news & politics:discussion

zahidf

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

that's what accountants are for.

Hope mine can tell me how to stop the taxman taking my capital gains from selling my. business. 

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'd say that's not an unsreasonable attack, as Labour have a history of raiding pensions, and doing it again can be justified because there's a lot of wealth tied up in pensions, perhaps too much for the good of the economy. 

2 hours ago, Neil said:

20+ usa banks fail every year.

This was true a few years ago, actually maybe more like a decade ago, but there haven't been many bank failures (in the US) in recent years - I think 2020 was the last time until this week just gone, and even that was single digits. So I guess by the law of averages we're overdue for a lot!

In any case, my concern with all of it is that it's a broken system. Speculative sentiment can drive down the price of a share rather than the underlying fundamentals. Add to that the 15 or so years of a zero interest rate environment suddenly being reversed, there are going to be problems.

Sadly I think a lot of these banks maybe do need to fail, and the shock waves need to be felt, for there to be any chance of correcting the system. I guess the ECB have at least a similar line of thinking as they pushed on with their .5% interest rate hike today. Banks like Credit Suisse are too integral though... I forget the fancy name for them, Globally Systemic somethings, and need to be support I guess, otherwise the shock wave is too big. Still seems like a gamble, and one the taxpayers should be compensated for.

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'd say that's not an unsreasonable attack, as Labour have a history of raiding pensions, and doing it again can be justified because there's a lot of wealth tied up in pensions, perhaps too much for the good of the economy. 

It's the shamelessness of it, they didn't seem to care up till 2 days ago when the policy was a Tory one. 

It's ok for these people when the Tories do things.

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

It's the shamelessness of it, they didn't seem to care up till 2 days ago when the policy was a Tory one. 

It's ok for these people when the Tories do things.

campaign for next election has started, there will be lots more of this...especially with likely tax cuts in next budget...labour tax raids, don't trust them with the economy, plus they voted against stopping the boats etc etc

7 hours ago, cellar said:

This was true a few years ago, actually maybe more like a decade ago, but there haven't been many bank failures (in the US) in recent years - I think 2020 was the last time until this week just gone, and even that was single digits. So I guess by the law of averages we're overdue for a lot!

In any case, my concern with all of it is that it's a broken system. Speculative sentiment can drive down the price of a share rather than the underlying fundamentals. Add to that the 15 or so years of a zero interest rate environment suddenly being reversed, there are going to be problems.

Sadly I think a lot of these banks maybe do need to fail, and the shock waves need to be felt, for there to be any chance of correcting the system. I guess the ECB have at least a similar line of thinking as they pushed on with their .5% interest rate hike today. Banks like Credit Suisse are too integral though... I forget the fancy name for them, Globally Systemic somethings, and need to be support I guess, otherwise the shock wave is too big. Still seems like a gamble, and one the taxpayers should be compensated for.

Two, tho us banks are more likely to fail because the regulation and stress testing isn't as strong as in the usa as in europe. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

teachers union in talks with govt now, could be a breakthrough there. Maybe talks with junior doctors unions soon too. Govt obviously want to sort out these problems now...looks like the unions have won really.

How do they spin this one as a victory for the government (as no doubt they will want to?)

That Barclay guy was on the radio yesterday putting on a serious voice on saying how “both sides needed to be constructive”.

57 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

teachers union in talks with govt now, could be a breakthrough there. Maybe talks with junior doctors unions soon too. Govt obviously want to sort out these problems now...looks like the unions have won really.

govt decided to settle first  with the ones with the greatest public support(nurses, etc) as it weakens all of the others on strike.

55 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...if Sunak can make all these strikes stop, or at least the main ones, he would have had a pretty good few weeks (politically).

he could have made all the strikes go away with the money he gifted to rich pensioners.

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

How do they spin this one as a victory for the government (as no doubt they will want to?)

That Barclay guy was on the radio yesterday putting on a serious voice on saying how “both sides needed to be constructive”.

not so much a win, but they will stop strikes being on the news and them affecting people's lives so much...and some public sector workers get a bit more money (there was nothing on this in budget the other day, I guess this was all factored in somewhere but Hunt just didn't want to talk about it).