What's your exit strategy?

kalifire

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

This is particularly unenjoyable living in Glasgow, the coach home is fucking murder for want of a better phrase. Considering flying home this year, just to spend less time actually travelling 

We fly back to Glasgow every year. 8/9pm flight. It’s heaven knowing you’ve got all day on Monday to sleep, pack, re-hydrate, sleep some more, let the traffic clear. Highly recommend it. 

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

We’ve got a coach back this year at 10am, don’t think I’ve done that before. Due back in Canterbury at 3ish, then another hour to get home from there, I guess. Hopefully can just kip/stare out the window

Oh you must live nearish to me. I didn’t know there were coaches to Canterbury, that wouldn’t be too bad. We’re driving but picking up two people which makes me feel less bad about adding to the congestion. Used to always get the coach when I lived in London.

Just now, Phoenix Girl said:

Oh you must live nearish to me. I didn’t know there were coaches to Canterbury, that wouldn’t be too bad. We’re driving but picking up two people which makes me feel less bad about adding to the congestion. Used to always get the coach when I lived in London.

There’s a national express to/from Canterbury. Never used it before, we’ll see how it goes.

(I live in Deal. Well, Moscow most of the year, Deal some of the time)

1 minute ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Medway here, and i had no idea Canterbury was an option. 

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Medway here, and i had no idea Canterbury was an option. 

Seems alright on the timing. Leaves Canterbury 7am on the Wednesday, due into Glastonbury about midday. Just hope we don’t get stuck in traffic near the site

Just now, Mardy said:

Seems alright on the timing. Leaves Canterbury 7am on the Wednesday, due into Glastonbury about midday. Just hope we don’t get stuck in traffic near the site

Good to know for next time. My husband does the driving tbf but I’d rather we got the coach then he can fully enjoy the Sunday. Arriving midday Wednesday is fine for me - I’m not one for queuing all night.

I live in St Margarets so I’m practically your neighbour. I love Deal (Moscow I’m not as familiar with!) 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Thanks.  Will certainly look out for it next time

54 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Ambulance?!

Maybe we need a thread for WORST exit stories...

a cut I got on my leg on the way in  got infected ... went to medical centre after the stones ... was ambulanced out ...ive got type 1 diabetes so I was on a drip for a few days ... the hospital had some amusement with my fancy dress turning up ..

WhatsApp Image 2013-07-14 at 20.46.56.jpeg

Edited by crazyfool1

I’m definitely one for packing up my stuff at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning. 

Then I lug it back to the car. 

Breakfast on the way back in. 

It feels like a weight off my mind (and back) for later on.

If I’m at the festival with any of my kids, we leave after the headliner on Sunday and I’m showered, having a few beers and watching highlights on TV by 1am-ish.

If not with the kids - kipping in a one man tent - I take everything bar the tent & sleeping bag back to the car, don’t go too hard on Sunday and then after a short kip leave early Monday morning when here’s no traffic. 

Can’t be doing with the lock ups on a Sunday. Too busy. 

2 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

This is particularly unenjoyable living in Glasgow, the coach home is fucking murder for want of a better phrase. Considering flying home this year, just to spend less time actually travelling 

We put the non essentials in the car Sunday morn, have a good last day Sunday, back to tent,  have a kip and drive up home on Monday. It’s ahaul but can’t waste a Sunday not having fun so we can drive home that night.  This time might try and drive through cheddar to reach motorway. Anyone tried that? 

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

My first day of recovery is Tuesday. Spent Sunday using what gear I’ve got left over and carrying on well onto 6/7AM. Wake up when I wake up Monday and off I go. 

Sunday night usually one of the best nights!

Sunday 2015 was amazing. Chemicals on the other then one crazy night. 

Devoured what can only be described as a pick n mix lucky dip and raved all night.

Got back to the tent at 6ish my mate who'd gone back earlier was all packed up and ready to go. 

I could have cried.

I thought I'd better sort myself out so went to use the long drop clean my teeth etc promptly shat myself on the way to the bog so walked back to the tent cleaned myself up then got my mate to drive my car home.

Maybe an exit strategy isn't such a bad idea after all ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dccool said:

Devoured what can only be described as a pick n mix lucky dip and raved all night.

Got back to the tent at 6ish my mate who'd gone back earlier was all packed up and ready to go. 

I could have cried.

I thought I'd better sort myself out so went to use the long drop clean my teeth etc promptly shat myself on the way to the bog so walked back to the tent cleaned myself up then got my mate to drive my car home.

I like the serene way you casually walked back to your tent in the midst of all that! 

7 minutes ago, dccool said:

I could have cried.

It happens to us all mate, happens to us all.

5 minutes ago, MJP said:

I only found out in the last few years that I shat myself in my mums womb due to the chord being wrapped round by neck--I didn't know such a thing was possible! Sorry mum... 

2 hours ago, rubick said:

Largely depends on afternoon flight time. 

Word of advice to WV campers that have to make the airport - the shuttle buses from WV back round to the coach gates on Monday morning are sporadic so don't rely on the times - we have had to walk across the site WV - Other Stage - Silver Hayes - Coach Pickup twice to make sure we got our 9.30am coach to Bristol. One of these trips included the joys of 2016 mud. 2017 was actually quite pleasant, relatively speaking. Takes a good 45-50min walk at pace. 

Think we've sorted a later Monday afternoon flight home this year. 

I can’t even imagine the stress of getting a flight on Monday...

We booked a nice hotel in Bristol and then spent Monday between our bed and the pool/jacuzzi/sauna. Same again this year, worth every penny

Surely it can't be just me who finds that waking up on Monday morning the most depressingly sad thing they've ever seen? A few years I've woken up at the crack of dawn (or rather not gone to sleep having spent the sunrise at the stone circle) and seeing everyone wary eyes and packing away. I just get too emotional. All the noises of the walkways, the slamming toilet doors etc. All being heard for the last time

As for leaving I normally leave early hours Monday after sunrise, the only year I found to be hell was that really muddy one in '16 when tractors were pulling everyone out and the car parks were utter carnage. No one would let anyone in from the side roads (so much for glasto spirit) and cars were struggling to stay on the main pathways. I almost cried when a steward finally arrived and stopped the cars to let us join the main flow of leaving traffic. A true festival hero.

23 minutes ago, MJP said:

Not the first time and annoyingly I know it won't be the last

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I only found out in the last few years that I shat myself in my mums womb due to the chord being wrapped round by neck--I didn't know such a thing was possible! Sorry mum... 

Hahaha post of the day. 

Is that actually possible ?

As we are wv tend to head back up after headliners for last beers at strummerville or at wv bar . Back by 1 ish up whenever pack up have breakfast near site then leisurely drive back up north . Home afternoon then lazy Tuesday before back to grindstone . 

Must admit it's surprised me how many people who I've seen leave Sunday morning or before headliners .

22 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Surely it can't be just me who finds that waking up on Monday morning the most depressingly sad thing they've ever seen? A few years I've woken up at the crack of dawn (or rather not gone to sleep having spent the sunrise at the stone circle) and seeing everyone wary eyes and packing away. I just get too emotional. All the noises of the walkways, the slamming toilet doors etc. All being heard for the last time

As for leaving I normally leave early hours Monday after sunrise, the only year I found to be hell was that really muddy one in '16 when tractors were pulling everyone out and the car parks were utter carnage. No one would let anyone in from the side roads (so much for glasto spirit) and cars were struggling to stay on the main pathways. I almost cried when a steward finally arrived and stopped the cars to let us join the main flow of leaving traffic. A true festival hero.

I hate unzipping my tent on the Monday morning and seeing most of the surrounding tents have vanishes--the whole atmosphere has gone, the longdrops and bins are close to overfilling and there's rubbish everywhere, I find it so depressing I leave as quickly as possible

4 minutes ago, crocodiles said:

But admire those who can pull an all nighter and then stand in coach line 

Yeah, even in my days of overindulgence I had to have at least an hour of sleep just to draw a line under the partying and try to reset my brain - don't know how people manage with no sleep whatsoever