The Last Shadow Puppets

silkworm

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Mardy said:

That thing about MK being a bit of a sleaze to a female journalist was pretty nasty the other day, really put me off them.

yeah I found that pretty difficult to stomach. I've never been a fan of any of Miles' bands (aside from TLSP) or his solo stuff - always thought he seemed like a bit of a hanger on - but that was a really nasty read. Feel a bit weird about having tickets to see them now. Not sure I'll be able to enjoy them in the same way again

3 hours ago, somecoolusername said:

yeah I found that pretty difficult to stomach. I've never been a fan of any of Miles' bands (aside from TLSP) or his solo stuff - always thought he seemed like a bit of a hanger on - but that was a really nasty read. Feel a bit weird about having tickets to see them now. Not sure I'll be able to enjoy them in the same way again

I feel exactly the same. Such a shame as I love the first album and a big AT fan, but I think it'll feel dirty enjoying them knowing he's such a sleaze.

5 hours ago, somecoolusername said:

I am a fan of Miles' solo stuff, and he is just a hanger on. It's fairly simple indie rock, there's no way he'd have the profile he does without Turner or the TLSP output, would have been lost in the late 00's/early 10's indie mire.

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

I am a fan of Miles' solo stuff, and he is just a hanger on. It's fairly simple indie rock, there's no way he'd have the profile he does without Turner or the TLSP output, would have been lost in the late 00's/early 10's indie mire.

It amuses me how they're even labelled a 'supergroup' when his solo stuff came after TLSP and his stuff before barely registered on a pretty freeflowing time in British indie rock. The man has managed to get by on very little obvious talent and a fair bit of help from high profile support slots and Alex co-writing most of his first album and Weller amongst others mucking in on his second album, all developing from striking up a friendship with Alex while supporting Arctic Monkeys wasn't it? Very lucky anyway.

The new song is good though. It probably would've been better within the flow of the album but it at least installed a bit of interest which had been drained by Bad Habits and Mr. Kane's bad habits while being interviewed.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It amuses me how they're even labelled a 'supergroup' when his solo stuff came after TLSP and his stuff before barely registered on a pretty freeflowing time in British indie rock. The man has managed to get by on very little obvious talent and a fair bit of help from high profile support slots and Alex co-writing most of his first album and Weller amongst others mucking in on his second album, all developing from striking up a friendship with Alex while supporting Arctic Monkeys wasn't it? Very lucky anyway.

The new song is good though. It probably would've been better within the flow of the album but it at least installed a bit of interest which had been drained by Bad Habits and Mr. Kane's bad habits while being interviewed.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there in terms of why he is where he is. Admittedly he's rather good live if indie rock is your thing (which for me used to be the be all and end all, not so much now, part of which is done to this forum!) and he's definitely better than the likes of Shubunkin and the BahaMen. But again it's very much indie by numbers. Pretty sure the Kane/Turner relationship goes back to before the first Arctics album, as there's videos from the 2005 Astoria gig of Turner wearing a Little Flames T-shirt. Without Turner I'm pretty sure he'd have faded into obscurity, and would never have reached the echelons of such indie greats as The Rifles.

On 10/03/2016 at 6:08 PM, joelovesleeds! said:

I feel exactly the same. Such a shame as I love the first album and a big AT fan, but I think it'll feel dirty enjoying them knowing he's such a sleaze.

There has been a massive crackdown in recent years on the  misogyny that's still ongoing in the music industry but it seems like there are still artists like Miles Kane who think they're touring with Led Zeppelin in the mid 70s. I like the new song though and although some are accusing him of being a hanger on I think his voice does work well with Alex Turners (which is maybe something he doesn't have in the Arctic Monkeys).  

Edited by addicted2noise

17 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

There has been a massive crackdown in recent years on the  misogyny that's still ongoing in the music industry but it seems like there are still artists like Miles Kane who think they're touring with Led Zeppelin in the mid 70s. I like the new song though and although some are accusing him of being a hanger on I think his voice does work well with Alex Turners (which is maybe something he doesn't have in the Arctic Monkeys).  

I'm going to sound like a misogynist apologist here, but what he said and did in that article wasn't 1970's level at all.  Obviously still not acceptable in this day and age, but relatively mild in comparison to normal behaviour 40 years ago. The journalist was totally justified in her reaction, but I got the impression the Miles incident was just one of many times people have acted inappropriately and made her feel uncomfortable. This was the straw that broke the donkey's back, that made her - quite rightly - speak out.

Just now, DJ Cull said:

I disagree, the first track was shite

it's grown on me quite a bit. definitely not what i expected and i hope the sound of that song is somewhat of a one off on the album, but it's not too bad - just sounds like it could've been done by any number of bands. second song is far better and more interesting

Hey All,

I loved the LSP first album and Alex is a personal hero. I like Kane in theory in the same way I like courteeners, in as much as they're old fashioned, working class, try hards, if kind of uninspired?

some one pointed out MK's stuff is 'Indy by numbers' this is a pretty perfect reflection I fee.

I listened to his 2nd solo album and it reminded me of Aldous Snow's songs in the movie 'get him to the Greek'. Great film, performed brilliantly by Russell Brand, but is that all Kane is? A posing, sex addicted wannabe? Maybe.

The recent interview is socially disappointing. Musically, its fairly ten a penny I presume. Either way, if LSP are at GF, I'll almost certainly go along to watch