news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

He’s said he lives in Sweden many times and also that he works for a bank I think. He’s hardly hiding it 

true, but its relevant to the discussion, and should be disclosed.

Just now, steviewevie said:

...and we'd still have had banks if Corbyn had got in, right? They'd have no money of course...but they'd still be there and in need of rescuing..

they wouldn't have jobs or bonus's like mattiloy's.

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Considering we aren’t in next year yet that doesn’t really matter.

Labour are highlighting what they would do now which is what people have supposedly been clamouring for. 

ok, fair enough...I was just being cynical. Easy to say what you'd do when not in power, but what else can an opposition do, apart from set out how they're going to improve things. Also...the vision thing that people complain about, or lack of it...the main vision thing seems to be the investment in net zero and green tech etc. I have no idea if they'll be able to borrow the sums promised after trussenomics., and I have no idea if this investment will lead to growth any time soon, but it is the right thing to do, and will hopefully put us in a good place in the future...in short term I don't see things improving much, maybe what we have got can be distributed more equally, but problem for labour could be is if people don't see improvements quickly tories could come along with a new national conservative thing and badenoch/braverman in charge and we'll go full handsmaid's tale.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

problem for labour could be is if people don't see improvements quickly tories could come along with a new national conservative thing and badenoch/braverman in charge and we'll go full handsmaid's tale.

tories won't be believed on the economy now.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It clearly is disclosed cause I know about it and I’ve never even met the guy 

he keeps saying he'll vote green when he shouldn't even have a vote as hes resident overseas.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, fair enough...I was just being cynical. Easy to say what you'd do when not in power, but what else can an opposition do, apart from set out how they're going to improve things. Also...the vision thing that people complain about, or lack of it...the main vision thing seems to be the investment in net zero and green tech etc. I have no idea if they'll be able to borrow the sums promised after trussenomics., and I have no idea if this investment will lead to growth any time soon, but it is the right thing to do, and will hopefully put us in a good place in the future...in short term I don't see things improving much, maybe what we have got can be distributed more equally, but problem for labour could be is if people don't see improvements quickly tories could come along with a new national conservative thing and badenoch/braverman in charge and we'll go full handsmaid's tale.

Hold on a minute, before people were saying ‘Labour have no policies’ now they do meet that imaginary goalpost and it’s ‘easy to say what you’d do when not in power’.

This is why I claim that Labour can never win, people constantly move the goalposts. I’m not directly saying you said this but this screams of someone that doesn’t really support Labour but can’t say it so will just keep changing their stance. 

talking of voting green, i saw a claim the other day from someone coming from the same angle as mattiloy, that a switch from labour to greens can be spotted in  the bristol west recorded votes, but as that's my constituency i disagree, the green vote has been growing here anyway, and as a green win looks more likely, voting green becomes less of a wasted vote.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Hold on a minute, before people were saying ‘Labour have no policies’ now they do meet that imaginary goalpost and it’s ‘easy to say what you’d do when not in power’.

This is why I claim that Labour can never win, people constantly move the goalposts. I’m not directly saying you said this but this screams of someone that doesn’t really support Labour but can’t say it so will just keep changing their stance. 

Stevie an actual Labour member. Ozanne somehow not, yet cries when any slight criticism comes their way. 

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

talking of voting green, i saw a claim the other day from someone coming from the same angle as mattiloy, that a switch from labour to greens can be spotted in  the bristol west recorded votes, but as that's my constituency i disagree, the green vote has been growing here anyway, and as a green win looks more likely, voting green becomes less of a wasted vote.

Greens are able to attract labour, lib dem and Tory votes. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

Greens are able to attract labour, lib dem and Tory votes. 

i'm just saying there's no obvious switch to greens here.

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah but easy to say what they'do now, like freeze council tax...and we'd just have to take their word for it. It's what they will do after they get elected that matters.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah but easy to say what they'do now, like freeze council tax...and we'd just have to take their word for it. It's what they will do after they get elected that matters.

They are saying what they would do now because there’s an election now and they’ve chosen to focus on national issues.

If they didn’t say anything you’d also moan about it. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

everyone hates council tax, and sees it as unfair as the old rating system was thought of, time to do away with council tax for a better system, a land value tax was popular quite recently.

Lewis Goodall has some great tweets/threads on the student loan issue. It is a very unfair tax being levied against graduates. Some of my income is actually taxed at a rate of 51% and I won't actually still ever pay that student loan off given the massive interest rate rises. The system's inequality is clear given the wealthiest students tend to get their fees paid off directly so will not be encumbered by an additional 9% tax for the rest of their lives whereas poorer people who do well will do.