news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

when we going to get to the point where robots do everything and we can just kick back and have a nice time?

reminds me of the 80's not the nine o clock news scetch  taking off that car advert of "handbuilt by roberts", ..... "hey bob". 😛 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

when we going to get to the point where robots do everything and we can just kick back and have a nice time?

I think a citizens income is coming or at least will be tried somewhere. That in itself has its own issues. I think lockdown/furlough increased direct alcohol deaths by 25% and that's before the things that are only an estimate such as the cancers. It takes  a hell of alot of self discipline to keep up good habits when you don't have the routine of work.

11 minutes ago, lost said:

I think a citizens income is coming or at least will be tried somewhere. That in itself has its own issues. I think lockdown/furlough increased direct alcohol deaths by 25% and that's before the things that are only an estimate such as the cancers. It takes  a hell of alot of self discipline to keep up good habits when you don't have the routine of work.

Hadn't picked up that this was being considered. I know they were trialing it somewhere in Wales but the few bits drip fed in the media weren't especially positive.

To balance up your concerns, the citizen's income doesn't preclude anyone from working. It also opens up a lot of quality of life enhancing options through volunteering in all sorts of things whilst removing some of the stigma that can be associated with it. I do a lot of conservation work and our volunteers are usually pensioners or retirees; a citizens income could transform the age profile of those coming out enabling us to get more done! Also it provides a safety net for those caught in a rut and wanting to retrain. Perhaps most importantly it helps recognise all the unpaid labour by mothers and carers and gives them a financial independence they may not have had before (due to DV issues).

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I miss Tomorrow's World, wish they'd bring it back so we can laugh at all the prototypes going wrong.

Mind you, I'm still waiting for the jetpack they promised me.

34 minutes ago, lost said:

the robots could punish us if we step out of line.

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Hadn't picked up that this was being considered. I know they were trialing it somewhere in Wales but the few bits drip fed in the media weren't especially positive.

To balance up your concerns, the citizen's income doesn't preclude anyone from working. It also opens up a lot of quality of life enhancing options through volunteering in all sorts of things whilst removing some of the stigma that can be associated with it. I do a lot of conservation work and our volunteers are usually pensioners or retirees; a citizens income could transform the age profile of those coming out enabling us to get more done! Also it provides a safety net for those caught in a rut and wanting to retrain. Perhaps most importantly it helps recognise all the unpaid labour by mothers and carers and gives them a financial independence they may not have had before (due to DV issues).

i'm soon going to be setup with a nice steady not-working /not pension income looking forwards to it 🙂 

22 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I honestly think those who won’t vote labour because Corbyn is not an MP is relatively small, despite the noise they make. Take away all those who live in safe labour areas (who vote makes no difference) then it’s even smaller.

I can only speak for myself, voting in a red wall constituency, and say that even if Corbyn was still in the party my vote would still be going to the greens. Starmer’s Labour are a busted flush. Corrupt, authoritarian and bereft of the imagination or the will to address the issues facing society.

43 minutes ago, Neil said:

next week it'll be all about how badly the tories have done in the locals.

The usual suspects will still try to spin it as a disaster for Starmer. 

30 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The usual suspects will still try to spin it as a disaster for Starmer. 

bet he does better than cobyn did which they wouldn't allow to be called bad.

48 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer and Sunak have pretty similar poll ratings...Starmer not as popular as Labour, Sunak more popular than the Tories...so I guess that will be why both sides will go for the leaders over things like policies.

Labour have been regularly announcing/talking about policies for example they announced this week that spiking drinks will be made illegal and will educate boys to curb violence against women.