news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

new towns, building on green belt ...nimbys are going to love it

(but needs doing).

It needs doing but won't be a walkover the Tories lost a seat recently to a nimbys campaign.

8 hours ago, steviewevie said:

new towns, building on green belt ...nimbys are going to love it

(but needs doing).

A bit. But it should only be done with an equal commitment to green space, right to roam and rewilding.

Everybody should have easy access to nature, clean air, a built environment conducive to a healthy lifestyle and these things should always be mentioned in the same breath as house building targets.

Many town centres across the north are increasingly half derelict as commerce has moved online or to retail parks. Making town centres more residential, more pedestrian and green needs a lot of joined up thinking by councils and developers, but seems to me the obvious best way forward to rejuvenate them and local economies and help to relieve pressure on house prices.

Housing needs better ideas than an arbitrary and probably eventually unattainable target and a big list of landlords.

32 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

A bit. But it should only be done with an equal commitment to green space, right to roam and rewilding.

Everybody should have easy access to nature, clean air, a built environment conducive to a healthy lifestyle and these things should always be mentioned in the same breath as house building targets.

Many town centres across the north are increasingly half derelict as commerce has moved online or to retail parks. Making town centres more residential, more pedestrian and green needs a lot of joined up thinking by councils and developers, but seems to me the obvious best way forward to rejuvenate them and local economies and help to relieve pressure on house prices.

Housing needs better ideas than an arbitrary and probably eventually unattainable target and a big list of landlords.

I think most of the houses will be built in SE where people want to actually live.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

It’s fine building a load of houses, but you need to have the infrastructure in place to cope . Where I Iive they built the houses without thinking where the kids would go to school or how the roads would cope with the additional traffic.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s fine building a load of houses, but you need to have the infrastructure in place to cope . Where I Iive they built the houses without thinking where the kids would go to school or how the roads would cope with the additional traffic.

in London schools are closing cos there's not enough kids wanting them.

This sue grey stuff is so funny not long after telling us she was honest enough to investigate spaffer they say she's not honest enough to have a different employer 

It’s funny how the Civil Service are allowed to do everything for the Tories like cover up all their misdemeanours yet when one of them wants to leave to join Labour they get all up in arms. 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

looks like labour won't be abolishing tuition fees.

Was it ever on the table? Best way to look at tuition fee's is a graduate tax. There are obviously issues with it along with the personal allowances being frozen, graduates paying tax at 55% on salaries which are pretty unremarkable with regards to house prices. I would think many will be looking at getting their degree and then going to work in other countries.

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

looks like labour won't be abolishing tuition fees.

Looks like labour don't have a bottomless pit of money, electorate don't want hand-outs to the rich