news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

In my view it’s correct Kathleen Stock was allowed to talk to Oxford University and also right for students to protest.

No platforming people like her is not the answer, we should be encouraging our young people to debate views they don’t agree with.

there was a tv programme on last night about all that stuff...she was on it...Gender Wars on Ch4.

Doesn't Owen Jones see Starmer as far right?

probably not the best guy to comment.

Blairs got the answer though:

Edited by lost

24 minutes ago, lost said:

he's right about far right doing very well across europe...Italy, Sweden, Portugal...could well be part of a ruling coalition in Spain, and Le Pen could win in France. I think his main gripe with Starmer is trust.

Edited by steviewevie

31 minutes ago, lost said:

also...the economic migrant argument just doesn't work so well when you have asylum seekers coming from places like Ukraine, Afghanistan, Syria, Iran, Eritrea, Sudan etc etc. 

End of the day people want change from economic malaise that is everywhere, and the right are winning the argument with their simple blame others thing whilst the left just argue amongst themselves.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

he's right about far right doing very well across europe...Italy, Sweden, Portugal...could well be part of a ruling coalition in Spain, and Le Pen could win in France. I think his main gripe with Starmer is trust.

I think your average swing voter who doesn’t follow politics on twitter won’t give a sh*t what labour leadership pledges Starmer has changed his mind about.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think your average swing voter who doesn’t follow politics on twitter won’t give a sh*t what labour leadership pledges Starmer has changed his mind about.

nope, probably not...but it has upset Jones and many others on left. Anyway, article isn't about starmer but about rise of far right parties across europe. 

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

In my view it’s correct Kathleen Stock was allowed to talk to Oxford University and also right for students to protest.

No platforming people like her is not the answer, we should be encouraging our young people to debate views they don’t agree with.

you'll be asking them to come up with a reasonable argument, next. 😛 

23 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree, I don’t think the majority of the public care. If they see a manifesto that looks like it addresses the issues facing the country then they won’t even give it any thought. 

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I agree, I don’t think the majority of the public care. If they see a manifesto that looks like it addresses the issues facing the country then they won’t even give it any thought. 

When the labour leadership took place it was obvious Starmer was going to go left to go after members and then centre to go for voters.

The alternative to be completely honest. Hand the leadership to RLB and spend 5 years of factional battles and focusing on issues like Middle East politics that the electorate don’t care about. Trust would be the last issue the electorate considered as they handed PM Bojo another term. 

Edited by pink_triangle

The article appears to be more about the Tories moving to the left than labour to the right. You could argue that's Starmers doing as they had more chance to dick about whilst Corbyn was charge.

21 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Queue Ozanne to tell you why this is wrong in three…two…one…

I mean...it doesn't mention the green investment pledges and to stop new oil/gas exploration and house building stuff....but I think point is both have moved to the centre, but that is probably harder for Tories but they've had to after covid/brexit/inflation etc etc.

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...it doesn't mention the green investment pledges and to stop new oil/gas exploration and house building stuff....but I think point is both have moved to the centre, but that is probably harder for Tories but they've had to after covid/brexit/inflation etc etc.

What can I say... I didn't read the article, just the headline 🤷‍♂️🤣