Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

I'm not saying top 4 is a trophy, but top 4 was the main objective and it was the most important thing that he achieved this each season, to maintain the club at the level they were at. Yeah a couple of trophies may have been nice, but they took a backseat through that period out of necessity.

Can't disagree that it was the main objective, but again, if you don't win the CL then all you're doing is chasing more money. Arsenal have only come remotely close once. Pretty much every other season they have disappointed. He did a good job of keeping them competitive. I'm not denying that, but I do think his time has come now and there are a lot of Arsenal fans who feel similarly. 

We don't know for sure that he was as financially limited as people assume as no one has come out and said for sure. Look at this summer. Arsenal, without doubt, are rolling in it. Their holding company has over £200m in the bank and one of their owners has more £ than Roman, they're just choosing not to spend, for whatever reason. Better to charge the fans than shell out themselves. 

Again, I don't support Arsenal, so I won't be reminiscent about either of those things; I just think Wenger is judged unfairly through that time by many people who don't consider the full picture.

As mjsell says above, though, his test is whether he can kick on now and I'm not sure he can. He keeps saying he'll only buy exceptional players who become available (fair enough in the case of Cech), but it was unbelievably obvious that he needed another decent option in defensive midfield and up front (maybe not now if he's going to use Walcott there full time).

Players like Kondogbia, Schneiderlin and Khedira have moved this Summer and could have been acted on.

Same with strikers like Mandzukic, Jackson Martinez, Dybala and Bacca.

They may not be as much of an upgrade on the first team as their price tag would suggest, but if Coquelin gets a decent length injury this season (he obviously will do) they're completely fucked.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers coming to Cappielow for the first time since I started supporting them. They were supposed to be playing us there a while back, but the place was such a shitehole then that we had to move it to Love Street.

We can't sit back against them. If we do, we'll get decimated. I don't think we have the quality at the back. Self belief can only get us so far, and while we have done well using that so far, I think Rangers might have too much going forward if we let them have too much of the ball. There's a good chance we'll lose either way, but we need to at least give ourselves a chance. They're going to score in this one. So we need goals, and we need to attack.

A narrow loss and a good performance is the worst thing I'll accept from this. Anything less and our confidence will be dashed and that'll be a horrendous turn of events. A win isn't completely out of reach so long as we keep doing what we're doing.

Well, I was worried about us giving them too much space and not taking the game to them. And sure enough, we didn't, and sure enough, we got humped for it. Unfortunately all too predictable.

We were better in the second half and as has often been the case, our finishing was a let down. But the feet seemed to be off the gas for Rangers and they probably could have gotten more.

Well, I was worried about us giving them too much space and not taking the game to them. And sure enough, we didn't, and sure enough, we got humped for it. Unfortunately all too predictable.

We were better in the second half and as has often been the case, our finishing was a let down. But the feet seemed to be off the gas for Rangers and they probably could have gotten more.

Very first visit to Cappielow for me on Sat, and have to say it was a bit like getting in to a time machine, and going back 40 years, still has a lot of the old character to it .

Thought that there may be some of the St Johnstone hangover there for us, but had the game won at half time.

You can probably take solace in the fact that you probably had the same amount of shots on goal as St Johnstone, but as you mentioned, your finishing let you down.

You need to get Andy Ritchie into that time machine :-)

So ... Sturridge is looking to make up for lost time. Could be interesting. :)

Certainly creating enough to be competitive. Averaging 15 shots per game. Averaging 1 goal though. But that was without Sturridge.

We'll see whats what after this horrific run they have though.

Utd too. Arsenal, Everton and City next. Chelsea, City and Arsenal all with a much easier October.

Interesting league so far. Despite the lack of killer quality.

Edited by The Nal

If Sturridge can be kept fit, he's going to be absolutely crucial, and yes, it could certainly get interesting. Especially given there doesn't seem to be a single consistently good team in the league.

There has been a consistently good 11. Problem is they haven't played the last two games. City with Kompany, Hart and Silva wouldn't have lost a game yet. Luckily for the league they have been injured.

There has been a consistently good 11. Problem is they haven't played the last two games. City with Kompany, Hart and Silva wouldn't have lost a game yet. Luckily for the league they have been injured.

You could argue it's all about how fixture lists fall, rather than how consistent a team is.

Apart from the Chelsea result(not unexpected this season haha), all results were not unexpected.

Same with United last couple of weeks.

“There are very short memories in football. The team was eighth when I got here.”

And now they're...............yep..............8th! :lol:

Kinda feel sorry for him in a way mind you. I bet hes literally praying every night that Sturridge stays fit.

How big is this Merseyside derby on Sunday?

Everton-v-Manchester-United.jpg

Edited by The Nal