news & politics:discussion

zahidf

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I still maintain that raising interest rates right now is the wrong course of action.

Why? It's a tricky decision for sure, and if inflation figures hadn't risen yesterday there would be a stronger case for staying at 4%, but still coming with its own risks.

Short term pain, but hopefully mitigating longer term pain.

47 minutes ago, cellar said:

Why? It's a tricky decision for sure, and if inflation figures hadn't risen yesterday there would be a stronger case for staying at 4%, but still coming with its own risks.

Short term pain, but hopefully mitigating longer term pain.

But at same time they have forecast inflation to drop rapidly soon...because of energy prices coming down...and this inflation was always mainly driven by supply side...so isn't a rate rise unnecessary..or even more harmful?

(I know f-all about how all this works though)

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I still maintain that raising interest rates right now is the wrong course of action.

its the only way to prop-up an otherwise worthless pound.

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But at same time they have forecast inflation to drop rapidly soon...because of energy prices coming down...and this inflation was always mainly driven by supply side...so isn't a rate rise unnecessary..or even more harmful?

(I know f-all about how all this works though)

True, and with whats happened with the banks recently it did look like they might not have gone ahead with it, but yesterday's inflation rise probably decided it for them.

There are definitely risks with the rise (we might see more issues with banks), but like the ECB it seems BoE think inflation is still the bigger threat.

Also yeah inflation hasn't been driven by fiscal policy, but we can use it to help bring it down. And even if inflation is forecast to drop sharply, this should help it drop faster and harder (which is a good thing, especially if it were to result in deflation - not that I think that will happen).