Scull99

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

I'm really not sure whether I want to go on my own? Anyone got any past experiences?

I have camped on my own loads. I actually prefer it in a lot of ways to going with friends. I love the freedom I have to do what I want and to not feel any need to try and fit in with others. I camped with a solo group from these boards once and to be honest did not enjoy the experience. Each to their own and all that but in my experience, camping alone is great. I guarantee that, as Ben said, you will never truly be alone at Glastonbury.

3 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

I've had longer periods of being a little bit isolated at Latitude, but still OK, as I plan my festivals so carefully that I am always busy. The slightly more difficult times for me have been the night time as I am a dance junkie and doing that very much on your own can be a bit lonely - however, a brilliant DJ and getting off your head can temper that.

For Glastonbury, I spent so long 'talking' to people on here that I felt I knew people pretty well, and so breaking the ice and being with completely new people was so much easier. If you want to go, and are planning on camping with the solo gang, I suggest you read lots on here, get a feel for who seems nice in the solo group, strike up a bit of a dialogue and go from there. I ended up spending So much time with other people that I hadn't known 1-2 days before! Numbers exchanged, texting each other to find where we werer at nihgt, what were we up to? Did we want to meet up? And I am not disimilar to you in being, at least intially, not the greatest at feeling confident in the company of people I don't know. Hey, if it helps, you could always PM me and I can arrange to meet you at some point! The eFests meet on the Wednesday seems incredibly daunting to 'people like yo uand me', but was REALLY great. Everyone was lovely and I felt part of the GF family immediately.

:o)

Ben

Thank you very much for all your advice. I would love the freedom side of being able to see who I wanted to see and do what I wanted to do. But I really think I would find it too lonely. I don't really drink or take drugs so I'm considered quite boring by most people at festivals. And going without my girlfriend is just going to be plain strange. She will probably also be going but with some other people and seeing her there will not make for a fun weekend. (I now await for someone to jump in and tell me to grow up and not let my ex ruin glastonbury for me) 

17 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

Thank you very much for all your advice. I would love the freedom side of being able to see who I wanted to see and do what I wanted to do. But I really think I would find it too lonely. I don't really drink or take drugs so I'm considered quite boring by most people at festivals. And going without my girlfriend is just going to be plain strange. She will probably also be going but with some other people and seeing her there will not make for a fun weekend. (I now await for someone to jump in and tell me to grow up and not let my ex ruin glastonbury for me) 

If you don't want to see your ex there then you won't. As you know it's a pretty big place!! If I had no one to go with I would definitely join a solo group! Best of both worlds I feel. I would too struggle with night times. Day would be ok but night in the naughty corner, I would want some company. You will be fine. You should so go!! 

Edited by Curlygirl

Hey, I was in the same boat as you last year, I went on my own and I was nervous about not having anyone to talk to and being on my own all the time, but the camp solo group that I joined was one of the best things I ever did, there was always someone to go to a gig with and get some food with, and we all camped in the same place.

We also set up a whatsapp group which is still going and we keep in regular contact.

We are all camping again this year, so if you want to join us, please shout and I will get you set up into our whatsapp group so you can talk to everyone.

All the best

Steve

9 minutes ago, Scull99 said:

Hey, I was in the same boat as you last year, I went on my own and I was nervous about not having anyone to talk to and being on my own all the time, but the camp solo group that I joined was one of the best things I ever did, there was always someone to go to a gig with and get some food with, and we all camped in the same place.

We also set up a whatsapp group which is still going and we keep in regular contact.

We are all camping again this year, so if you want to join us, please shout and I will get you set up into our whatsapp group so you can talk to everyone.

All the best

Steve

And that is Glastonbury...

DO IT, Adam!

:D

Ben

13 hours ago, AdamWillingham said:

I don't really drink or take drugs so I'm considered quite boring by most people at festivals.

Hi Adam. I do not do drugs and I hardly drink at all at Glastonbury. And it really does not matter one bit what others think of what you do/don't do at the festival. Going alone like I do is great, camping with friends is great and if you decide to join one of the camping groups on efestivals that's cool too. The important thing is to do what you feel is right for you. It's your choice, nobody elses. Once you have made that decision, go to Glastonbury and have a fantastic time!

6 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

And that is Glastonbury...

DO IT, Adam!

:D

Ben

6 hours ago, sime said:

Hi Adam. I do not do drugs and I hardly drink at all at Glastonbury. And it really does not matter one bit what others think of what you do/don't do at the festival. Going alone like I do is great, camping with friends is great and if you decide to join one of the camping groups on efestivals that's cool too. The important thing is to do what you feel is right for you. It's your choice, nobody elses. Once you have made that decision, go to Glastonbury and have a fantastic time!

Thank you everyone for all your kind words. I think I will have to decide nearer the time as everything is still very fresh at the moment and I need to get myself sorted out. 

so will be going alone this year after the wife has decided to get pregnant (Apparently I have played some part in this) and have been with and with out people with an ex and friend and without camping with other solo campers on here a few years ago - 2011. from my experience I preferred the solo group as it was exciting to meet new people and spend time with them ended up spending very little time alone. I'm lead to believe this group became according to some clicky after this but as I haven't been since I can neither confirm this or not.

would I recommend going for it absolutely its a great thing to do and when I went and was nervous about saying hello I simply closed my eyes and took a deep breath and said hello at that point I was committed and went with the flow.

If I'm welcome I would love to join this new group I'm not the most exciting person I get pissed easily and never been a late night person but I'm friendly and like to think funny. if anyone wants to pm me for a chat feel free the point I feel is to remember we are all in the same boat.  

Hi everyone 

so I've got the same dilemma. Got tickets with my best mate and her other half. They're now getting married this year and decided not to go as need money etc so if I go I'll be alone. Another friend is going to try resale but not optimistic 

If I go I'm mainly worried about the camping. I've been once before in 2013 and my mates got there wed am to pitch all our tents. When I arrived in the evening the place was full!! Plus would it be safe on my own as a female?! A 36 year old married one at that! 

I think the line up this year will be amazing so gutted to think I can't go...

Izzy 

Last years camp was in Darble.  The first of us arrived early doors and picked a location and there was plenty of space all throughout the day and well into Thursday, with gap enough for any arrivals later than that, space wasn't an issue there.

Safety was something that the camp brought for people, as knowing your neighbours and there being different people around pretty much all the time meant that everyone kept an eye out for everyone else.  No one in the camp was a victim of theft, no one acted like a total tit and no one was antisocial, if you are going alone and a bit nervy I would recommend it.

7 hours ago, iizzyy said:

Plus would it be safe on my own as a female?! A 36 year old married one at that! 

Izzy 

Married 40 yr old female here and went on my own for the first time last yr and felt perfectly safe. Admittedly stayed at worthy view, but camping this yr so I say go for it.

11 hours ago, iizzyy said:

Hi everyone 

so I've got the same dilemma. Got tickets with my best mate and her other half. They're now getting married this year and decided not to go as need money etc so if I go I'll be alone. Another friend is going to try resale but not optimistic 

If I go I'm mainly worried about the camping. I've been once before in 2013 and my mates got there wed am to pitch all our tents. When I arrived in the evening the place was full!! Plus would it be safe on my own as a female?! A 36 year old married one at that! 

Izzy 

Just to reiterate what Spindles said last year Camp Solo was on the outskirts of the site just by the coach drop off and although most arrived on Wednesday some came on Thursday and even Friday I think and there was plenty of room for all plus a communal sitting out / campfire area.

As far as I know there were no safety or security issues in camp last year and although there were probably more single males than females everyone I saw just got on in a non threatening Glasto kind of way.

Age range varied from late teens to mid 50s

Edited by tjamest

1 hour ago, tjamest said:

Just to reiterate what Spindles said last year Camp Solo was on the outskirts of the site just by the coach drop off and although most arrived on Wednesday some came on Thursday and even Friday I think and there was plenty of room for all plus a communal sitting out / campfire area.

As far as I know there were no safety or security issues in camp last year and although there were probably more single males than females everyone I saw just got on in a non threatening Glasto kind of way.

Age range varied from late teens to mid 50s

did many people end up going around together or was it just camp only then everyone went the own way

7 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Bit of both really. Some people spent time in groups, or arranged meet ups to see bands whilst others preferred to do their own thing with the knowledge that they would be among like minded souls when they returned to camp.  

I was in Camp Solo this year and ended up doing the latter out of my own choice really. I still had a really great time and it was great to have people to chat to when I returned every evening. There were groups there if I fancied going around with a group but most of the time I was on my own.

Edited by BlackHole2006

I was the latter too. I enjoy the freedom to do my own thing but it is also nice to have a chat about the days experiences when you return. It was also good in the mornings even if only just to nod and grunt a greeting to your neighbours without the feeling that you may be intruding in someone else's business