Coachella

mccdyl001

For all the stick Glastonbury has received over its headliner bookings this year (and the praise that Coachella received over the diversity etc) at least we can be assured that our three headliners will deliver, if not spectacular, at least solid performances that will leave the majority of their fans happy.

Frank was always gonna be a weird one because he’s not exactly an act with an arsenal of bangers so it was always gonna be a fairly downbeat affair much like his previous tour, but who’d have known he’d be this much of a nightmare. Like em or not but Blink will deliver a better show than Frank was ever realistically going to, and more than anything, it’ll actually be fun. Haven’t looked at the updated programme yet but wonder if they’re gonna stick anything against them unlike Frank who had the entire site shut down apart from his stage. 

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Haven’t looked at the updated programme yet but wonder if they’re gonna stick anything against them unlike Frank who had the entire site shut down apart from his stage. 

Imagine that.

I don't like the headliner?

They're all that's on now.

But I wanted to get my Do Lab on!

Tough shit y'all. Either watch 'em or fuck off back to your tent.

8 hours ago, Suprefan said:

For a fracture he sure was enjoying himself on stage jumping up and down and running around. Florence Welch broke her foot on that stage and finished her set. Then came back a week later and  sat. Axl Rose broke his foot 2 weeks before Coachella and had the Grohl Throne. Im sorry, Frank found a way to get out of this and the medical excuse is valid and allows an out for him and the fest and dont gotta fully pay his ass. Blink will be fun. You guys just want them to do the lazy bump up thing and such like the eeavi. If blink hadnt played last week and they dropped this news everyone would be shocked and surprised and excited. Thats still happening. Besides, Skrillex, Four Tet and Fred again are being added to the schedule. But wait, thats not cool enough. Go try to make those decisions yourself and not ruffle any feathers and egos. Most people crumble under the pressure so dont act as if its the flick of a switch to move an artist around.

Does anyone know who this guys talking to?

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well may I ask who you expected to see headline Coachella at short notice?  Sydney Opera House perhaps?  The Hanging Gardens of Babylon?  Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain......

I have to stop myself using a variation of that pretty much every day at work.

Although I do enjoy serving two soups when I'm helping on the bar.

55 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Imagine that.

I don't like the headliner?

They're all that's on now.

But I wanted to get my Do Lab on!

Tough shit y'all. Either watch 'em or fuck off back to your tent.

That seems to jar with the 'oh, he doesn't really want all the fame' sob stories.  Do his management hate him or has he signed a really shitty contract that doesn't take into account, potentially, anxiety?

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

For all the stick Glastonbury has received over its headliner bookings this year (and the praise that Coachella received over the diversity etc) at least we can be assured that our three headliners will deliver, if not spectacular, at least solid performances that will leave the majority of their fans happy.

Frank was always gonna be a weird one because he’s not exactly an act with an arsenal of bangers so it was always gonna be a fairly downbeat affair much like his previous tour, but who’d have known he’d be this much of a nightmare. Like em or not but Blink will deliver a better show than Frank was ever realistically going to, and more than anything, it’ll actually be fun. Haven’t looked at the updated programme yet but wonder if they’re gonna stick anything against them unlike Frank who had the entire site shut down apart from his stage. 

I'm not sure Coachella deserves praise (if Glastonbury is getting criticism) for diversity!

Coachella had one female headliner on the poster (Blackpink) - but in reality, they played at 9pm and Calvin Harris actually closed the main stage.  The overall Coachella poster is 62% male - I suspect Glastonbury will be better than this.

Genre-wise, Coachella is about 40% dance/EDM - I don't think Glastonbury will have that big a % in any category.   

Coachella did have a Latin headliner plus a load of other Latin artists - but then Glastonbury is doing things like Afrobeats, and MUCH more genre diversity.

A really good Twitter thread here, looking at the Coachella lineup in more detail. 

1 minute ago, goonerben said:

I'm not sure Coachella deserves praise (if Glastonbury is getting criticism) for diversity!

Coachella had one female headliner on the poster (Blackpink) - but in reality, they played at 9pm and Calvin Harris actually closed the main stage.  The overall Coachella poster is 62% male - I suspect Glastonbury will be better than this.

Genre-wise, Coachella is about 40% dance/EDM - I don't think Glastonbury will have that big a % in any category.   

Coachella did have a Latin headliner plus a load of other Latin artists - but then Glastonbury is doing things like Afrobeats, and MUCH more genre diversity.

A really good Twitter thread here, looking at the Coachella lineup in more detail. 

I didn’t realise Calvin closed the main stage! Surely he’s the headliner then? 

how’s that different to Lizzo and GnR? 

Just now, stuie said:

I didn’t realise Calvin closed the main stage! Surely he’s the headliner then? 

how’s that different to Lizzo and GnR? 

It's no different at all - complete subterfuge to avoid criticism for 3 male headliners.  Only revealed when the set times dropped, last Thursday.

2 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Blink over Frank is a major upgrade realistically

If the only thing that matters is turning up on time, sure. Replacing one of the best singers in pop music with Tom DeLonge is criminal considering the ticket prices. But whatever 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

If the only thing that matters is turning up on time, sure. Replacing one of the best singers in pop music with Tom DeLonge is criminal considering the ticket prices. But whatever 

Everything about Blink’s set, from turning up on time, playing the hits, seeming like they actually want to be there, keeping the audience captive, and not having a ten minute DJ interlude play some of their most popular songs mid set, will be better than what Frank brought/would be bringing.

Love Frank’s music, but as a live prospect even when he does show up he rarely seems to deliver. Dude had three years to sort his shit or change his mind, so it’s hard not to be incredibly salty about him as a musician at this point, because it very much seems like he just doesn’t give a shit.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, goonerben said:

It's no different at all - complete subterfuge to avoid criticism for 3 male headliners.  Only revealed when the set times dropped, last Thursday.

Much as it annoys me to defend Coachella - I don't accept that "last on" is always the exact same thing as headliner. It's never been that common in the UK (partly because main stage curfews are on average earlier), but it has happened occasionally and still happens in Europe a bit more often where an unquestioned headliner is followed by a Dance act playing into the early hours.

As long as they got a full length slot and the benefit of darkness (and tbh I don't actually know if either was the case), then I think it's legitimate to consider Blackpink the headline act for the day.

14 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Oh dear. Fair enough if he’s genuinely injured but his time as a major festival headliner is surely finished even if he one day starts making music properly again. Just not a risk worth taking, sadly. 

he'll be fine

Swear this was his first big big gig? His biggest show here was what, Lovebox?

13 hours ago, Suprefan said:

For a fracture he sure was enjoying himself on stage jumping up and down and running around. Florence Welch broke her foot on that stage and finished her set. Then came back a week later and  sat. Axl Rose broke his foot 2 weeks before Coachella and had the Grohl Throne. Im sorry, Frank found a way to get out of this and the medical excuse is valid and allows an out for him and the fest and dont gotta fully pay his ass. Blink will be fun. You guys just want them to do the lazy bump up thing and such like the eeavi. If blink hadnt played last week and they dropped this news everyone would be shocked and surprised and excited. Thats still happening. Besides, Skrillex, Four Tet and Fred again are being added to the schedule. But wait, thats not cool enough. Go try to make those decisions yourself and not ruffle any feathers and egos. Most people crumble under the pressure so dont act as if its the flick of a switch to move an artist around.

You do realise that this forum would far prefer Blink to Frank Ocean

Let alone with golden child Four Tet and his merry band of idiots!

1 hour ago, gfa said:

he'll be fine

Parklife as well. But the feedback from those gigs was similar to the response to last Sunday, so any fest taking a punt on him in the future is just asking for trouble, unfortunately. Certainly no chance of Glastonbury going there I wouldn’t think. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, gfa said:

He headlined a festival that is no longer here in nyc, Panorama Festival, in 2017. I think that caps at 100K people. He was quite good too.  I'm really disappointed to see the fallout from Coachella.  

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Parklife as well. But the feedback from those gigs was similar to the response to last Sunday, so any fest taking a punt on him in the future is just asking for trouble, unfortunately. Certainly no chance of Glastonbury going there I wouldn’t think. 

Yeah parklife too and some other EU ones. None like proper big reading / glasto / primavera size ones though (i know parklife is like 80k but the main stage is not even close to that)

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

He headlined a festival that is no longer here in nyc, Panorama Festival, in 2017. I think that caps at 100K people. He was quite good too.  I'm really disappointed to see the fallout from Coachella.  

100k wow, surprised i've not heard of that

isn't that bigger than gov ball? what happened to it

16 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Are Goldenvoice sponsoring you to say this?

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Parklife as well. But the feedback from those gigs was similar to the response to last Sunday, so any fest taking a punt on him in the future is just asking for trouble, unfortunately.

Yup, was at Parklife, was a pretty poor performance, just seemed he had better places to be and it didn't seem very well polished or rehearsed either, despite on paper the setlist being pretty damn good. I'm in no rush to see him again if he ever did more dates, think he should just stick to making top tier music, but not bothering with live shows unless he really wants to do them, and deliver with an at least half decent show.

5 minutes ago, stanh said:

Are Goldenvoice sponsoring you to say this?

Yup, was at Parklife, was a pretty poor performance, just seemed he had better places to be and it didn't seem very well polished or rehearsed either, despite on paper the setlist being pretty damn good. I'm in no rush to see him again if he ever did more dates, think he should just stick to making top tier music, but not bothering with live shows unless he really wants to do them, and deliver with an at least half decent show.

At this stage I’d bite your hand off for either an album or some live dates he actually takes seriously. No expectation of both but currently we’ve had neither in over half a decade which is just shit frankly. He’s done well to still be seen as relevant enough for Coachella only to blow it. Very disappointing.