Camping Alone? Join us

Scull99

12 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

I've been with a solo group before and know how great it is although very daunting to walk over and say hi

Yes - enterring into camp for the first time on Wednesday afternoon was a bit daunting and I must admit I could easily have carried on walking, but I am definitely glad I made the effort last year.

I'm sure that there was many in or around the camp who  were too nervous to make themselves known, but I'm also sure that just knowing they were in an environment of like minded people  with at least this forum in common would have helped take a bit of the worry away and give them a better overall experience

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, tjamest said:

Yes - enterring into camp for the first time on Wednesday afternoon was a bit daunting and I must admit I could easily have carried on walking, but I am definitely glad I made the effort last year.

I'm sure that there was many in or around the camp who  were too nervous to make themselves known, but I'm also sure that just knowing they were in an environment of like minded people  with at least this forum in common would have helped take a bit of the worry away and give them a better overall experience

to be honest just having the balls to walk over and say hi gave me a boost like you say its easier to just walk by (Although nothing wrong with this) even if  it went wrong at least I did it and bit the bullet.

did anyone go to the efest meet from the group??

1 hour ago, Respectfatfrog said:

to be honest just having the balls to walk over and say hi gave me a boost like you say its easier to just walk by (Although nothing wrong with this) even if  it went wrong at least I did it and bit the bullet.

did anyone go to the efest meet from the group??

Yeah a few of us did, me being one of them. I also attended the NFR meet on the thursday as well

Since 2010 I've been with mates 3 times and on my own twice. Once I camped on my own and the other i joined up with the 2014 group on here (The mighty Camp Ralph).

I can definitely recommend joining one of the solo camping groups. As others have said, having someone to chat to when you arrive, when you go back to the tent and when you get up in the morning adds a great deal, even if you then wander off on your own for the rest of the day.

Last year Camp Ralph opted not to organise a repeat of the camp on here as many friendships were struck up the year before so it wouldn't really be a solo thing, we didn't want to get into the clique situation that had reportedly happened in previous years. The batton was passed on to a new group which I believe became Camp Solo? Hints and tips, experience etc. were given to the new lot. I don't know if they helped or not or even if they were completely ignored :). Camp Ralph still exists and will be there again next year. I will once again be avoiding them like the plague!

Even if you don't join a Camp like Ralph or Solo, I've found Glasto one of the easiest places to make friends when going alone.  Just say hello to your neighbours, offer them a cup of coffee or drink and you're on the way.

On 9 January 2016 at 10:55 PM, AdamWillingham said:

Thank you very much for all your advice. I would love the freedom side of being able to see who I wanted to see and do what I wanted to do. But I really think I would find it too lonely. I don't really drink or take drugs so I'm considered quite boring by most people at festivals. And going without my girlfriend is just going to be plain strange. She will probably also be going but with some other people and seeing her there will not make for a fun weekend. (I now await for someone to jump in and tell me to grow up and not let my ex ruin glastonbury for me) 

Hi, went for the first time last year and camped with the solo group, it was defo one of the best experiences I've ever had. It was nice to have people hang out with, while not feeling obligated to do so.

There was a wide range of people in the group (age, interests, drinking limits) ha!

Also I'd say the chances of bumping into your ex are very slim, the place is HUGE!

Joining a solo camping group is great fun. I used to to go with various friends but the group got smaller over the years as they had families, marriage,etc and did other things. I'd occasionally browbeat someone into going but their love of music wasn't that great and I ended up having a terrible time. Went with solo campers in 2014, had an awesome time, met some great people. Same group (Camp Ralph) did it again last year and Ben joined us; really great time again. Plus, if you're lucky, you get some like Ben in your group who is the King of Tent Erections! Honestly, never seen a finer erection of a tent than his.

'Tent Erections' sounds dodgier than I mean. You can bounce a coin off his tent.

Edited by Keithy

On 21/01/2016 at 6:27 AM, poppunkprincess_eryn said:

I'm interested in tagging along!  I'm from California and I don't know anyone in the UK...

You'll soon get to know people when your at Glastonbury. If you get to the efests meet up on Wednesday it'll be a start. Then just wander around for the rest of the time and talk to who you like. Enjoy. :)

On 21 January 2016 at 6:27 AM, poppunkprincess_eryn said:

I'm interested in tagging along!  I'm from California and I don't know anyone in the UK...

From recollection last year in Camp Solo we had a couple of Americans, at least 1 Australian girl and from all sorts of backgrounds , ages and gender, it was quite a cool group and we had the flexibility to go see bands with a few new friends, or just go it alone for the day, knowing that when you got back there was always someone to say hello to at the fire, or as someone else said, nod and grunt to in the morning. Bring a decent chair, thats all I'll say, they became a premium. And get ready for a really great experience. Anyone feeling nervous etc. about meeting or doing it, that's natural - but do it, come over, say hello, its safe and friendly and you'll have a great time.

Oh...and Who is making the flag this year? and what are we going to call the group?

18 minutes ago, snapagig said:

From recollection last year in Camp Solo we had a couple of Americans, at least 1 Australian girl and from all sorts of backgrounds , ages and gender, it was quite a cool group and we had the flexibility to go see bands with a few new friends, or just go it alone for the day, knowing that when you got back there was always someone to say hello to at the fire, or as someone else said, nod and grunt to in the morning. Bring a decent chair, thats all I'll say, they became a premium. And get ready for a really great experience. Anyone feeling nervous etc. about meeting or doing it, that's natural - but do it, come over, say hello, its safe and friendly and you'll have a great time.

Oh...and Who is making the flag this year? and what are we going to call the group?

Hey mate, we are carrying on with Camp Solo, were all still in contact on the whatsapp group which I can add you to if you wish. were also inviting new recruits as we know how terrifying it can be going alone.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but you're not now solo-ers, but a group of established friends. ;)

your opinion I accept. I look at it as people are buying tickets on their own tickets, we camped together for 4/5 days, some people have left, some people have stayed, we are simply opening up the door for anyone else who is going on their own. We all have the experience of camping alone and we know how scary it is. If they wish to be join, people can easily drop me a message... so come on people get joining :):)

28 minutes ago, Scull99 said:

your opinion I accept. I look at it as people are buying tickets on their own tickets, we camped together for 4/5 days, some people have left, some people have stayed, we are simply opening up the door for anyone else who is going on their own. We all have the experience of camping alone and we know how scary it is. If they wish to be join, people can easily drop me a message... so come on people get joining :):)

I don't have a problem with you asking people to join, but I think it's fair to present as it is. There's a different dynamic between a group where everyone is new to one where most are not.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I don't have a problem with you asking people to join, but I think it's fair to present as it is. There's a different dynamic between a group where everyone is new to one where most are not.

Precisely why we didn't do a solo group again last year and camped together again. We had become good friends and weren't 'solo' any more. I'd also add that part of the fun of the solo group was the setting it up and getting to know each other via this forum which also helped with the excitement of going. Can't say I would have gotten involved with an already established group of friends. Its a different dynamic when everyone is new and meeting each other for the first time. 

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Exactly. Me and another joined camp try angle one year only to find a lot of people talking to each other and not us.

4 minutes ago, thurlow84 said:

We arent stopping another solo camp forming If someone wants to start one up

We are just giving folk another option if they need it

But its not 'another' solo group. Its this already established group or another solo group. I think Neil was merely pointing out that the title is somewhat misleading.