news & politics:discussion

zahidf

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'd definitely be impressed with Sunak if he manages to pull this off...just have to see how ERG/DUP are with it...

its about time for another tory leadership election

(we've got one already in scotland)

On 2/18/2023 at 8:02 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think it was Stevie who recommended the Putin vs the West doc on the Beeb. Have just finished it and thought it was really good, gave a lot of extra context to the whole run-up to war. I find all the backroom negotiating stuff fascinating.

Fuck knows where they go from here, though.

you might also like this...Inside Russia storyville programme...

BBC iPlayer - Storyville - Inside Russia: Traitors and Heroes

Brexiter on five live right now. Brexit was always going to be difficult if we had a land border with the EU. 

Sneaky Europeans moving those borders about when we weren't looking 

11 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Its so sad that these people are just rewriting history. These performative letters full of falsehoods and slander.

Corbyn constantly condemned antisemitism whilst leader. Berger’s abusers were not Labour members. No Labour MP who wasn’t also up for reselection by their constituency party left to join the independent group.

This mind bending post truth world we live in is sick and I hate it. 

38 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Its so sad that these people are just rewriting history. These performative letters full of falsehoods and slander.

Corbyn constantly condemned antisemitism whilst leader. Berger’s abusers were not Labour members. No Labour MP who wasn’t also up for reselection by their constituency party left to join the independent group.

This mind bending post truth world we live in is sick and I hate it. 

yes, and it was all exaggerated anyway. etc

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, and it was all exaggerated anyway. etc

Well yes. I know its hard if you are a black and white thinker but two things can be true at the same time. Antisemitism in the Labour party existed, probably still does, and is unacceptable. But a tiny minority of cases reported were upheld as being antisemitic and committed by Labour members between 2015-2019. The scale of the issue was amplified to be used as a stick to beat the left with. Facts.

Since then its gotten even worse. This hierarchy of racism line is bollocks. Its the very opposite. You can become a political pariah for liking a post by a graffiti artist about anticapitalism that can be very tenuously construed as antisemitic if you try very hard, meanwhile Blair and Johnson can be overtly islamophobic and be prime minister. Or you can be a Labour staffer and have your anti black tropes on whatsapp leaked and remain in the Labour party. Tell me again, Baddiel, how antisemitism is at the bottom of the hierarchy of racism.

38 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Well yes. I know its hard if you are a black and white thinker but two things can be true at the same time. Antisemitism in the Labour party existed, probably still does, and is unacceptable. But a tiny minority of cases reported were upheld as being antisemitic and committed by Labour members between 2015-2019. The scale of the issue was amplified to be used as a stick to beat the left with. Facts.

Since then its gotten even worse. This hierarchy of racism line is bollocks. Its the very opposite. You can become a political pariah for liking a post by a graffiti artist about anticapitalism that can be very tenuously construed as antisemitic if you try very hard, meanwhile Blair and Johnson can be overtly islamophobic and be prime minister. Or you can be a Labour staffer and have your anti black tropes on whatsapp leaked and remain in the Labour party. Tell me again, Baddiel, how antisemitism is at the bottom of the hierarchy of racism.

yes, exactly. And anyway, zionists don't understand english irony..

Edited by steviewevie

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, exactly. And anyway, zionists don't understand english irony..

Basically Berger was ’forced out’ of the party by racists who weren’t in the party but also claimed to be victimised by her local party, claiming this was because of unspoken antisemitism, despite the local party at the time having a jewish chairperson.

She then campaigned against the Labour party alongside Angela Smith who described bame people as having a ’funny tinge’ and that tells you everything about the authenticity of her motives.

The whole thing stinks.