news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

wind up surely ? 

I scrolled past that a bit too quickly and wondered why pictures of Roy Walker of Catchphrase were being posted!

Edited by chris_nre
amateur mistake!

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Jeremy c**t.... why are we not rioting ? 

Despite paying by direct debit, I can't get a fixed term deal anymore. The Tories really don't care anymore.

Charles can wear a paper crown from a discarded Christmas cracker and get a taxi to Westminster Abbey.

9 minutes ago, chris_nre said:

Despite paying by direct debit, I can't get a fixed term deal anymore. The Tories really don't care anymore.

Charles can wear a paper crown from a discarded Christmas cracker and get a taxi to Westminster Abbey.

It was more the bottom bit where our energy costs are likely to increase by 40% despite a lower cost of gas and the obscene profits of the energy companies that got me 😞 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It was more the bottom bit where our energy costs are likely to increase by 40% despite a lower cost of gas and the obscene profits of the energy companies that got me 😞 

I think it's got something to do with electricity and the highest cost of production, which happens to be gas-fired (happy to be corrected on this).

Also, that senior Tories are probably significant shareholders in said energy companies.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Again...  You could just try and educate yourself 😛 

and to be fair to the poster above he did indicate at this - although its a better answer to this question rather than why we are paying 40% more in the coming months than we did the previous months.

Why has the UK been particularly affected?

Many countries are affected by the energy crisis, but the UK is particularly exposed to increases in gas prices for a number of reasons.

First, around 85% of households use gas boilers to heat their homes, and around 40% of electricity is generated in gas fired power stations. Second, these are higher proportions than other European countries. Third, houses in the UK are poorly insulated compared to elsewhere on the continent. Recent analysis from the IMF showed that UK households have been the worst hit in Western Europe in terms of the impacts on spending power.

and the torys removed grants for insulation ffs ...... and removed gas storage .... ah shit i best educate myself though 

48 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

still massively higher than other European countries

What does the U.K. have that those other countries don’t? Tories. That’s why our prices are sky high, ultimately they could have taken ages years ago but sat on their hands and now we have to pay astronomical prices just to have power in our homes. 

The government could realise that as the cost of wholesale gas is substantially down that they could keep the Energy Guarantee at the current level which would be saving themselves money as gas is cheaper anyway. But no, they want us to all pay more. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Again...  You could just try and educate yourself 😛 

and to be fair to the poster above he did indicate at this - although its a better answer to this question rather than why we are paying 40% more in the coming months than we did the previous months.

Why has the UK been particularly affected?

Many countries are affected by the energy crisis, but the UK is particularly exposed to increases in gas prices for a number of reasons.

First, around 85% of households use gas boilers to heat their homes, and around 40% of electricity is generated in gas fired power stations. Second, these are higher proportions than other European countries. Third, houses in the UK are poorly insulated compared to elsewhere on the continent. Recent analysis from the IMF showed that UK households have been the worst hit in Western Europe in terms of the impacts on spending power.

You sure you didn't want to draw his attention to this bit? 

"The UK has the biggest gap between richest and poorest in energy costs as a proportion of income" 

So we're going to have a digital pound, don't see the point of it as it'll be fully exchangeable for paper money, doesn't achieve anything that you can't do already with the digital representation of a quid in your bank account. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah its all a bit over my head this one....  

It's over the head of the people proposing it, who haven't given a good reason for doing it. As far as I can see it opens up a new risk without giving a benefit.