news & politics:discussion

zahidf

https://institute.global/policy/moving-how-british-public-views-brexit-and-what-it-wants-future-relationship-european-union

This report shows that whilst over 2/3rds of people want a closer alignment with the EU only a 1/3rd want us to go back into the SM as a minimum. This is likely why Labours policy for the next Parliament isn’t go to back into the EU but as David Lammy outlines last week they seek to forge closer ties to the EU.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

At least sadiq is being honest ? 

He doesn't have to worry about winning a general election. Even the lib Dems won't touch it. Rejoin isn't going to happen, not for a long time anyway. Another referendum opening up all those divisions again? Don't think so. And then there's the matter if the EU, would they simply let us back in with all the same opt outs we had before? Don't think so. If labour gets in I expect we will try and align on stuff to make trade easier, but these will have to be negotiated and won't be easy. No, I think we fucked it with that one, and may as well make th best of it.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He doesn't have to worry about winning a general election. Even the lib Dems won't touch it. Rejoin isn't going to happen, not for a long time anyway. Another referendum opening up all those divisions again? Don't think so. And then there's the matter if the EU, would they simply let us back in with all the same opt outs we had before? Don't think so. If labour gets in I expect we will try and align on stuff to make trade easier, but these will have to be negotiated and won't be easy. No, I think we fucked it with that one, and may as well make th best of it.

Sorry where have you seen the Lib Dem’s won’t touch it ? Them and the Green Party have been clear throughout . 

13 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Sorry where have you seen the Lib Dem’s won’t touch it ? Them and the Green Party have been clear throughout . 

I mean in that they don't have rejoin etc as a policy..but then I did look at their website and they kind of talk about joining the single market in the future...

https://www.libdems.org.uk/news/article/rebuilding-trade-cooperation-with-europe

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean in that they don't have rejoin etc as a policy..but then I did look at their website and they kind of talk about joining the single market in the future...

https://www.libdems.org.uk/news/article/rebuilding-trade-cooperation-with-europe

As I said a month or so ago the tide is turning and it’s changed since … election  2 years away I’d be shocked if they weren’t under pressure on Europe and the Lib Dem’s starting to make gains into that Labour lead 

27 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

As I said a month or so ago the tide is turning and it’s changed since … election  2 years away I’d be shocked if they weren’t under pressure on Europe and the Lib Dem’s starting to make gains into that Labour lead 

Yeah ok..well we'll see...I'd be amazed if people would want to go through a whole new referendum leaver vs remainer thing again..and the economy will probably start to improve into next year..and I think any formal joining of eu or single market is decades away...but who knows...

Edited by steviewevie

Just now, steviewevie said:

It's all about labour...not lib dems...

Fair play, I think he does comment on the Lib Dem’s in the video briefly but yeah it is mostly about Labour. 

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This in new statesman about lib Dems and Brexit.. might be behind a paywall...

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2023/01/liberal-democrats-anti-brexit-void

yeah cant see that ... i did have a thing that I got sent that was supposed to let me view these things ... couldn't figure it out though .... fortunately as mentioned previously  my option is always lib dems here anyway ... still maintain that shift is pretty unstoppable 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah cant see that ... i did have a thing that I got sent that was supposed to let me view these things ... couldn't figure it out though .... fortunately as mentioned previously  my option is always lib dems here anyway ... still maintain that shift is pretty unstoppable 

I could copy and paste into here, it would make for a pretty big post though! It is by David Gauke and all about lib dem strategy for next election.. targeting mostly blue wall seats..and how they're shifting from opposing brexit to fighting the Tories, so brexit stuff not a priority now.

And I guess labour has similar issue except they're fighting Tories in both red and blue wall seats, and bringing up brexit shite probably won't do them any favours, just usual make brexit work bullshit. It would obviously help them in remainy metropolitan seats, but they're safe for labour anyway.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I could copy and paste into here, it would make for a pretty big post though! It is by David Gauke and all about lib dem strategy for next election.. targeting mostly blue wall seats..and how they're shifting from opposing brexit to fighting the Tories, so brexit stuff not a priority now.

And I guess labour has similar issue except they're fighting Tories in both red and blue wall seats, and bringing up brexit shite probably won't do them any favours, just usual make brexit work bullshit. It would obviously help them in remainy metropolitan seats, but they're safe for labour anyway.

nah thats fine I trust the summary 🙂 ... i just think things will change given the speed of change in opinion at the moment