news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Hunt trying to be all upbeat whilst real incomes are at their lowest for ages, loads of people are out on strike, and banks are close to collapse and stock markets are tumbling...

and all happening on budget day.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

people won't think that unless prices fall, cos they'll still be poorer

I agree, I can’t see it working for Sunak but that won’t stop him and the Tories going on about how well they’ve done. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

still...at least the rich can have humungous pension pots to pass on to their kiddies.

yes, just cos they max-ed out their previous allowance wasn't a reason to increase the allowance it was a reason to shrink it (which has been obvious for 20+ years).

21 minutes ago, Neil said:

which itself drives inflation and requires another wage increase, and on and on - until some sort of equilibrium is reached).

This isn't strictly true, at least currently, as price rises are driven by shortages, rather than people having more money. 

The average person getting a payrise to keep up with inflation is only going to help them keep pace with the rising price of typical goods.  

(I read a study last month-ish that said something about how it's actually more likely that inflation indicates pay rises, but there is a weak correlation at best the other way around, and then only when you specifically focus on the private sector).

14 minutes ago, cellar said:

This isn't strictly true, at least currently, as price rises are driven by shortages, rather than people having more money. 

The average person getting a payrise to keep up with inflation is only going to help them keep pace with the rising price of typical goods.  

(I read a study last month-ish that said something about how it's actually more likely that inflation indicates pay rises, but there is a weak correlation at best the other way around, and then only when you specifically focus on the private sector).

Well done for spotting the glaring ommission in my take. I was assuming everything else remaining unchanged. 

the whole fuckedness of it all is a problem for the tories, but will be a problem for labour too....no easy fixes...we are an economy in decline and we've made it harder for ourselves through deindustrialisation, an overreliance on finance sector and then brexit which in long term was really fucking dumb. We need investment in new green industries, but where does that investment come from?

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Why’s it always got to be about getting people back into work? Could it not be about quality of life for once?

Because money.

More people in work means more tax revenue for them to funnel off to their mates.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

We need investment in new green industries, but where does that investment come from?

from re-labelling nukes as green. 😛 

10 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Why’s it always got to be about getting people back into work? Could it not be about quality of life for once?

But... it's a generational divide..right? Some people in their 50s and early 60s, not sure how many, can afford to not have to work...whereas younger people are likely never going to have that luxury. We need levelling up between generations, not just geographical locations.

Also some people, mums or people struggling with illness or disability might actually want to work too.

But, in the end, the economy needs it and that's what is really worrying policy makers.

Edited by steviewevie

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble of people staying in work for longer is it blocks off opportunities for the next generation.

there are no opportunities.

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

If I wanted to stay at home all day and claim full disability benefits I could. 

Being able to go to work gives me something to keep my mind active and occupied. The routine is good. Getting some disability benefits on top of my wage also is very useful right now.