NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

9 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Morning  (well afternoon but I'm still in my pj's so morning :) )

Not really a spirit drinker or a drinker at all really but all this rum talk is making me fancy a rum...gin you can keep bleurgh, unless it's a posh frozen cocktaily thing that's almost a sorbet, that I could probably enjoy.

Cognac I do like a little nip from the OH hip flask,  warms you nicely in the cold night in a field, or sat by a canal in the Dam waiting for restaurant to open, as we did Christmas eve :D

Probably the wrong place to admit this but I hate being drunk, I'm an awful drunk, not pleasant to be around at all so a few ciders over the course of the day will be all I'll have, and then with all the fresh air/walking/dancing they don't even really have an effect.

I do get slightly envious of all these infusions you all do but again I'd have a few sips, enjoy the taste then be a terrible drunk.

Dry & warm here today, not sunny but no wet stuff :)

Off for a bimble into town, trying to break my boots in, not walking boots as such but sturdy so if (sorry when!) it's dry at Glasto they should be perfect.  I've decided to say fuck to society and their idea of acceptable clothing today and I'm going to wear my new gold dress with said boots :)

Happy Sunday nfr nfc  enjoy!

Gold dress and walking boots sounds like perfect Sunday best!

I don't drink much at Glastonbury because I have no sense of direction even when I'm sober;  I do like to settle down with a nightcap back at the caravan (if I can find it).

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Normally about 3 minutes?

:lol:

It's always good to recognise what kind of drunk you are and whether or not you like being that way Georgie. Now me, I'm a happy bimbly drunk. Until I drink whisky, at which point I seem to become a terrible bastard!

Used to move from beers to JD & coke, and it was hitting the the whisky when already posses that was the killer. So I allow myself a whisky if it's the end of the night and we're winding down, otherwise not a sniff!

4 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Why thank you, I thought so too :) I'm going the whole hog and wearing my 1000 mile socks as well :D

I almost wish my sense of direction was poor as I'd love to get lost at Glasto but alas my constant studying of "The Map" left me always knowing where I was and how to get to the next place...I could even direct friends that had been a few times before.  It was like I'd done all the theory but only had chance for the practical exam last year!

I don't like the out of control feeling I get when drunk, and no one wants to be near a loud, shouty, overbearing middle aged women!  I'm much nicer on the illicit cocktails and I find them much more fun ;) don't seem to lose control then either, must be the years of practice :D

I've seen whisky do that to many people, they go from a happy slurry drunk to a mean fighty drunk, not fun, much better as a nightcap.

Slurry drunk:  so drunk you sit down for a poo in the long drops?

7 hours ago, Quark said:

FTFY :)

Chatting with the barman on Friday night we both reckon that rum and tequila are the next ones. Rum is already getting there, and with tequila more people are picking up on the different types available and getting past the idea of Jose, lime and salt.

Hope it's not too bad FF, at least your prepared. And you obviously have our gratitude for taking the hit :)

Right. I have a grapevine to tie up and some sweet peas to plant out...

My friend had a tequila bar in Liverpool, he has moved to America now but the bar, albiet small, is ever popular. Gin is huge in Liverpool at the moment. Rum is forever brilliant though. 

19 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

My friend had a tequila bar in Liverpool, he has moved to America now but the bar, albiet small, is ever popular. Gin is huge in Liverpool at the moment. Rum is forever brilliant though. 

Bar ca va???

I tried gin for the first time just short of 5 years ago when I met my, now, wife. It was her tipple of choice, and she offered me a glass of G & T (it's got to be slimline). Well, that was it, I was, and still am, hooked. It really is a lovely drink as long as you get the right gin and the right slimline tonic. Neither of these have to be the expensive type either. In fact, the best tonic that we have found is from Aldi at 37p a bottle. What does make me almost weep is when I am forced, because of time constraints, to buy a couple of bottles of Shweppes slimline tonic at £1.46 a bottle from the Co-op because her indoors cannot drink the Co-op's own label tonic (47p).  So, I buy her two bottles of Shweppes and me two bottles of their own brand in those situations. 

Anyway, would you believe it but I haven't had a drink myself since about 9.30pm last night. I am now about to right that wrong though.

6 hours ago, Bisque said:

It turns women into quivering emotional wrecks

Hahaha.. I told the wife I was gonna star drinking gin and that she had to do the same.. She said exactly the same thing.. 

It's our 27th wedding anniversary tomo and we're sat here nice and quiet enjoying each others company and Sharon enjoying me being quite lol... 

No gin then can't stand emotional women lol.. 

12 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Hahaha.. I told the wife I was gonna star drinking gin and that she had to do the same.. She said exactly the same thing.. 

It's our 27th wedding anniversary tomo and we're sat here nice and quiet enjoying each others company and Sharon enjoying me being quite lol... 

No gin then can't stand emotional women lol.. 

My wife drinks at least a 70cl bottle of gin a day and it doesn't alter her emotional state in the slightest. The good thing I have found about solely drinking G & T's in copious amounts is that I have never had a hangover since I started drinking them (as I said previously - just under 5 years now). Both the tonic and the ice must act together in rehydrating the body. If I throw a couple of bottles of red wine in to the G & T proceedings, then I can feel a bit iffy the next day.

6 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

My wife drinks at least a 70cl bottle of gin a day and it doesn't alter her emotional state in the slightest. The good thing I have found about solely drinking G & T's in copious amounts is that I have never had a hangover since I started drinking them (as I said previously - just under 5 years now). Both the tonic and the ice must act together in rehydrating the body. If I throw a couple of bottles of red wine in to the G & T proceedings, then I can feel a bit iffy the next day.

Yog I worry about you and Mrs Yog.  Though that's because I couldn't function after a tenth of what you guys drink.

6 hours ago, Quark said:

:lol:

It's always good to recognise what kind of drunk you are and whether or not you like being that way Georgie. Now me, I'm a happy bimbly drunk. Until I drink whisky, at which point I seem to become a terrible bastard!

Used to move from beers to JD & coke, and it was hitting the the whisky when already posses that was the killer. So I allow myself a whisky if it's the end of the night and we're winding down, otherwise not a sniff!

I'm not sure what sort of drunk I am cos I'm usually to drunk to remember to find out... 

No praise to the weather gods so your gonna get this 

52-01-GLAST19870101.jpg

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That surprises me these days. Normally if I get one of those, walk straight out and the next one - or at worst the one after - is fine. Don't tend to use long drops in oxlyers or Se corner though. 

PS I can identify it. It's shit!

I definitely think the SE corner needs more loos....there should be more all around tbh but I suppose there's only so much room... 

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That surprises me these days. Normally if I get one of those, walk straight out and the next one - or at worst the one after - is fine. Don't tend to use long drops in oxlyers or Se corner though. 

PS I can identify it. It's shit!

You're right that last year the long drops were better, but I made the executive decision that whenever needing a poo I only used the compost loos, which were much nicer, and didn't stink (unlike the poo!).

Just now, dizzymoo said:

Yog I worry about you and Mrs Yog.  Though that's because I couldn't function after a tenth of what you guys drink.

Hello dizzymoo,

I actually drink less now than I used to drink. I used to be a ferocious drunkard. For me, it started with going out with peers who were also second generation Irish. There really was a very strong drinking culture within that group. Then as the years passed by I became sad internally (or noticed an internal sadness) and drank to forget, as they say. Then I met my wife, found happiness, and found that I was drinking less. Then again, within about a month of meeting my wife we both discovered mephedrone. Once we started taking this we both noticed that our alcohol consumption was dramatically reduced. Instead of drinking G & T's like they were going out of fashion, we found that we were 'nursing' drinks over long periods of time. However then we realised that we had a mephedrone problem! This decision to come off that was forged when our dealer moved to another part of the country and we just decided not to find another. 

As for my wife, if truth be known, she's been an alcoholic since her early teens. I do worry about her consumption and the ravaging effects that it has on her body. That said, and bewilderingly barmy, she had some tests taken only a couple of years ago at the QE Hospital in Birmingham and they indicated that her liver was perfectly OK, and that there was no sign of the damage one would expect for such a heavy drinker. 

While on this subject a friend who is a doctor called around to visit us earlier today ( he may well be reading this as he is an occasional efests lurker. If you are, hello F) to talk to us about our addictions. We told him that we have already thought about giving up the drugs (something I may do once Glastonbury is over) and having a drug free life together. He indicated that we should both stop drinking too, otherwise we'll fall back in to drug use. Given that he deals with these issues on a professional basis probably every day of his life, then I suspect that mathematically speaking he is probably right. I think we can do it though, and still have a drink. Time will tell. 

Thanks for your concern dizzymoo. Hope that you are having a lovely Bank Holiday weekend. :)

9 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello dizzymoo,

I actually drink less now than I used to drink. I used to be a ferocious drunkard. For me, it started with going out with peers who were also second generation Irish. There really was a very strong drinking culture within that group. Then as the years passed by I became sad internally (or noticed an internal sadness) and drank to forget, as they say. Then I met my wife, found happiness, and found that I was drinking less. Then again, within about a month of meeting my wife we both discovered mephedrone. Once we started taking this we both noticed that our alcohol consumption was dramatically reduced. Instead of drinking G & T's like they were going out of fashion, we found that we were 'nursing' drinks over long periods of time. However then we realised that we had a mephedrone problem! This decision to come off that was forged when our dealer moved to another part of the country and we just decided not to find another. 

As for my wife, if truth be known, she's been an alcoholic since her early teens. I do worry about her consumption and the ravaging effects that it has on her body. That said, and bewilderingly barmy, she had some tests taken only a couple of years ago at the QE Hospital in Birmingham and they indicated that her liver was perfectly OK, and that there was no sign of the damage one would expect for such a heavy drinker. 

While on this subject a friend who is a doctor called around to visit us earlier today ( he may well be reading this as he is an occasional efests lurker. If you are, hello F) to talk to us about our addictions. We told him that we have already thought about giving up the drugs (something I may do once Glastonbury is over) and having a drug free life together. He indicated that we should both stop drinking too, otherwise we'll fall back in to drug use. Given that he deals with these issues on a professional basis probably every day of his life, then I suspect that mathematically speaking he is probably right. I think we can do it though, and still have a drink. Time will tell. 

Thanks for your concern dizzymoo. Hope that you are having a lovely Bank Holiday weekend. :)

I love your openness Yog.  So many people would be defensive but you seem to have a hard won honesty with yourself and others.

Warm hugs to you and Mrs Yog xx

As an antidote to Guy's pic, we saw a few of these this afternoon

20170430_154237.jpg

1 hour ago, dizzymoo said:

You're right that last year the long drops were better, but I made the executive decision that whenever needing a poo I only used the compost loos, which were much nicer, and didn't stink (unlike the poo!).

I don't really get to make executive decisions about my poo!! Especially at Glastonbury where any time not enjoying myself is time wasted, so I always end up hanging on as long as I can, and when it finally comes due I get no say in the matter! :lol:

21 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Morning  (well afternoon but I'm still in my pj's so morning :) )

Not really a spirit drinker or a drinker at all really but all this rum talk is making me fancy a rum...gin you can keep bleurgh, unless it's a posh frozen cocktaily thing that's almost a sorbet, that I could probably enjoy.

Cognac I do like a little nip from the OH hip flask,  warms you nicely in the cold night in a field, or sat by a canal in the Dam waiting for restaurant to open, as we did Christmas eve :D

Probably the wrong place to admit this but I hate being drunk, I'm an awful drunk, not pleasant to be around at all so a few ciders over the course of the day will be all I'll have, and then with all the fresh air/walking/dancing they don't even really have an effect.

I do get slightly envious of all these infusions you all do but again I'd have a few sips, enjoy the taste then be a terrible drunk.

Dry & warm here today, not sunny but no wet stuff :)

Off for a bimble into town, trying to break my boots in, not walking boots as such but sturdy so if (sorry when!) it's dry at Glasto they should be perfect.  I've decided to say fuck to society and their idea of acceptable clothing today and I'm going to wear my new gold dress with said boots :)

Happy Sunday nfr nfc  enjoy!

I'm a terrible drunk too, especially on cider, I get paranoid and think everyone's judging me xxx 

14 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That was my first thought but I think the joke was on the word slurry. 

Squatters (obviously not all of them) are what cause unusable toilet seats. Especially now there are so many urinals for men with bad aim to use. 

a joke explanation and a public service anouncement in one post.  i bet the hours just fly by chez scruff.

I am reporting back to NFR re local festival yesterday.  It's was soggy and cold, wellies, rain mac and a hat and scarf were worn all day... It rained wet wet rain for all but about 2 hours, still danced my little tooties off and had a great time ..... 4500 tickets available,e 2000 tickets sold, :-( (it was all local bands and DJs but had 2 stages a small dance tent and a silent disco ) 1500 people arrived but with comings and goings peak time only about 600 people... Bloody good day though :-) 

today I will be mainly getting dry and thawing out - I hope I have pleased the weather gods :-)