news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

NHS to be fair already restricts what its pays for on these grounds but its a massive beast that needs cutting back and focusing even more.  Its a massive sham as well.  It provides things like mental health services for example but in reality very few people can access it its so badly provisioned.  It creates the smoke screen of a health service that is doing stuff but its hard to hold it account .

I don't want to get into an argument but mental health is a poor example for the NHS. I trained in the 80's in old style hospitals. I was there when they announced "Care in the Community". A fantastic idea with promises of more funding for social care. Funding decreased dramatically for mental health services and this has never been covered by social care. The funding for mental health services comes direct from government. This is a reason care trusts outsource to charities. Don't get angry at how the NHS spend their cash. Get angry at funding.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

I've got huge respect for nurses after my 28 weeks in hospital a couple of years ago. And I discovered that the NHS works best when the nurses go the extra mile. I've got no respect for the nurse who refused me a blanket on a cold night. 

Not all nurses are caring. That's a fact unfortunately. If I was there you would have got a hug. That's serious btw oh and you would have gitba blanket 

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think your cost value numbers are a bit shit to be honest and don't really add up.  You are ignoring other issues like the number of children in care needing homes that cost the country a fortune which could otherwise be fostered or adopted by IVF couples.    We need a real focus on this as sadly too often these kids not only have shit child hoods but challenging adulthoods. 

Anyway this isn't really just about IVF - IVF is just an example of costly service the NHS doesn't NEED to be provide.  Its a nice to have.

If you aren’t happy with my numbers I’d invite you to provide evidence to support your twaddle.

On the care point, its not a binary choice- IVF or adoption. I’d guess that many who fail with IVF don’t then go on to adopt. The kids in care exist. The birth rate is below replacement. 20,000 IVF kids born a year is money well spent given that 20-30k is small potatoes compared to what an average IVF born child will contribute to the economy over their life.

Plus if we’re going to talk about externalities- what of the wellbeing of the couple who successfully procreate after receiving IVF.

Take the L!

Not even gonna comment on your other twaddle about GPs other than to say that if your assumption is that everybody is at their base bone idle and grabby, it seems a lot like you’re telling on yourself.

Edited by mattiloy

23 hours ago, Neil said:

Am waiting on further information but it looks like it was covid which did for my mum, she was tested on Friday and was positive. Guess that's a consequence of nhs overload, cos there's drugs available that should stop covid  deaths. And in hospital she should have got them. I just checked and she'd had her booster jab this autumn didn't have a flu jab tho so I wonder if that was part of things. 

Oh man, sorry to hear this Neil.

11 hours ago, steviewevie said:

UK's new space era didn't exactly get off to a great start.

I'd have been more surprised if it worked on the first try in fairness given it feels like space missions take a few goes before it is fully stable and operational. Surely the clue was there with this being a Virgin Orbit operation, given their sister company Virgin Galactic has been talking about being a few years from a fully fledged commercial space tourism operation for about 10 years. By the sound of it, it got fairly deep into the plan, which isn't that disastrous relatively speaking.

This Tweet on it did make me smirk, mind.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

So today or yesterday Sunak took a private flight to Leeds as his time is so limited. They really aren’t trying to move away from this ‘out of touch’ look. 

During the COP26 summit in Glasgow in 2021, didn't Johnson get a private jet to fly home for dinner with a friend who persuaded him to take what turned out to be the wrong line on the Owen Paterson affair?

51 minutes ago, charlierc said:

During the COP26 summit in Glasgow in 2021, didn't Johnson get a private jet to fly home for dinner with a friend who persuaded him to take what turned out to be the wrong line on the Owen Paterson affair?

I remember him taking a private flight after COP but not so sure about the friend part. 

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I really struggle to understand why the right wing media hate Harry so much, I am completely apathetic about him. However he seems to upset all the right people.

He hates the press so much he's happy to feed them stories about the life he said he wanted to get away from. 

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The total hate campaign by the establishment against Harry is fascinating to see as it goes into full on protection mode.

I didn't expect someone like you Neil to side with it.  

i'm calling out an idiot for being that idiot.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Harry will always be in the media and he knows this.  Leaving the UK and moving to LA was his way of trying to manage the narrative I suppose. Not going too well as the media has such a huge self serving vested interest in the royals.

As a anti royalist I think the whole thing is wonderful.  It really does expose how insane the whole thing is.  

plebs have disfunctional families too.

52 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The total hate campaign by the establishment against Harry is fascinating to see as it goes into full on protection mode.

I didn't expect someone like you Neil to side with it.  

Harry will always be in the media and he knows this.  Leaving the UK and moving to LA was his way of trying to manage the narrative I suppose. Not going too well as the media has such a huge self serving vested interest in the royals.

As a anti royalist I think the whole thing is wonderful.  It really does expose how insane the whole thing is.  

I think it’s worked in his favour, by kicking up a fuss he will sell more books.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

maybe its things like this that are the reason he decided not to stand in the end...

There’s talk he’s plotting a return in the summer if Sunak doesn’t turning the polling around so it’s not a surprise to see this type of story turn up.

If this is true then it should all come out in the Privileges Committee investigation and Johnson could then face a recall petition. 

Edited by Ozanne

10 hours ago, Neil said:

He hates the press so much he's happy to feed them stories about the life he said he wanted to get away from. 

There are ten times as many stories attacking him and they come out first. 

His claim that he discovered that folks he thought were on his side were briefing against him is entirely believable.