Headliners with big name guests

FuzzyDunlop

portishead did it at latitude. And as per usual all it achieved was a poorer version of the song.

edit mumfords and sons brought on stage a whole host of whoppers didnt they?

edit2 and metallica had a load of drooling simpletons as special guests.

Edited by russycarps

portishead did it at latitude. And as per usual all it achieved was a poorer version of the song.

Exactly. I am not interested unless the guest

A. Appears on the song anyway

or

B. Is that much of a legend, I'd be happy if they played the spoons on stage (Bowie for example)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Now I think about it, there are quite often guests but rarely (never?) the likes that are huge - the ones that people actually speculate about. Arctic Monkeys had Miles Kane for a few songs, the Stones had Mick Taylor, Mumfords had people from HAIM, Vaccines. First Aid Kit and some others and Kanye West had Justin Vernon. It makes sense that they don't bring out megastars that'll be the talk of the gig but that won't stop people trying to pinpoint which song Bowie and Daft Punk will drop in for.

edit mumfords and sons brought on stage a whole host of whoppers didnt they?

No thats just Mumford and Sons.

Agree that it usually makes for a poorer version of the songs.

All sorts of rumours this year about Weller and Clapton appearing with The Who but they weren't missed.

No thats just Mumford and Sons.

Agree that it usually makes for a poorer version of the songs.

All sorts of rumours this year about Weller and Clapton appearing with The Who but they weren't missed.

dunno if you're a fan of portishead or not but you'd have gone mental if you'd seen them at latitude when thom yorke came on and did his stupid wobbly head dance thing and had his mike set as louder than beths. During the rip as well, the c**t.

I was fucking furious.

dunno if you're a fan of portishead or not but you'd have gone mental if you'd seen them at latitude when thom yorke came on and did his stupid wobbly head dance thing and had his mike set as louder than beths. During the rip as well, the c**t.

I was fucking furious.

You can't hold him responsible for having his mike louder than Beth, he's not the soundman! 

I was fucking furious.

Thats the best gig ever for some people.

No not a huge fan outside of Dummy but only because I haven't really dabbled. Must do.

Bombay Bicycle Club had a brass steel band come out to join them & Kylie came out for a song with Scissor Sisters in 2010.

Not really a special guest but Friendly Fires had some hula dancers come out on stage & then hand out Lei's to members of the crowd & Kesha had her mom come & join her on stage wearing a massive pink willy suit in 2011.

Schlomo joined Marcus Brigstocke up on stage for a beat box battle but I think this has happened before.

Edit: didn't see you were after headliners

Edited by Couchy

Now I think about it, there are quite often guests but rarely (never?) the likes that are huge - the ones that people actually speculate about. Arctic Monkeys had Miles Kane for a few songs, the Stones had Mick Taylor, Mumfords had people from HAIM, Vaccines. First Aid Kit and some others and Kanye West had Justin Vernon. It makes sense that they don't bring out megastars that'll be the talk of the gig but that won't stop people trying to pinpoint which song Bowie and Daft Punk will drop in for.

When Miles Kane played JP in 2013 Alex Turner joined him at the end for Standing Next To Me.  That one worked really well because it was actually a song that they did as a group rather than shoehorning him in as a guest vocalist.

Personally I really enjoyed the Uptown Funk silliness from Mark Ronson this year as well as a closer.

Too often it does seem done to hype the crowd up because the main act is a bit lacklusture.  Using Ronson as an example again, I really enjoyed Boy George rocking up for Somebody To Love Me, but as much as I love Do You Really Want To Hurt Me and enjoyed BG singing it, it felt shoehorned in to get a singalong going.

Thats the best gig ever for some people.

No not a huge fan outside of Dummy but only because I haven't really dabbled. Must do.

Yep, the radiohead fans in the crowd (you could spot them a mile off, natch) were visibly erect.

I havent listened to a portishead studio record in years and years. I just listen to the bootleg from the glastonbury gig. Well worth getting, I think it's widely available online. 

There's only two more albums so dabbling won't take that long!

All three albums are worth owning definitely.

Yep, the radiohead fans in the crowd (you could spot them a mile off, natch) were visibly erect.

I havent listened to a portishead studio record in years and years. I just listen to the bootleg from the glastonbury gig. Well worth getting, I think it's widely available online. 

Halway through Dummy here. Forgot how great it was!