news & politics:discussion

zahidf

It reminds me of the meme Alan Sugar shared of Corbyn "when your at Nuremberg and thought you were going to a car rally"

When you have a long history of saying things and being spotted at certain places the constant explanations trying to play them down become less and less believable.

just cam across this.....

BRICS...

Brazil... was a populist basket case when Bolsonaro was in charge; hopefully getting better.
Russia... paranoid madman in charge; started a war in Ukraine that could destabilise Europe.
India... Modi is a madman.
China... fine unless you're an Uyghur Muslim; or live in Taiwan. Embarking on an Empire.
South Africa... ANC basket case.

The world might be fucked but if this group aren't going to unfuck it.

14 minutes ago, lost said:

It reminds me of the meme Alan Sugar shared of Corbyn "when your at Nuremberg and thought you were going to a car rally"

When you have a long history of saying things and being spotted at certain places the constant explanations trying to play them down become less and less believable.

its a momentum meme that he was knifed by an unfair media,

the media might be unfair but a lot of the criticism was well aimed.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they can do the culture war thing as much as they like...but in the end...

i'm surprised that housing scores so low cos its a big problem for a lot of people but no problem for anyone who is settled and most people are settled.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it is up 4% though.

The only reason immigration polls higher is it is often front page of newspapers and you have farage and braverman telling everyone we're being swamped/invaded.

Housing doesn't really stoke the same passions...but it really should, because it is fucked.

it does its a problem like immigration for some - it really winds up the nimby's and has them voting against the tories.

7 hours ago, steviewevie said:

what labour is, and what it needs to be (imo), is a broad coalition...and that includes the like of Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell.

It is a broad coalition and there are several MPs on the left and many more voters. Corbyn and Abbott have not got into trouble for being left wing, but getting themselves tied up on the antisemitism issue. Too many on the left gave this obsession about Israel. In the real world I have worked community NHS for 15 years and patients talk politics all the time. In that time the amount who have discussed anything related to Middle East politics is a big fat 0.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Agreed, how many people on the doorstep are prioritising Roald Dahl books, not many!

i hear they're going for pg woodehouse, all his writing is about lampooning right wing nutters, they'd be nothing left.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It is a broad coalition and there are several MPs on the left and many more voters. Corbyn and Abbott have not got into trouble for being left wing, but getting themselves tied up on the antisemitism issue. Too many on the left gave this obsession about Israel. In the real world I have worked community NHS for 15 years and patients talk politics all the time. In that time the amount who have discussed anything related to Middle East politics is a big fat 0.

yeah, I do agree with this...but I think just kicking Corbyn out is a bad idea in the long run for labour...and I find the whole Diane Abbott thing just totally depressing because I do have so much respect for her.

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Agreed, how many people on the doorstep are prioritising Roald Dahl books, not many!

This was Marina Purkiss’ point when she was on Rees-Moggs GB News show last night. Mogg claimed people care about these culture war issues because it’s a freedom of speech issue yet Marina was saying the only reason Tories fall back on this is because they have no other ideas. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I actually agree with Rees-Mogg...they should leave Dahl alone. 

Marina agreed on the show. It’s a silly argument anyway who cares about the wording of his books?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I do agree with this...but I think just kicking Corbyn out is a bad idea in the long run for labour...and I find the whole Diane Abbott thing just totally depressing because I do have so much respect for her.

They didn’t have a choice with Corbyn. He claimed the EHRC report was exaggerated, it left Starmer no choice. If Corbyn really cared about the vulnerable and poor he could have said nothing, instead he chose his ego and echo chamber. From that point it’s a political calculation and the votes for dumping Corbyn are more than you get for keeping him.  

As for Abbott I respect her for getting elected. I admire her dignity in how she has handled abhorrent racism. I think however she is a pretty mediocre politician. Completely out of her depth when in the shadow cabinet.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He's a bigot and an antisemitic, but doesn't mean they should change his books, just don't read them.

I haven't heard about his views, I'm not that bothered by the whole argument as you say just don't read the books if it does bother you.