news & politics:discussion

zahidf

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Massive queue at my local polling station. Not.

I used to be a poll clerk & it's the most boring job in the world - 16 hour days & sometimes you'd be waiting nearly an hour for someone to come in and vote! - especially at local elections. 

I don't envy the poll clerks today having to turn people away if they haven't got I.D.

I wonder how each party will spin the success/failure?

We had a Tory knock on the door. Not impressed with us being Labour voters.

Apparently they will destroy this town. I live in Aldershot and we’ve been under Tory rule forever. Hardly a resounding success rate.

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

. I live in Aldershot

my commiserations, i escaped 30 years ago - I visited recently it wasn't looking any better

20 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Apparently they will destroy this town. I live in Aldershot and we’ve been under Tory rule forever. Hardly a resounding success rate.

I had both parties around. Middle aged men who campaign for labour always look like Geography teachers whilst the Tory was a doctor in the NHS which probably shields him from getting the worst of the abuse.

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I wonder how each party will spin the success/failure?

How it is spun will depend on the results I guess...if Labour have a good night then obviously they will be pleased but will maybe not want to get carried away as general election still far away and they don't want people thinking forgone conclusion so they can vote green or some other nonsense, but if they do worse than expected then the starmerhate will get louder and it will be squeaky bum time for labour...as for the tories if they have a good night then that will help push the idea that there is still hope with sunak in charge, if a bad night then don't know, they'll probably just give up and throw in the towel.

20 minutes ago, lost said:

I had both parties around. Middle aged men who campaign for labour always look like Geography teachers whilst the Tory was a doctor in the NHS which probably shields him from getting the worst of the abuse.

Our Conservative candidate who came knocking was a retired lady who was very keen to stress she’s married to a soldier - obviously plays well here!

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...as for the tories if they have a good night then that will help push the idea that there is still hope with sunak in charge, if a bad night then don't know, they'll probably just give up and throw in the towel.

Another new PM? 😄

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Government suppressing tory vote.

They are so incompetent that they are cocking up their (alleged) voter suppression efforts. 

It sounds like this has been a disaster, this is the Tories for you. Where’s the outrage?

If Labour did anything like this then people would be in here kicking off. 

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It sounds like this has been a disaster, this is the Tories for you. Where’s the outrage?

If Labour did anything like this then people would be in here kicking off. 

this has been the concern for ages, not really surprising. I have no idea why they did it, not as if we have a major voter fraud issue. Either bin it or bring in compulsory ID cards for everyone.