news & politics:discussion

zahidf

The Tories should be making gains after the results of these seats in 2019 but the media will let them off and claim any Labour gains that aren’t astronomical is a failure. The Tories play politics on easy mode. 

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The Tories should be making gains after the results of these seats in 2019 but the media will let them off and claim any Labour gains that aren’t astronomical is a failure. The Tories play politics on easy mode. 

Yeah well back in the real world Tories know they're going to lose loads and labour will gain loads...but just have to ignore the spin and see what experts conclude tomorrow evening or whenever they're all counted.

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this has been the concern for ages, not really surprising. I have no idea why they did it, not as if we have a major voter fraud issue. Either bin it or bring in compulsory ID cards for everyone.

We all know why they did it. It’s a purely political move to stop people voting who they think (predominantly) won’t vote for them.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, mattiloy said:

Will be very interesting to see how the poll lead translates at the local elections.

My own belief is that the migration of left wing votes like mine to the greens will be much more significant than quoted, and that the liberals being put off by Starmer’s authoritarianism will mean the Lib Dems also do well.

Theres no doubt Labour will gain but the extent of that gain will be more limited than forecasted imo.

Seems about right this so far. I think we can all agree that its good to see the greens making gains. Greener decision making at a local level is surely a good thing 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

did you vote?

Cant vote in locals from overseas- rightly so.

I voted for vänsterpartiet in the last locals over here (left party). They are now in a beautiful coalition with the greens and the socdems in Stockholm city council.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

remainer/rejoin vote going to libdems?

Would also say by south tyneside green surge that some left areas are going green.

If the election plays out like this is could be the dream scenario of a Grand anti tory, electoral reformy govt 

7 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Would also say by south tyneside green surge that some left areas are going green.

If the election plays out like this is could be the dream scenario of a Grand anti tory, electoral reformy govt 

yes, but how many MPs can Greens win? still likely to be no more than 1.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

at most 3 - lucas, bristol north, norwich south or something, and no others.

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

True but they would at least act as a blocker on a labour majority and if they win a sizeable number of votes in such a scenario, surely it at least helps the electoral change argument. It would look ridiculous if they got say 6/7% nationally and had 0.15% of the MPs.