news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it might be true, or partly true...we have no idea what is going on with negotiations, but there is some pressure to get a deal done..and some hardcore brexiters are getting ready to complain of treachery etc. 

theyre complaining of treachery in advance, to influence what gets agreed.

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Well we are no longer in the EU anymore so I think you can say he clears that hurdle...  About the only one mind...

But bits of the UK (northern ireland) still have eu legal oversight. 

2 hours ago, Neil said:

But bits of the UK (northern ireland) still have eu legal oversight. 

Recent Guardian and Times reports suggest the deal is basically done. Green lanes and minimal checks for goods that stay within NI. Red lanes and checks for goods that may go into single makets plus animals etc. ECJ still final arbiter of sungle market rules. It is waiting for Sunak to sign off but he is nervous about Boris and ERG reaction.

46 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Recent Guardian and Times reports suggest the deal is basically done. Green lanes and minimal checks for goods that stay within NI. Red lanes and checks for goods that may go into single makets plus animals etc. ECJ still final arbiter of sungle market rules. It is waiting for Sunak to sign off but he is nervous about Boris and ERG reaction.

It’s the last bit which could scupper all this. As the ERG could feel they are being lied too by Sunak with this story and the summit that was reported at the weekend. This could be the first opportunity for Johnson to attack Sunak. 

9 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Interesting thread asking why Labour when they’re 20 points ahead felt the need to call out GPC files

I guess they were hoping would be same as whole expenses thing...but I think just feeds into the whole they're all as bad as each other the dodgy bastards thing.

Edited by steviewevie

Labour and Starmer literally cannot win with some people. People moan that they play it safe and don't take enough risks yet when they do people also moan. I doubt that many of the general public really care either about this story giving how things are at the moment.

35 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour and Starmer literally cannot win with some people. People moan that they play it safe and don't take enough risks yet when they do people also moan. I doubt that many of the general public really care either about this story giving how things are at the moment.

And apparently Labour and Starmer can't do anything wrong with some people too

• Like 1

I think it was a good idea to highlight all the miss-spending the Tories have carried out whilst in government, they probably could’ve communicated this better and the story hasn’t really had the traction they wanted yet at least they tried something. The whole thing will be forgotten about by the end of the week. 

Sturgeon resigning.

I know she gets a lot of hate on here, but she has been pretty successful really, and is a very smart politician...but, I guess she failed with that independence referendum and looks like won't get another stab at it, and domestic issues in Scotland were starting to be a problem and divisions were starting to appear in SNP especially with the recent gender thing. Be interesting to see what means for SNP prospects in next election.

and the whole Starmer and Corbyn thing...I mean Labour are polling well, so obviously all this taking on the left isn't hurting them, but it is risky and I think they would be better off trying to heal wounds rather than keep on trying to kill them off completely...but that is obviously the strategy and maybe it will work, maybe it will backfire badly.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sturgeon resigning.

I know she gets a lot of hate on here, but she has been pretty successful really, and is a very smart politician...but, I guess she failed with that independence referendum and looks like won't get another stab at it, and domestic issues in Scotland were starting to be a problem and divisions were starting to appear in SNP especially with the recent gender thing. Be interesting to see what means for SNP prospects in next election.

I agree. I don't like her but she is a skilful politician. I think denying knowing about her husbands loan to the party damaged her as well as the gender stuff. 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sturgeon resigning.

I know she gets a lot of hate on here, but she has been pretty successful really, and is a very smart politician

I've no idea why, she's by far and away the best leader of a political party in the UK.