news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, cellar said:

It's just such a mad leap of logic to connect these two things so decisively - unless you're letting bias come into play.

I'm also not a Brexiter (I think I clarified that in this thread at some point... Maybe not). 

So no reports of any particular weather issues ….  No photos from any countries with issues apart from us … I’ve trawled and trawled looking for them even in Ukraine they have plentiful supplies due to trading arrangements brought in with the eu . 

12 minutes ago, cellar said:

It's just such a mad leap of logic to connect these two things so decisively - unless you're letting bias come into play.

I'm also not a Brexiter (I think I clarified that in this thread at some point... Maybe not). 

It’s not a ‘mad leap of logic’ at all. I mean clearly given that we aren’t seeing many reports at all of shortages on the continent then it’s perfectly reasonable for people to link Brexit to it.

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s not a ‘mad leap of logic’ at all. I mean clearly given that we aren’t seeing many reports at all of shortages on the continent then it’s perfectly reasonable for people to link Brexit to it.

It is a mad leap of logic - absolutely it is. I mean I understand people doing it, especially people with an agenda. That doesn't mean it's sound logic.

It's much easier to transport goods over land than sea. Why isn't that your initial assumption as being the primary cause, particularly given you're aware of increased fuel costs?

Honestly it's really quite exhausting, I don't know why I even bothered getting involved. Read the article I posted. Try to have an open mind.

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

It is a mad leap of logic - absolutely it is. I mean I understand people doing it, especially people with an agenda. That doesn't mean it's sound logic.

It's much easier to transport goods over land than sea. Why isn't that your initial assumption as being the primary cause, particularly given you're aware of increased fuel costs?

Honestly it's really quite exhausting, I don't know why I even bothered getting involved. Read the article I posted. Try to have an open mind.

Eh? So the sea is the problem? Bloody sea.

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

It’s probably not a good look to start saying people have agendas and telling people to have an open mind, doesn’t seem like your argument holds much wait if you are resorting to that.

It would be much easier to transport goods across sea if we were part of the trading block which is part of the issue we’ve put up all these barriers to trade and now seeing the impacts of that. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s probably not a good look to start saying people have agendas and telling people to have an open mind, doesn’t seem like your argument holds much wait if you are resorting to that.

It would be much easier to transport goods across sea if we were part of the trading block which is part of the issue we’ve put up all these barriers to trade and now seeing the impacts of that. 

😂

Top drawer stuff. I'll say what I like, thanks, and you're clearly grasping at straws if you think that I've invalidated my argument through what I said.

Read the article. Lose the agenda. 

3 hours ago, cellar said:

Other places do have tomatoes I think.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/02/23/fact-check-is-brexit-to-blame-for-britains-fruit-and-vegetable-shortages

I just found this article while trying to read up on it.

This article is hella weird! It very clearly says in no uncertain terms that it's not really Brexit related, but then says: 

"Navigating extra Brexit-imposed cost and bureaucracy of getting the fresh fruit and vegetables across the Channel is clearly proving too costly for some producers, which is why tomatoes are reaching supermarkets in France, Belgium or the Netherlands but not Britain. 

And according to media reports Irish supermarkets have also reported depleted stocks of tomatoes and fresh produce, just like in the UK - but while geography (and related costs) will be a factor there, Brexit won't be."

Am I missing something? Is the gist that Brexit is A factor but not the main one? I don't get it.

6 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

This article is hella weird! It very clearly says in no uncertain terms that it's not really Brexit related, but then says: 

"Navigating extra Brexit-imposed cost and bureaucracy of getting the fresh fruit and vegetables across the Channel is clearly proving too costly for some producers, which is why tomatoes are reaching supermarkets in France, Belgium or the Netherlands but not Britain. 

And according to media reports Irish supermarkets have also reported depleted stocks of tomatoes and fresh produce, just like in the UK - but while geography (and related costs) will be a factor there, Brexit won't be."

Am I missing something? Is the gist that Brexit is A factor but not the main one? I don't get it.

That's how I read it (Brexit being a factor, not main cause). Even without an article... That seems obvious, no? Why is this only happening now? Has it taken this long for Brexit to cause us to have veg shortages? And when the shortages stop in a few weeks time, what will be the reason?

I feel like this is a very straightforward argument.