guypjfreak

I met John le Carré many times. Naturally, on each occasion he was undercover and in disguise, perhaps as a postman, a priest, or a young Latvian nurse. I’d say, "I know it’s you, John!" But he never broke character, and sometimes went to the extent of having me arrested. Legend.

• Upvote 1

The M5 camel Humphrey is back along with his son.

They vanished a couple of years ago and any enquiries as to their whereabouts were met by a wall of silence

Almost 20 years ago I was giving a talk to the local area branch meeting of The Women's Institute (yes really!) about my carving and sculpting and stuff. One of the ladies there asked if I could make a camel as she owned the M5 camel and it was time that it has a baby . That Christmas eve Loll and I delivered one to her that we'd made between us. Loll made the frame from chicken wire and I glassed it. He's called Boo and he's back standing next to his dad Humphrey.

But they're back! 

It's an omen. 

This is the turning point.

From now on, things can only get better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/5/2020 at 9:45 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I guess it was wild back in the day. Probably still is. I've never been much of a club person, even in my youth. I much more preferred house parties. Still do - when not in covid times.

Clubs are (were) good. House Parties (are / were) better . 

The festival was, is, and allways will be, the best.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

They vanished a couple of years ago and any enquiries as to their whereabouts were met by a wall of silence

Almost 20 years ago I was giving a talk to the local area branch meeting of The Women's Institute (yes really!) about my carving and sculpting and stuff. One of the ladies there asked if I could make a camel as she owned the M5 camel and it was time that it has a baby . That Christmas eve Loll and I delivered one to her that we'd made between us. Loll made the frame from chicken wire and I glassed it. He's called Boo and he's back standing next to his dad Humphrey.

But they're back! 

It's an omen. 

I shall be going past Humphrey tomorrow and will give him a little wave

8 hours ago, bamber said:

Clubs are (were) good. House Parties (are / were) better . 

The festival was, is, and allways will be, the best.

Yeah, festivals are very much the top shelf for me too. For me it means that I get to live with and play with my mates in some fields for a few days. Very much the antidote to the pressures of the 'real' world.

13 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

But they're back! 

It's an omen. 

I had no idea what you were talking about, so did a search and found this (which might be of interest to some);

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/18937737.humphrey-m5-camel-repaired/

I actually really like the unrestored Humphrey best.

17 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Mine too, currently trying to work out how fooked

Apparently a bolt has sheared off in the engine manifold, according to my brother in law.

It's gonna be an expensive one, lucky we haven't been paying out for commuting costs this year!

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Good news as I’m doing a bit of work at a Coronavirus vaccine centre Friday, so hope to be seeing people on their way to being made safe.

Mrs c might be getting done soon as she’s a home care assistant, my age should get me done in the new year, hopefully! In the meantime, Just need to stay safe 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s getting lighter at least ... although sadly some dark days still to come 

I'll be honest particularly this year that does spark great joy in me!! I can't wait for lighter evenings again. One of my dogs has become really scared of the dark and I've noticed how much more stressful my days have been when I can't walk them before or after work. Trying to find a time during the day to do it can be a challenge and means I have to continue working into the night so knowing that by the end of January/ Mid February I should have more daylight actually makes me very happy.