news & politics:discussion

zahidf

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

looks like the guy who leaked all that secret russia ukraine shit, Airmen Teixeira, is just some young twat who hangs around with his gamer buddies on ###### and turns out is a bit of a racist right wing prick. 

wow...if I write ###### I get a load of #####

Edited by steviewevie

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

most people were saying it probably wouldn't work. Just have to see if numbers are as high as last year.

He said it was going to be by the next election, he made a big thing of it and now 3 months later he’s backtracked. Yet there’s hardly any comment. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

He said it was going to be by the next election, he made a big thing of it and now 3 months later he’s backtracked. Yet there’s hardly any comment. 

Well he can backtrack all he likes but in the end it will be a broken pledge, and one that was at the forefront not that long ago.

He needs to bin Braverman.

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Well he can backtrack all he likes but in the end it will be a broken pledge, and one that was at the forefront not that long ago.

3 months ago it was, that’s how long it takes for him to break his headline promises. He’s a poor PM and a woeful leader. But people will let him get away with it. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

it'll be an issue labour will need to have a policy for, and that'll need to be a policy that's better than the tory failure.

but labour won't have a solution because its a problem without a solution.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Suella Braverman got to whip a certain section of their base into a complete frenzy and they managed to make Gary Lineker public enemy #1 in their eyes for a week or so. Showed they can still thrive in culture wars so job done really?

27 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Suella Braverman got to whip a certain section of their base into a complete frenzy and they managed to make Gary Lineker public enemy #1 in their eyes for a week or so. Showed they can still thrive in culture wars so job done really?

Job done really? I thought Lineker got the overwhelming public support? I might be wrong.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

it'll be an issue labour will need to have a policy for, and that'll need to be a policy that's better than the tory failure.

but labour won't have a solution because its a problem without a solution.

safe routes, speed up claims, work with EU.

(sure fire vote winner!)

9 hours ago, Ozanne said:

3 months ago it was, that’s how long it takes for him to break his headline promises. He’s a poor PM and a woeful leader. But people will let him get away with it. 

Because the alternative is another shit leader who breaks all his promises.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

safe routes, speed up claims, work with EU.

(sure fire vote winner!)

that doesn't stop the numbers coming, but sounds like it'll be higher numbers.

it's exactly a year ago today they announced Rwanda.

9 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Job done really? I thought Lineker got the overwhelming public support? I might be wrong.

Public support, yes - so much of that because most of us are full of compassion and understanding (and read the actual tweet). But certain types of people - oddly, they’d refer to people with their kind of reaction as ‘snowflakes’ - really went for Gary based on 30p Lee etc’s views.

14 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Public support, yes - so much of that because most of us are full of compassion and understanding (and read the actual tweet). But certain types of people - oddly, they’d refer to people with their kind of reaction as ‘snowflakes’ - really went for Gary based on 30p Lee etc’s views.

I think there was a freedom of speech angle too, even if you didn't agree with what he said.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think there was a freedom of speech angle too, even if you didn't agree with what he said.

Probably this. People on the right saying because lineker can say what he wants I get to too now. I noticed Sharron Davies hasn't stopped going on about the trans thing since she found out BBC sports presenters now have free speech.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Probably this. People on the right saying because lineker can say what he wants I get to too now. I noticed Sharron Davies hasn't stopped going on about the trans thing since she found out BBC sports presenters now have free speech.

It would be misplaced to think that a belief in gender identity theory is a left/right issue.

Sharron Davies has been pro women's rights in sport for years now. If the media have given her space to express those views more recently then perhaps it's less to do with Lineker and more to do with the scottish self-id debacle, which highlighted the need to discuss/resolve a conflict of rights rather than push through legislation based on a stonewall mantra.

4 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

It would be misplaced to think that a belief in gender identity theory is a left/right issue.

Sharron Davies has been pro women's rights in sport for years now. If the media have given her space to express those views more recently then perhaps it's less to do with Lineker and more to do with the scottish self-id debacle, which highlighted the need to discuss/resolve a conflict of rights rather than push through legislation based on a stonewall mantra.

You mean legislation in all the parties manifesto and which went through scottish parliament after years of consultation?

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

You mean legislation in all the parties manifesto and which went through scottish parliament after years of consultation?

Yes, I mean the blind refusal to accept any sensible amendment that would have prevented the Isla Bryson debacle - blind because of rigid adherence to a stonewall mantra.

40 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I agree though its not me labelling women's rights campaigners as far right.

I think its probably a bit of both to be honest. Certain high profile cases are definitely bringing the issue more to the publics attention, the overton window appears to be shifting back the other way and I guess that makes people more confident to speak out more. Looks a tricky one for Starmer, he's tried to stay in the centre ground but neither side seems to be happy with that position currently and he may have to shift fully to one position.