Bon Iver 2017

Amy Lawn

Am listening to the new album currently having never listened to Bon Iver ever before. My initial reaction is - why the hell have I never listened before?! How has he/they slipped through my net for so long?

And if I get tickets tonight he/they (someone please correct me either way) could very easily become a tradition on t-days.

13 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Am listening to the new album currently having never listened to Bon Iver ever before. My initial reaction is - why the hell have I never listened before?! How has he/they slipped through my net for so long?

And if I get tickets tonight he/they (someone please correct me either way) could very easily become a tradition on t-days.

It's a 'they', but only in the way Florence + The Machine is a 'they'.. it's basically 'Justin Vernon and some glorified backing musicians'

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

It's a 'they', but only in the way Florence + The Machine is a 'they'.. it's basically 'Justin Vernon and some glorified backing musicians'

The guy that came on stage with Kanye in 2015? Well I never. Its a shame he didnt sing instead of him.

Gave it a first listen yesterday and it sounded very fucking good. Never got into their previous stuff but I'm right on board with them playing Glasto 16 now. Radiohead sub or Other/JP opposite Sheeran would be nice. Could see them going up against the Roses, though, which would be annoying. I imagine Bon Iver would be much better but I doubt I'll ever get another chance to see the Roses as I won't pay their gig prices.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Never got into their previous stuff but I'm right on board with them playing Glasto 16 now.

I saw this coming a mile off. ;)

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given Solange's, it's maybe not even the best album released this week.

Given Danny Brown's, it definitely isn't. Haven't listened to Seat at the Table though.

6 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Made No 2 in the album chart, for all that means these days. Beaten by Craig David but For Emma didn't even break the Top 40 so he's definitely getting bigger

was obviously gonna do well but that's pretty good going! more and more starting to think he'll be a Other headliner, and i hope to god it's on Sheeran night

18 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Made No 2 in the album chart, for all that means these days. Beaten by Craig David but For Emma didn't even break the Top 40 so he's definitely getting bigger

I'll preface this by saying I don't think it means anything... but I checked Buzzjack because you said this and he's actually gone and sold 12,000 less with 22, A Million this week than he did on first week sales with Bon Iver, Bon Iver (BI, BI to you) ... but his album leaked forever ago and he was already big enough to sub main or headline Other so it doesn't mean anything.

Edited by dentalplan
doesn't mean anything

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I'll preface this by saying I don't think it means anything... but I checked Buzzjack because you said this and he's actually gone and sold 12,000 less with 22, A Million this week than he did on first week sales with Bon Iver, Bon Iver (BI, BI to you) ... but his album leaked forever ago and he was already big enough to sub main or headline Other so it doesn't mean anything.

I think it has the legs to out perform Bon Iver in the long run, with the exception of 1 or 2 songs and the odd song titles I think it's probably his most accessible album to date.    

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bon-iver/2016/the-fox-theater-oakland-ca-23fd40af.html

The first proper show of the 22AM tour. Looks like hes sticking with the eaux Claire approach and doing an album run through before delving in to deeper cuts. Happy with that as I'm convinced the album is my AOTY.

I welcome back Blindsided. Hope Heavenly Father sticks around as well. Seems a bit short tho. Will be expecting a longer set in Feb.

2 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bon-iver/2016/the-fox-theater-oakland-ca-23fd40af.html

The first proper show of the 22AM tour. Looks like hes sticking with the eaux Claire approach and doing an album run through before delving in to deeper cuts. Happy with that as I'm convinced the album is my AOTY.

I welcome back Blindsided. Hope Heavenly Father sticks around as well. Seems a bit short tho. Will be expecting a longer set in Feb.

I'd be hoping for a longer set too but I wouldn't hold your breath, if it was the same at Eaux Claire and now his North American tour it'll probably remain that length too in Europe.

I hope Bon Iver don't sub Radiohead, cos I'll have gotten myself a good spot for him, then I'll need to go for a piss when he's finished, and will loose my good spot for Radiohead! Ideally I'd like something absolutely shitty crap to sub Radiohead, so that everyone then fucks off out of there leaving acres of space for me to casually stroll in twirling a cane to get a front row spot for my favourite band ever. 

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just remembered something I saw mentioned by some playa on another forum (Inforoo) to not expect Bon and the lads in anything other than main stage headline slots because of his demands for set lengths, fees, placings, etc. Not by any means saying this is what is happening as I know we enjoy ruling acts in or out - plus I'm sure it was mentioned in regards to US festivals - but it might be something to look out for in the festivals he does end up playing eg. Northside over Roskilde or Dour over Werchter and stuff like that.

Plus if he was to break that 'rule' for any festival it'd probably be Glasto as he loves the place and has been spotted sleeping in a nearby stable.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just remembered something I saw mentioned by some playa on another forum (Inforoo) to not expect Bon and the lads in anything other than main stage headline slots because of his demands for set lengths, fees, placings, etc. Not by any means saying this is what is happening as I know we enjoy ruling acts in or out - plus I'm sure it was mentioned in regards to US festivals - but it might be something to look out for in the festivals he does end up playing eg. Northside over Roskilde or Dour over Werchter and stuff like that.

Plus if he was to break that 'rule' for any festival it'd probably be Glasto as he loves the place and has been spotted sleeping in a nearby stable.

If he was breaking that rule for Glasto it would suggest to me that Other headliner is more likely that Pyramid sub then. 

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

yeah i'm firmly in the mind frame that he/they'll be headlining Other now, probably against Foo Fighters

That would be ideal. Radiohead on Friday, Bon and the lads on Sunday and somebody a bit Justice-y on WH on Saturday night