Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

Thats because the 2007 pic shows type 1/2 mud (on my patented mud scale), which is much easier to move about in than type 3 mud. I didn't go in 2007, but in 2011 there was deep type 3 mud everywhere (especially theatre/circus field if I remember correctly), and it was an absolute nightmare to get anywhere!

Mudscale:

1 - Water mud

2 - Sloppy mud

3 - Sticky mud

4 - Plastersine mud

5 - Dry mud (aka normal ground)

6 - Dust

Type 1 mud from 2007

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been asked (and answered) a thousand times, but I missed 2011. Am I right in remembering it had already peed it down constantly a good few weeks before the festival? I remember that video post showing the man walking around in huge puddles pretending everything was fine... Seeing as this hasn't happened this year aren't we already in a slightly better state? Even if there is one huge downpour over the weekend it should be ok again by Tuesday, shouldn't it?

Latest 06z doesn't look too bad in my opinion, bit of a worry that the low coming in from Greenland could hit but the 06z shows it sticking to areas north west of the UK. By Sunday the picture improves further as Joey says. 

Compared to yesterday's 06z, improvement perhaps? *Awaits terrible 12z run later on*

Edited by GlastoSimon

In (I think) 09 I got stuck near the pissers at the back of the Pyramid. Like proper stuck. Had to step out of my wellies onto the mud in my socks and pull the wellies out by hand. Not great.

Could've been 04 actually.

No but that wasn't the intention. He was placed there on purpose for talking loudly during gigs.

:lol: FFS!

I may get back to trolling. We're 3-4 days to early.

We're fucked.

You fucking peaked too soon you fucker! NOW TROLL NAL TROLL!!!

Heard a lot about previous insanely muddy years and the flooding in 05 what was it they exactly did to the drainage system to help prevent this in future then as people have said? And do you think that reduces the chance of to much 'type 1' like the pic above?

this is what they did: http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jun/18/musicnews.weather

nothing is impossible, but yes I'd say it massively reduced the chances. 2005 flooding was caused by bone dry ground as it was baking in the lead up, and then a month's worth of rain falling in two hours.

Heard a lot about previous insanely muddy years and the flooding in 05 what was it they exactly did to the drainage system to help prevent this in future then as people have said? And do you think that reduces the chance of to much 'type 1' like the pic above?

The drainage helps to prevent flooding like Pennards in 2005, but it doesn't stop type 1 mud from appearing - it just doesn't get as deep as it used to.

I remember parts of the markets in 1997 being literally impassable at one stage due to waist-deep type 1 mud. I haven't seen mud on that scale since 1997. 1998 looked just as bad, but I wasn't there that year.

Edited by Cheesey

Been reading this rollercoaster for the past few days. My heart can't take it. I've been accumulating the weather reports from the last few days into a spreadsheet to track the variation between different sites, which is laughable, and now the changes on the sites themselves which is also laughable. Accuweather especially is just a joke of a site. There is definitely a troll there, why else would they declare Tuesday after Glastonbury as "Brilliant Sunshine"?

Anyway taking the over-arching theme of each days weather prediction, today is the first day where that has shown an overruling trend of more rain than sun throughout the festival. This was created this morning and as I understand things have changed again since then.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/gallery/image/5041-efest2/

First time I've tried posting so apologies if it's all f*cked up.

Edited by Rob Cooper

UK Outlook for Sunday 21 Jun 2015 to Tuesday 30 Jun 2015:

Sunday will be rather cloudy for many with some showers, or perhaps longer spells of rain possible in the north. The best of the drier, brighter weather will be in the south of the country where it should feel relatively warm at times. Similar conditions are likely on Monday, although most places should see some brighter or sunny spells. There is considerable uncertainty regarding weather conditions from Tuesday onwards but it looks likely that most places should see some dry and fine spells. However, more generally unsettled weather may return later in the period, particularly for the north. It may become warm at times, especially in the south, but temperatures will remain around average or just below average in the north and west.

the latest images here:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

showing the nasty bit of 'low' steering north and not hitting the south west any more

which will also change before next week

Lows to the northwest have wobbled up and down a lot over the last 2-3 weeks, let's hope this continues it's journey north.  

As it stands, based on the weather we are having at the moment, how the outlook is looking I'm not at all concerned about it being anything less than above average this year.

Am I right in saying HAD the festival been on in 2012. Apart from the foot and mouth outbreak, it might of been cancelled. The weather was terrible in the run up and during what would of been the event...?

Sure I read that here

Edited by Swine_Glasto2014

Been reading this rollercoaster for the past few days. My heart can't take it. I've been accumulating the weather reports from the last few days into a spreadsheet to track the variation between different sites, which is laughable, and now the changes on the sites themselves which is also laughable. Accuweather especially is just a joke of a site. There is definitely a troll there, why else would they declare Tuesday after Glastonbury as "Brilliant Sunshine"?

Anyway taking the over-arching theme of each days weather prediction, today is the first day where that has shown an overruling trend of more rain than sun throughout the festival. This was created this morning and as I understand things have changed again since then.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/gallery/image/5041-efest2/

First time I've tried posting so apologies if it's all f*cked up.

Welcome, and thanks for the charts. Nothing we enjoy more than charts. Keep them coming!