Socks

kevbizarre

8 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Provided your boots are waterproof, gaiters all the way - you can get a decent pair for ~ £25 at Go Outdoors.  Other shops are available :)

Gaiters & boots will keep out anything short of actually standing in running water (In practice, I've happily splashed through ankle deep streams in them & been fine.) Gaiters also have the huge advantage of keeping your laces clean - impossible to underestimate how important this is, nothing worse than getting hands covered in cr@p taking your boots off.

For me, I've never found a pair of wellies that quite fit right - that plus the fact they're not breathable (Unless you go for leather/goretex ones) puts me right off.  Encasing your feet in rubber for 5 days? No thanks :wacko:

If you can afford to splash out on fancy leather/goretex ones, they're fantastic - but it's a lot of money.

As for waterproof trousers, I am taking a pair but prob would only wear them if it looked like solid wall to wall rain all day.  Otherwise they're more trouble that they're worth, the bottoms always get muddy whether you're wearing wellies or boots.  Nightmare to take off.

Shorts will get wet but dry out quick - just make sure you've got anything damp-sensitive sealed up in a tin or bag, not just shoved it a pocket.  Had a near miss with my phone in 2013, forgot it was in my pocket when it rained on the Thursday - when I took it out literally had dribbles of water all over the screen! Luckily still worked. :rolleyes:

EDITED TO ADD: If going for gaiters - definitely get breathable ones.  Sweaty legs are no fun.

Thanks for the words!

Turns out the boots aren't waterproof - or at least, I left them standing in an inch of water for an hour and plenty of water came flooding out after I turned them upside down. Sigh.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this instead of starting a new thread....

I have worn wellies or flipflops at Glastonbury, however after last year (When I suffered a nasty slide off the Greenpeace raised wooden walkway trying to get past idiots sitting on it in chairs instead of in front of the stage! ) I have invested in a pair of walking boots.

So let's talk about socks, are the 1000 mile ones worth the money?? 

Yes they most definately are. Although I use bamboo socks these days as they're cheaper, more colourful and just as comfortable. I walked 81.49 miles in cheap Asda wellies and bamboo socks in the mud of last year and didn't have one blister. Though I did suffer Glastonbury toe for 5 months

15 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Yes they most definately are. Although I use bamboo socks these days as they're cheaper, more colourful and just as comfortable. I walked 81.49 miles in cheap Asda wellies and bamboo socks in the mud of last year and didn't have one blister. Though I did suffer Glastonbury toe for 5 months

Can you please link some up?

9 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Mosh pit days have passed me by, but YES 2010 was the year of the flip flop!! 

Me too. I accidentally got caught in one at Kendal and just had to go with it! It was great fun actually but I was knackered after haha 

I tuck my jeans inside my wellies. Totally prevents any welly rub. If it rains I slip my wet weather trousers over them both. This is ofcourse no help to anyone wearing a skirt, dress, kilt or sarong.