Self Confirmed 2016

JoeyT

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Pet Shop Boys are utterly fantastic.

Just for the record, Pet Shop Bots are as shit as you can get without being UB40. 

Excruciating, twee, up its own arse, soulless guff of the highest order. The new song is laughably poor, almost a parody of themselves and all the appalling shite they have produced since he stopped writing for Smash Hits.

West End Girls Is their one redeamable feature.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I don't care what instruments they play either as long as they play instruments. The writing their own song is more of a reference to pop acts that sing nothing that they have written before especially worse when it's songs we have all heard a million times before from a million other acts. Because that is definitely not being creative. 

Ok I should say I don't care if they play instruments. Somebody singing a song they didn't write has no effect on how good the song is, the creativity may well have come from a back-room songwriter in the same way a great singer-songwriter may use a creative drummer.

21 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

What about The Chemical Brothers? They don't play instruments but they're clearly heavily influenced by The Beatles as they use Tomorrow Never Knows for the intro to all of their gigs

I don't like every band, act or solo artist that has ever been influenced by a band that I like and yes I like Chemical Brothers early stuff but not so keen on probably their last 3 albums. I do like some acts that don't always play instruments but if it's all noise and clearly no instruments being used on the record then I'm unlikely to like it. 

If they're a dance act like the Chemical Brothers and they turn up to a live show without at least a backing band then its a bit disappointing but it's not as bad as say a band like lets say if Radiohead were to turn up without instruments.

18 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Ok I should say I don't care if they play instruments. Somebody singing a song they didn't write has no effect on how good the song is, the creativity may well have come from a back-room songwriter in the same way a great singer-songwriter may use a creative drummer.

That's fair enough if that's what you think. I mean I like Motown and that is basically good singers with only the odd act writing their own songs or playing instruments. 

My initial comment was partly injest. I just find it weird and interesting how people decide what they think is good music. I have Autism and like everything to make sense yet I'm obsessed with music which is completely random. 

33 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Just for the record, Pet Shop Bots are as shit as you can get without being UB40. 

Excruciating, twee, up its own arse, soulless guff of the highest order. The new song is laughably poor, almost a parody of themselves and all the appalling shite they have produced since he stopped writing for Smash Hits.

I am going to watch Ali Campbell version of UB40 on the 26th April :-)

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

I do jest. I realise that Glastonbury is for everyone. I just find it funny that people on here love some bands but hate bands that are similarly influenced. Like people who say they love the Beatles but hate Oasis or vice versa.

Surely people don't just like music if it's new sounding? Or am I the only person who likes music because it's similar to other music I like.

Just for the record, I fucking loath oasis 

48 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Hehehe, as if to prove a point, Gnomicide is a lovely man, a solid fucking diamond and all round hero. But utterly totally completely wrong about the Pet Shop Boys

Wrong on both counts there, Mardy :D

Thanks though.

29 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am going to watch Ali Campbell version of UB40 on the 26th April :-)

Saw them last year at IOW and sorry to say they were bloody awful, embarressingly awful in fact.

i hope it was a one off and you have more luck with them.

18 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Saw them last year at IOW and sorry to say they were bloody awful, embarressingly awful in fact.

i hope it was a one off and you have more luck with them.

I am just going for craic. Should be a decent night. Not really arsed whether UB40 are any cop.

37 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Just for the record, I fucking loath oasis 

Fair enough. I love them but they were the first new band I really got into when I was 10. Before then it was old bands that my dad loved like The Jam, Buzzcocks, Undertones, The Who, Sex Pistols, The Kinks etc so you can see why Oasis would of appealed. 

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Pet Shop Boys are indeed terrible.

I mean, listen to it. Toe curling stuff, sounds like it was knocked out by a couple of school kids instructed to write the closing number for particularly poor play that the teachers assistant wrote about his nightmare experience at Durham Uni.