news & politics:discussion

zahidf

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

no evidence of that claimed switch from labour to greens.

I noticed that too. You can see plenty of evidence online of how much trouble the Tories are in and how the locals were good for Labour so it’s probably best to go with that rather than anything else. 

It could be worse at least the UK isn't like Pakistan Which has never had a peaceful transfer of power following an election. At least we can still vote the Tories out.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Interesting debate in US whether CNN and other mainstream broadcasters should be giving Trump so much time to spout his incendiary bullshit.

I guess he one the primary candidates so they should probably, it’s more an indictment in their system that a criminal can stand in the first place!

34 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I guess he one the primary candidates so they should probably, it’s more an indictment in their system that a criminal can stand in the first place!

they're trying to make trump unelectable - won't work else he wouldn't have got elected for a first time.

Just now, Neil said:

they're trying to make trump unelectable - won't work else he wouldn't have got elected for a first time.

That’s a good point, CNN aren’t exactly Trump fans after all. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ok, but he just spouts lies...and they give him the space to do it without anyone questioning it....and people are so dumb and malleable to any old conspiracy they lap it all up and believe it.

It's a tricky one isn't it, what is the solution without getting people saying you're stifling free speech? You could have a permanent disclaimer saying his statements haven't been independently verified, but I don't think that would even make a difference to a lot of people (woke media trying to censor hero).

Maybe the answer is just to say people who have been proven to be a liar on multiple occasions don't get that platform. But how do you even police that?

1 minute ago, cellar said:

It's a tricky one isn't it, what is the solution without getting people saying you're stifling free speech? You could have a permanent disclaimer saying his statements haven't been independently verified, but I don't think that would even make a difference to a lot of people (woke media trying to censor hero).

Maybe the answer is just to say people who have been proven to be a liar on multiple occasions don't get that platform. But how do you even police that?

yeah well, I think there are limits to free speech...even in a so called liberal democracy. Trump is very good at what he does, amazing at it. That's why the republican party don't know what the fuck to do and just fall behind him. I think he will end up as their candidate, but will hopefully lose against Biden. DeSantis might be doing his anti woke culture war thing to try and capture the right, but he's so dull compared to Trump. Doesn't matter what he does, fraud or rape or whatever...he's the news, and the maga lot love him. 

The people who love him will love him no matter what. The people who hate him will hate him no matter what. The only people whose minds might be changed are the ones who held their noses when they voted for him. And there is probably quite a few of those.

14 minutes ago, cellar said:

don't think there's any way to manage him. banned from office for insurrection, would be best, else we're there again soon.

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

The people who love him will love him no matter what. The people who hate him will hate him no matter what. The only people whose minds might be changed are the ones who held their noses when they voted for him. And there is probably quite a few of those.

no ones mind is being changed.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Interest rates up to 4.5%. Woohoo!

It hasn’t worked yet but the BoE are seemingly happy making people poorer.