news & politics:discussion

zahidf

28 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

if you read that thread...tories polling badly, Sunak's recent successes are cutting through...and if he keeps doing well which is possible as he isn't lazy or crazy like the previous two PMs, and also if economy starts improving as expected and they do a sexy tax give away next spring then there could still be a tory win in 2024...wouldn't that be lovely?

Even if the economy is improving by then  people probably won’t see tangible benefits of that for a while. Who really cares if the economy is growing by say 2% if your own finances aren’t great?

I also challenge that Sunak has been doing well, he’s done the bare minimum and even then it’s not exactly much. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Even if the economy is improving by then  people probably won’t see tangible benefits of that for a while. Who really cares if the economy is growing by say 2% if your own finances aren’t great?

I also challenge that Sunak has been doing well, he’s done the bare minimum and even then it’s not exactly much. 

ok, well he's polling very well according to that James Johnson bloke...windsor framework especially, and now the migration bill (which many approve of).

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, well he's polling very well according to that James Johnson bloke...windsor framework especially, and now the migration bill (which many approve of).

Yeah his own approval has risen since the migration bill but it’s not likely the bill will work anyway and he can’t have immigration be a factor every week. So when it’s all died down and the issue doesn’t improve he’ll be back to where he was.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

It will get mothers back into work, which is maybe easier than older workers...and also overall is a good policy.

better childcare provision is a great policy but its not the solution to not-working people.

I pay 100 quid a month ish for nursery.

For that I could leave him 6.30am-6.30pm (I don’t because I don’t work that long) Mon-Fri with breakfast, lunch and an afternoon ’between meal’ cooked by an onsite chef. Most of the nursery teachers have degrees.

We don’t have nuclear bombs over here, but you can’t have it all eh.

Nursery is from age 1 to age 6.

Edited by mattiloy

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I pay 100 quid a month ish for nursery.

For that I could leave him 6.30am-6.30pm (I don’t because I don’t work that long) Mon-Fri with breakfast, lunch and an afternoon ’between meal’ cooked by an onsite chef. Most of the nursery teachers have degrees.

We don’t have nuclear bombs over here, but you can’t have it all eh.

Not for long..welcome to NATO.

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Depends on the timescale. If you’re willing to wait a century. Worked for Ireland anyway.

Being a place for tax avoidance,and low standards of living worked for Ireland. Also having access to eu development funds in the time when the EU had development funds, eastern Europe is not going to say, ok Scotland you have this money instead. 

Edited by Neil