news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, Neil said:

It guarantees a decent wage for graduates that's out of reach to many otherwise. My kid has a first in maths which makes him very employable., hence the great starting wage. 

ok. err..well done to your kid who isn't a teacher on a great starting wage proving that teachers earn a good starting wage.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

ok. err..well done to your kid who isn't a teacher on a great starting wage proving that teachers earn a good starting wage.

It's £28k minimum for a teacher isn't it? 

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

That is the current starting salary.  

there's not too many graduate jobs with better nowadays i think,

but a guaranteed minimum of 28k is worth having as a benchmark.

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think you are probably right.  I view it from the position of having a wife who was earning incredible sums in industry and moved to teaching and now we are poor 😛 and I am questioning why lol 

What does she teach out of interest? Curious as to what type of industry she was in to decide teaching was better!

22 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

And that is really the crux here...  The Scottish bill removes those reasonable bechmarks. 

No it doesn't. Trans women already use women's only spaces before they have a GRC.

If I were a preditory male wanting to enter a woman's toilet or changing room with evil intent, why would I go to the bother of getting a GRC? I would simply have a shave, slip on a frock and Bob's your auntie.

There certainly are threats to women from men. I'm pretty sure most of these men strongly identify as"real" men and would rearrange your teeth for suggesting otherwise.

And if there is so much danger from this measure, why are we not awash with examples from the many parts of the world which already have similar legislation? And why does the UK government accept GRCs from Ireland but won't accept them from Scotland?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes it does... simple as that...  You need to go back to the Scottish Indy thread and go have a pointless back and forth with Neil.  You just bore me 🙂 

I admit defeat. Your forensic logic has won.

You fascinate me.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, LJS said:

why would I go to the bother of getting a GRC?

irrelevant question -  one of the points is that it's comparatively no-bother to get a GRC, because a person is essentially' awarding themselves that certificate, because there's no 3rd party checking such as a doctor.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

irrelevant question -  one of the points is that it's comparatively no-bother to get a GRC, because a person is essentially' awarding themselves that certificate, because there's no 3rd party checking such as a doctor.

Someday, Neil, you will answer one of my points in full, without picking out a few words.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Did you watch it?

I thought it was a good assessment of the state of things. It shows the anger within the industry towards the government and also how complicated it is to fix.

22 minutes ago, LJS said:

Someday, Neil, you will answer one of my points in full, without picking out a few words.

I don't claim to have the justification to block the grc. I have seen legal opinion that recons the uk has a solid case in law, and that the sg is going to waste a lot of money on a court case it'll lose. Lots of grievance to be mined here so that's what the snp will do. 

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Did you watch it?

I thought it was a good assessment of the state of things. It shows the anger within the industry towards the government and also how complicated it is to fix.

watched most of it...but have to admit I have a bit of a The Expanse addiction at moment so moved on to watching that...some worrying solarpolitical shit going on a few hundred years into the future.

8 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I did notice he’s reappeared and started trapping off about various things in recent weeks…

they'll dump sunak for spaffer at some point between now and the next election, I'm certain.