news & politics:discussion

zahidf

On 1/15/2023 at 12:34 PM, mattiloy said:

Sir Thicko QC

A few disturbing quotes from this interview and Starmer's media round with Nick Ferrari this morning if you ask me. I still think a Labour government under him would be better than the Tories, but he is still lurching further to the right than is needed and I feel it is to appease potential swing voters that have already discounted the idea of voting Tory at the next election.

41 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Looks like my wife will be on strike !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64265029

POWER TO THE PEOPLE and all that shit...

Teachers deserve better unlike those greedy rail workers...  

bit of solidarity being shown in my street with posters in windows "i support the striking workers". 🙂 

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Looks like my wife will be on strike !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64265029

POWER TO THE PEOPLE and all that shit...

Teachers deserve better unlike those greedy rail workers...  

Haha as if you’re a teacher. Spouting off about other professions being lazy whilst spending the hours of 9-15.30 as a glorified babysitter and then checking out for your 40 days off every year.

Not a chance you’ll be on the picket line I’d wager.

Edited by mattiloy

On 1/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, mattiloy said:

a legal dispute that all occurred under Starmer’s leadership?

the dispute did, but the dispute was triggered by actions under corbyn's leadership.

The Tories anti-strike bill is being voted on this evening in the Commons. Labour of course are voting against it yet Mick Lynch still wants to have a go at the Labour front bench for not being out with them at their rally to stand up against the Tories. They are literally voting against anti-strike laws in Parliament.

12 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Haha as if you’re a teacher. Spouting off about other professions being lazy whilst spending the hours of 9-15.30 as a glorified babysitter and then checking out for your 40 days off every year.

Not a chance you’ll be on the picket line I’d wager.

40 days off?  And the rest. More like 60!  They do work in some of them, but not much.  My other half is a head and she works hard in term time, but lives for the hols.

She'll have fun if the pay rise does go up, as will likely have to shed more TA's. (Even more TA's, as the energy costs are meaning a few have to go already.)

52 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Teachers don't get paid in the summer so shouldn't be expect to work at all (the  pay is pro-rata and gets paid in monthly but they don't get 'paid" for the summer).  The reality is my wife enjoys the first 4 weeks or so and then has to start lesson planning towards the last two weeks (presuming 6 week break).

During term time my wife can be up to gone 10pm lesson planning and marking.  I think she is a mug.  There is no way I would do it.  Too little pay for too much work.  i doubt if you worked it out it would be much more than NMW given the hours.

I doubt she will last more than another couple of years but its up to her.  Teaching is a mugs game.  

New teachers aren't last more than a few years.  Not surprised.   She started during covid and its getting worse not better. The amount of social problems post covid is unbelievable.   We really hurt a generation.

Bollocks - they are paid for a year with fixed holidays.  They are deemed to be "working" over summer in all manner of ways, e.g. mat leave.  Their holidays work in the same way most others work - i.e. the number of working days vary per month (depending on the calendar, holidays, bank holidays, etc) but you get a twelfth every month.  But either way it's a big perk (more expensive holidays, I know, I live it too), and way cheaper childcare costs!

Teachers generally do a good job though, so not saying otherwise, was just correcting the number of hols.  There are a lot who don't pull their weight - my partner tears her hair out about the jobsworthy attitude they have.  

Labour not going to oppose the government's reaction to the Scottish gender recognition bill. Again, it just feels like Labour currently are lurching too far to the right in order to appease a voter base that they should really be asking themselves whether it is worth chasing anyway.

23 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Labour not going to oppose the government's reaction to the Scottish gender recognition bill. Again, it just feels like Labour currently are lurching too far to the right in order to appease a voter base that they should really be asking themselves whether it is worth chasing anyway.

worth chasing every vote they can? Big poll lead, but some people seem to think that support could be soft, lots of don't knows from people who have voted tory in the past etc.

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Didn't Scottish Labour support it?

Yep don't understand why though. Since the battle ground changed to 99% indy I don't think they know what they are anymore.

Edited by lost

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

worth chasing every vote they can? Big poll lead, but some people seem to think that support could be soft, lots of don't knows from people who have voted tory in the past etc.

It’s a tricky one for Labour, they have to be seen as a government in waiting and not to fall for the Tories culture war rubbish. Best thing for them to do here would be stay quiet.

As you say Labour need to win over Tory voters from 2019 to have any hope of forming a government. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Is it only people on the right then who give a fuck about protecting the rights of biological women not to share their safe spaces with people who still have a penis ?   

Of course not...  I don't see how this is a right / left issue

Think that's a very simple way of looking at a very complex issue, but suspect you know that already! Just think it's taking the wrong side of a deliberate culture war rather than trying to improve the lives and rights of some of society's most vulnerable people.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Think that's a very simple way of looking at a very complex issue, but suspect you know that already! Just think it's taking the wrong side of a deliberate culture war rather than trying to improve the lives and rights of some of society's most vulnerable people.

it's a minefield.

I suspect the Tories are either blocking this bill to satisfy their rabid right wingers of their party in a bid to unify the party or hoping it’ll cause Labour to muck up. In actuality it’ll probably do neither and just end up pissing people off. 

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You realise you dumbed this down to a right / left issue yourself...

Yes its complex and far beyond simple right / left politics 

Some of societies most vulnerable people are women and girls.  Let's get that right and this bill does nothing to protect them.

This is just another shit storm where MEN want to throw their cocks around and own more spaces.  I am totally apposed to it.  If someone wants to go full on surgery then fine.  But this idea you chuck on a skirt and thats the benchmark to get in the female changing rooms - sod that!

I think there would be a direct/strong correlation between where voters fall on this issue and where they would fall on other culture war bollocks, be it snowflakes/woke culture/WFH/strikes! 

With regards to the actual legislation, Ireland have had similar legislation in place for 7 years and have not experienced any of the issues you have talked about. The point regarding chucking on a skirt and pretending you're a woman, or gaining access to women's safe spaces with a penis, is entirely moot given individuals do not need to show their birth certificates or go through an arduous transition process right now in order to go into a women's bathroom and potentially attack a woman (if they wanted to they could just do it freely now), so why would it be more common if the transition process is made easier?

The ones who generally seem to be giving the biggest push back on this are feminists/lesbians. People who's traditional home has tended to be the labour party. Its also not a great look men telling them they are over reacting. 

I've generally felt its up to women to decide if they are happy with trans-women in women only changing rooms/prisons/rape crisis centres and sports. Speaking as a man if someone with a vagina wants to go into male toilets/prisons or in the ring with Tyson Fury I've no issues with that.