Scull99

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8 January 2016 at 7:16 PM, AdamWillingham said:

Do you not find that it gets very lonely? 

I'm not very good at making friends and talking to people and I usually end up just sticking to myself. 

I have been 3 times before with my girlfriend but we are no longer together so its either I go on my own or not at all. 

Do it mate , I'm going solo after my mates pulled out , balance paid , let's party 

On 18 March 2016 at 0:16 AM, Ray Sheep said:

Hey all, 

It looks like my friend and her partner who I was supposed to be pitching with are gonna drop out now that Adele has been confirmed as the final pyramid headliner - apparently the final straw for them after disappointment with Muse and Coldplay. (I know the festival is about much more than this and there are loads of other things to see / do instead of just focusing on the main acts - but each to their own and all that...I think some other stuff might be going on too that has led to this seemingly crazy decision.)

So...might I be welcome to join your solo camping group? I'm probably gonna get a coach from London to arrive at 5-6am on the Wednesday morning but don't mind waiting around to camp till afternoon / evening if others aren't arriving until much later. 

I have a friend arriving alone on the Thursday afternoon / evening after work - might she be able to join us too, if there is sufficient space? 

We're both females in our thirties. I'm also not an Adele fan to be honest, but often spend more time at the other stage headliners or elsewhere onsite anyways. I usually pitch in Pennards but haven't been able to attend since 2011 (extremely excited to be returning to the farm!) and am interested in considering other camping areas / finding out more about site changes in the past 4-5 years. 

Cheers!

Paula :)

Adele being the pyramid headliner means an early exit for me and avoiding the traffic !! 

I'm on my own for 1st time 

looking forward to it with apprehension 

31 minutes ago, Libertine1975 said:

Adele being the pyramid headliner means an early exit for me and avoiding the traffic !! 

I'm on my own for 1st time 

looking forward to it with apprehension 

Isn't Adele headlining Saturday...you're gonna miss all of Sunday and ELO?

You're never really on your own at Glasto :)

I've never pitched by myself before but spend a fair amount of time wandering around the site on my tod...quite looking forward to trying something a bit different really.

9 minutes ago, Ray Sheep said:

Isn't Adele headlining Saturday...you're gonna miss all of Sunday and ELO?

You're never really on your own at Glasto :)

I've never pitched by myself before but spend a fair amount of time wandering around the site on my tod...quite looking forward to trying something a bit different really.

Ah , ok I'll be in shangri la then , not missing Sunday fo no one

First time alone mate?

1 minute ago, Libertine1975 said:

Ah , ok I'll be in shangri la then , not missing Sunday fo no one

First time alone mate?

Good decision!

One of my mates is still coming but not arriving until Thursday eve...other than that yeah I'll be alone for the first time :) 

Hey yo!

Just wanted to give a big shout out to @Scull99 for all his hard work,  keeping the Camp Solo dream alive and ignoring the negativity posted by some people.

Without going on too much of a rant I just wanted to address a few of the negative comments.....not to try and win an argument that some people have already made their mind up on but to help people who are considering joining Camp Solo to make an informed decision.

As far as returning Camp Solo members no longer being 'solo' is concerned. Everyone in Camp Solo is a solo camper who would be camping Solo this year if Camp Solo didn't return. Some members of Camp Solo did make friends last year.....is that a bad thing? Just because there are now preexisting friendships doesn't mean we will not embrace new members of Camp Solo.....and we hope those new members will join Camp Solo again in 2017 with their own preexisting friendships.

The rule we have in Camp Solo (which is more of a preference than a hardline rule) is that new members should be people who are attending Glastonbury alone. After that Camp Solo becomes more flexible as the lives of Camp Solo members change. For example, if an existing member of Camp Solo gets a boyfriend or girlfriend who they would like to bring they would be embraced in to the group.

At the end of the day, the rules can change as the group evolves but the agenda of Camp Solo is to offer a safe, welcoming, friendly and fun environment for people who might otherwise feel lonely or a bit afraid of attending such a big event on their own.

I can't comment on or Camp Ralph but their decision to not allow new members to join was just that, their decision.

Camp Solo is different. We see ourselves as a group that (hopefully) will continually evolve with some people leaving and new members joining. Existing members of Camp Solo are just as excited about meeting new people as the new people are about joining.

Camp Solo can be whatever you want it to be as long as you show respect to fellow Camp mates. You can spend every minute of everyday with fellow Camp Solo members, you can spend all your time alone and just feel safe that you are camping next to people you are familiar with, or you can just dip in and out of the group as you choose.

Last year when I set up Camp Solo I was worried about who would be coming along. Social weirdos, drug taking lunatics, creepy men trying to perv on women (or women/men, men/men, women/women).....but those worries were quickly put aside over a few friendly ciders and a bit of dad dancing to Lionel Ritchie.

So take the plunge, you won't regret it.....we're all looking forward to meeting you!

As far as I am aware (although it was before my time) any issues about returning campers happened a few years ago where Camp Triangle became very cliquey and new solo campers ended up feeling excluded. Whether that was actually the case I don't know.

I went last year on my own and appreciated having a home base with a wide variety of fellow festival goers of varying ages, backgrounds and nationalities all having Glastonbury as a common bond. I love the freedom of going to gigs and festivals solo and last year spent all my time away from the camp on my own, but really enjoyed having a base where you could get involved as much or as little as you liked with your fellow campers.

1 hour ago, iamthegr81 said:

Camp Solo can be whatever you want it to be as long as you show respect to fellow Camp mates. You can spend every minute of everyday with fellow Camp Solo members, you can spend all your time alone and just feel safe that you are camping next to people you are familiar with, or you can just dip in and out of the group as you choose.

From my point of view this  quote is what it is all about and long may it continue

Edited by tjamest

4 hours ago, tjamest said:

Me too, although I'm also on Thurlow's list - is it all one and the same?

It is guys, im checking the email replys from everyone who camped last year and scullys adding folk from here to whatsapp group and taking details down

22 hours ago, Ansippi said:

Hi guys, first time Glastonbury for me and I would love to be part of this group! Have been hesitating a bit about going but after reading all this I believe I have changed my mind :) 

First time for me too. Decided to pay the ticket balance and I'm

now officially going to be at Glastonbury! Alone. Hoping not to bottle it as I know I'll regret it if I don't go. Just very worried about being completely clueless and on my own!