news & politics:discussion

zahidf

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The problem isn't brexit, it's the tories. Reform could be a pain in the bum for tory chance of re-election in next election...

It’s always the Tories that are the problem. 

25 minutes ago, Neil said:

a real job where you can't dick about on the internet all day.

and you have responsibility for lots of lives and the stress of having to deal with jumpers ... not something I could handle personally ....along with the removal of train guards 

Don't want to get all twatty Daily Mail Baz Fish on you, but that is exactly what I am about to do. Seems like a train driver is one job that could be replaced by a computer, whereas teachers, nurses and care workers not so much...and looks like train drivers have done pretty well according to those charts, but yes they have a lot of responsibility, if they forget to press stop because of too much reefer or whatever then we're looking at a lot of dead people. But the train drivers are represented by a strong union, whereas other key workers who kept the country going through covid not so much. But also again, I know the RMT are not just striking over train driver's pay, but other lower paid railway workers, and conditions. I just understand why there is a lot more support for nurse strikes than rail strikes, and I think, as someone has pointed out on here before, care workers need to be paid more, but no one hears about them.

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Don't want to get all twatty Daily Mail Baz Fish on you, but that is exactly what I am about to do. Seems like a train driver is one job that could be replaced by a computer, whereas teachers, nurses and care workers not so much...and looks like train drivers have done pretty well according to those charts, but yes they have a lot of responsibility, if they forget to press stop because of too much reefer or whatever then we're looking at a lot of dead people. But the train drivers are represented by a strong union, whereas other key workers who kept the country going through covid not so much. But also again, I know the RMT are not just striking over train driver's pay, but other lower paid railway workers, and conditions. I just understand why there is a lot more support for nurse strikes than rail strikes, and I think, as someone has pointed out on here before, care workers need to be paid more, but no one hears about them.

no objection to anyone being paid ok and wanting more. Lots of those rail strikes are around terms and conditions , which are slowly getting eroded in this country. It happened to me a few years back and my current contract states im to basically be flexible and work my contracted hours within 5am till 11 pm any day of the week my company choses .with 4 weeks notice , along with  all the others .How are contracts like that a life for anyone ? and yep the care sector is horrendously underpaid and they deserve a shed load more or this country is frankly screwed .

Edited by Crazyfool01

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

no objection to anyone being paid ok and wanting more lots of those rail strikes are around terms and conditions to which are slowly getting eroded in this country, it happened to me a few years back and my current contract states im to basically be flexible and work my contracted hours within 5am till 11 pm any day of the week my company choses with 4 weeks notice , along with  all the others , how are contracts like that a life for anyone and yep the care sector is horrendously underpaid and they deserve a shed load more or this country is frankly screwed 

Wow. Long sentence dude.

48 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't. I don't think any higher earners should be getting more, no matter what they do. They should be getting less and lower earners getting more. Way too much inequality in this country. Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

You could only really do that in the public sector. If you do then who wants the responsibilities that come from the more senior jobs without the pay. Also would just result in talented people just moving to the private sector.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

You could only really do that in the public sector. If you do then who wants the responsibilities that come from the more senior jobs without the pay. Also would just result in talented people just moving to the private sector.

Yeah but you're just talking practicalities. 

There should be a limit, no one earns more than twice that of lowest earner. I don't care how it's done.