2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I can also recommend that if your really not interested in a headliner, even if other people are saying it will be a cultural moment, an all time great set etc, don't bother going. We chose Jon Hopkins over Stormzy, partially so we could head to the SE corner early, and had a little bit of FOMO at the time (partially because it was our first Glasto headliner) even though I wasn't a big fan of his music, which was then elevated after hearing how much people enjoyed his set. But last year, I caught Stormzy's set at Leeds and it confirmed that a) I'm still not into his music, and b) The time I had at Jon Hopkins was way better than the time I probably would have at Stormzy. So moral of the story is, try and get into a headliners music, as a great pyramid headline set from an act you love is better than anything else. But if it's just not clicking, don't try and force it, even if everyone else thinks it's going to be great.

It's a tricky one though. I was 100% ambivalent towards the Street in 2019, only went because that's where my mates were going. I knew some of the big singles, hadn't listened to the albums at all.

Had an absolute blast in the end.

7 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I can also recommend that if your really not interested in a headliner, even if other people are saying it will be a cultural moment, an all time great set etc, don't bother going. We chose Jon Hopkins over Stormzy, partially so we could head to the SE corner early, and had a little bit of FOMO at the time (partially because it was our first Glasto headliner) even though I wasn't a big fan of his music, which was then elevated after hearing how much people enjoyed his set. But last year, I caught Stormzy's set at Leeds and it confirmed that a) I'm still not into his music, and b) The time I had at Jon Hopkins was way better than the time I probably would have at Stormzy. So moral of the story is, try and get into a headliners music, as a great pyramid headline set from an act you love is better than anything else. But if it's just not clicking, don't try and force it, even if everyone else thinks it's going to be great.

Agree with this to an extent - but take Macca for example. For a lot of the younger generation - myself included - you only really know the big Beatles hits, some depth into their discography if you're a fan. I really don't know many people who listen to his solo stuff. So is it worth being there - despite your general preference for acts on other stages - just to have those WOW moments? Leaning towards yes atm, especially given his age. When else is he going to do something like this again?

Tricky one, it's a risk either way and I see both sides. 

31 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

One of your top 10 favourite artists headlines every festival you go to?  Seriously?  I think I've only ever been to 7 festivals featuring my top 10 (and one of those is the same act twice)...

Well my favourite 10 is a rolling list depending on what I'm listening to at that point in time - but yes. Festivals are expensive I wouldn't choose to go to one unless there was something I really wanted to see or I had a bunch of mates who all wanted to go.

5 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

Agree with this to an extent - but take Macca for example. For a lot of the younger generation - myself included - you only really know the big Beatles hits, some depth into their discography if you're a fan. I really don't know many people who listen to his solo stuff. So is it worth being there - despite your general preference for acts on other stages - just to have those WOW moments? Leaning towards yes atm, especially given his age. When else is he going to do something like this again?

Tricky one, it's a risk either way and I see both sides. 

I guess if I have one regret from the Glastonbury's I've attended was not going to see Stevie Wonder on the Pyramid. My take on him was much like you describe in your post plus I despise one or two of his big hits.

I chose to see Ash in the JP instead, a band whose music I actually listen to at home. I'm still not 100% I did the wrong thing but I do have the odd pang that I missed out.

38 minutes ago, Quark said:

For me it's because when it's done right a Pyramid headliner is one of the greatest live music moments around.

I agree, but there's always the chance that it won't be done right! It's Gorillaz for me, went on my own as no one else was interested and it was not as good as it should have been. For my wife it was Springsteen, I accompanied despite no interest, she's a huge fan. After 30-40 minutes we decided our time was better spent elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

I agree, but there's always the chance that it won't be done right! It's Gorillaz for me, went on my own as no one else was interested and it was not as good as it should have been. For my wife it was Springsteen, I accompanied despite no interest, she's a huge fan. After 30-40 minutes we decided our time was better spent elsewhere.

Oh 100%, but that chance of it going right is why it's something to focus on (if not obsess over)

6 minutes ago, George1399 said:

Well my favourite 10 is a rolling list depending on what I'm listening to at that point in time - but yes. Festivals are expensive I wouldn't choose to go to one unless there was something I really wanted to see or I had a bunch of mates who all wanted to go.

Glastonbury is a totally different kettle of fish to other festivals though, you can see zero bands and still have an amazing time. I know it's a clichéd thing to say but it's true. 

Other than Bearded Theory, Glasto is the one festival I will go to completely regardless of who is playing. Even when bands I love are there I never end up seeing them all as there's so much else to see and do.