What alcohol do you bring?

FestiZebra

It always amazes me how cheap alcohol is in the UK. Here in Australia they tax the bejesus out of it. 

I’ll be taking in my traditional eight cans of Scrumpy Jack, and a litre of vodka (usually Russian Standard but it’ll be something else this year). I buy mixers from the bars and top them up. I usually have room for a few pints as well depending on the temperature (I don’t drink when it’s hot). 

13 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is making me think i don't have enough - how are you going through over 700ml of spirits + everything else a day! the bars must hate you!

I don't really know myself, if I tried drinking that much on a regular day at home I'd be totally wiped out. Think it's something about the festival & fresh air... 🙂 I guess each day is 12 hours+ from the first to the last drink so it's pretty spread out. 

Also I tend to share the spirits around a bit 😃

I definitely do also buy from the bars, slightly worryingly. 😂

ETA: Actually I've just realised I got my numbers a little wonky, I don't take quite as much spirits as I first put down. More like one bottle of premixed booze + mixer and about 500ml of straight spirits each night.

Edited by jimmillen

I’m going by train /on foot so I’m really gonna have to think hard about this one, 2019 we ran out of beer before we got in the gate but I’ll probably be able to take about 12x440ml cans and make sure I strictly have them as my breakfast hair-of-the-dogs. I’ll be largely drinking the bars dry but it’s Glastonbury so moneys no object for that 

decanted bottle of wine, and a Litre of Gin and a Litre of Whisky , although I’m toying with the idea of Southern Comfort this year, gives me proper festival vibes  

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It always amazes me how cheap alcohol is in the UK. Here in Australia they tax the bejesus out of it. 

I’ll be taking in my traditional eight cans of Scrumpy Jack, and a litre of vodka (usually Russian Standard but it’ll be something else this year). I buy mixers from the bars and top them up. I usually have room for a few pints as well depending on the temperature (I don’t drink when it’s hot). 

And we still get taxed to the gills on it here in comparison to a lot of Europe. £11.50 of the price of a litre bottle of 40% ABV spirits is duty, plus an additional 20% VAT to go on top of that.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

love this thread.

Desperados, maybe some red stripes..then litre of rum, mixed with ginger ale,  vodka and orange for breakfast, sets you up, tequila for those late night shot and buy cold beers from the bars. I cant even remember the lager, was it Tuborg, not been since 2017

12 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I don't really know myself, if I tried drinking that much on a regular day at home I'd be totally wiped out. Think it's something about the festival & fresh air... 🙂 I guess each day is 12 hours+ from the first to the last drink so it's pretty spread out. 

Also I tend to share the spirits around a bit 😃

I definitely do also buy from the bars, slightly worryingly. 😂

ETA: Actually I've just realised I got my numbers a little wonky, I don't take quite as much spirits as I first put down. More like one bottle of premixed booze + mixer and about 500ml of straight spirits each night.

I get you - i definitely drink a fair bit too, my number is probably on the low side as I'm on the coach. We're filling the 2 GA people's boot to the brim with tins is the plan!

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Do they sell big bottles of mixer (tonic, lemonade etc) in coop by the way? Getting the coach this year so keen to shed as much weight as possible! 

yup

2 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

I've started having sober Sundays at festivals. It's really cool - you end up drinking things you wouldn't normally drink, and you don't have that shitty after-feeling when you're packing away...am I old? Lol

I’m kind of the opposite, I find I need to drink about twice as much alcohol by the time Sunday rolls around to be able to feel the least bit tipsy and energised.

7 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

I've started having sober Sundays at festivals. It's really cool - you end up drinking things you wouldn't normally drink, and you don't have that shitty after-feeling when you're packing away...am I old? Lol

We’ve had to leave early doors Monday the past few festivals to get back for the kids, as such I tend to only have 1-2 pints Sunday and lots of water. 

Tend to feel pretty normal by Tuesday. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

As a fellow getting old man I adopt a similar strategy... helps the early Monday morning departure and i'm normally running out of steam by Sunday night 🙂

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Perks said:

love this thread.

Desperados, maybe some red stripes..then litre of rum, mixed with ginger ale,  vodka and orange for breakfast, sets you up, tequila for those late night shot and buy cold beers from the bars. I cant even remember the lager, was it Tuborg, not been since 2017

2019 lagers were San Miguel and Carlsberg Export En Mass, Brooklyn Lager was seen in some bars as well , so I mean that’s a pretty solid selection across the board for a festival these days, would kill for some extra selection still though 

I normally bring a dozen carefully curated craft beers from one of my favourite local off-licences which always has a good selection. This means some good quality beer for weds-thursday. For the rest of the festival I will make a cash contribution to the red wine box and communal ciders. Other than that I am happy to buy from the bars and most importantly the cider bus.

about 30 cans of frozen cider packed into a cool box surrounded by ice cubes ..... this year as im on the bus I need to do this a day early so im thinking I might use my work walk in freezer and freeze a load of cans and make a solid lump of ice surrounding them by filling the gaps with water .... should still be fine on the sunday ... probably take some rum too 

None because I don't drink alcohol but a plentiful supply of Red Bull and other soft drinks.  Luckily with a caravan with a fridge things can be kept cool.  When we tented we kept our drinks in a washing up bowl filled with water with a tea towel dipping into the water over the top.  The old evaporation causes cooling used to work and keep things fairly well chilled.

Edited by grumpyhack

Large crate of beer, undecided on what yet this year but likely Kronenbourg. 

1L of Rum.

1L of Vodka. 

I tend to buy plenty of cold pints throughout the festival, particularly from the Brothers Bar and Cider Bus. Buy mixers from the bars as well for the spirits. 

Edited by drjonnybananas

32 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

None because I don't drink alcohol but a plentiful supply of Red Bull and other soft drinks.  Luckily with a caravan with a fridge things can be kept cool.  When we tented we kept our drinks in a washing up bowl filled with water with a tea towel dipping into the water over the top.  The old evaporation causes cooling used to work and keep things fairly well chilled.

This is a great reminder for me to ask - does the co-op sell red bull and if so is it only single cans or can you get multipacks? If its single cans we'd probably bring a slab of the dreaded blue spark from tescos or something.

They sell individual red bull at the bars too right? any idea how much? Also are there small off licenses around the site for cigs/vapes - Boardmasters had one last year and i've never really seen one before at a festival.

Edited by gfa