same company, which is also promoting the Etihad shows. So there's no way in hell TITP knew about the comeback and V didn't.

Wrong. :rolleyes:

V fest is mostly owned by LN & MCD, with minor shareholdings for SJM and Metropolis and Branson.

T is owned by LN.

SJM are doing the Etihad shows.

SJM is totally independent, and V & T are run as distinct business units outside of the main LN offices.

There's a decent amount of necessary cooperation between the bigger promoters, but that doesn't get to mean they're telling each other their secrets. It's more likely they'll become aware of what other fests are up to via conversations they have with agents.

The Stone Roses have always been on the the list of possibilities, just way down that list due to i) lack of evidence, ii) links to other festivals that have lead them going their in the past iii) tour dates around Glasto that may point to doing that instead.

None of those should rule them out, but it could explain why they aren't expected as much as say GNR or Biffy, who have no positive evidence in their favour but maybe not as much negative (and also whose fans are willing to ignore any potentially negative).

It would certainly get me back to the festival.

Edited by mrtourette

7 hours ago, thelemon said:

Also wanted to ask, am I the only one who really can't see GNR at all? Don't R+L do a double payday? If GNR are actually asking for £8m a festival then how would it be possible with RHCP there as well?

Eight million a festival is utterly crazy, the rumoured highest in recent years is only about one million. It's never going to be entirely accurate but a jump from paying about one miliion to a band demanding eight is preposterous.

If GNR are demanding eight million a festival they won't be paying R&L.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

SJM don't own either. :rolleyes:

SJM own (I think) 10% of V fest (the majority os owned by LN & MCD). They have no stake in T.

I didn't say they owned it outright but I did think they were co-owners of both, which is verbatim plastered all over articles around the web. Is it outdated then or just wrong?

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I didn't say they owned it outright but I did think they were co-owners of both, which is verbatim plastered all over articles around the web. Is it outdated then or just wrong?

a minor stake is something less than 'co-owner'.

And care to point me at an article which says they own a share of T? It's not impossible that them taking a stake has passed me by, tho it seems odd that LN would sell off some of what they own when they tend to acquire and not sell.

6 hours ago, justanothername said:

It is more likely that it will be Foals/Disclosure than Stone Roses and the chances of the 3rd headlining being one of the bands suggested are pretty slim (but Radiohead would be pretty nice). Also Slayer ain't got no chance in hell of playing and I reckon Prodigy wont be at R&L this year. Also out of those others I say that CHVRCHES and Shadow Puppets have a chance. Not sure on the rest but I'm sure someone else on here will tell you

Same here. Reckon they'd be against Foals and that would be killer for me

As much as I'd like to see Foals first ever headline slot, there is no way on earth I would be missing ADTR headlining the NME. Its funny because last night before I came home and read all of this, I was talking with my friend and he said how it doesn't matter who plays this year, nothing will beat Limp Bizkit's set from last year. And I said that the only thing I can see trumping that show is if ADTR were to have the same slot as Bizkit had. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

a minor stake is something less than 'co-owner'.

And care to point me at an article which says they own a share of T? It's not impossible that them taking a stake has passed me by, tho it seems odd that LN would sell off some of what they own when they tend to acquire and not sell.

Can't right now but if you google Simon Moran and T in the Park together it comes up quite a lot.

Edit: Still even if the Stone Roses had never had any dealings with either festival, what Ian's said doesn't read like something that would happen with a big UK stadium band.

Happy to be proven wrong though as I'd watch all those headliners which hasn't been the case for as far as I can remember back.

Edited by dentalplan

from DF Concert's wiki page:-

DF Concerts have been majority-owned by LN-Gaiety Investments, a joint venture between Live Nation and Denis Desmond

(FYI: Denis Desmond is the guy who owns MCD. LN-Gaiety are also the sole owners of Festival Republic, and have the biggest shareholding in V and control it. Denis was originally the biggest co-owner of V [until he sold some to LN], and also used to own DF Concerts).

I see on Simon's page it says this...

Simon Moran's company co-owns the T in the Park and V Festival

... but it's not cited, so perhaps it's wrong.

I do know that he has a small share in V - which used to be 10% or 20% (I forget which), tho it's possible it's changed - and because V was all originally done with Denis as the majority owner perhaps Simon ended up with a bit of T via them working together anyway.

The way the words were written that I commented back to implied to me more control than his minor stakes are likely to give.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Axl won't give a shit as long as the money's right.

Melvin won't give a shit as long as he gets a decent ticket sale return on his investment.

I suspect Melvin Melvin would attempt to cover-off some of the possibilities, such as perhaps the band paying any licencing-overrun fine, and maybe getting a promise from them that they wouldn't mess him around this time.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I suspect Melvin Melvin would attempt to cover-off some of the possibilities, such as perhaps the band paying any licencing-overrun fine, and maybe getting a promise from them that they wouldn't mess him around this time.

Are you closer to thinking that it it might be GNR?, are they included in what you think you were given to be correct?