news & politics:discussion

zahidf

48 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Sad about Philip Schofield tbh.

Probably been said in previous pages but if only the public held politicians/government to account with the same energy and vigour as has been reserved for Phillip!

Edited by hodgey123
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know. comparing Schofield to Johnson seems a bit unfair on both of them.

Parallel universe and Bojo gives a 15 year old some work experience and f**ks her when she was legal, do you believe his acolytes would care? They would probably be slapping his back.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Parallel universe and Bojo gives a 15 year old some work experience and f**ks her when she was legal, do you believe his acolytes would care? They would probably be slapping his back.

who knows...I don't think the press would ignore it though.

Anyway, all academic, because that hasn't happened.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

..but older men (usually always men) using their power to f**k younger women (usually always women) is hardly a new thing, but they've really gone to town on Schofield, and there could be some homophobia mixed up in there.

Schofield is saying it’s a lot of homophobia but most of the outrage I’ve seen is about potential/possible grooming: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65775251

Edited by Ryan1984

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

..but older men (usually always men) using their power to f**k younger women (usually always women) is hardly a new thing, but they've really gone to town on Schofield, and there could be some homophobia mixed up in there.

i think part of why they're going for him so much is cos his brother has just gone down for grooming, and underage.

I haven't seen anything homophobic. As said the outrage seems to be due to him meeting the boy young and then doing a Harvey Weinstein, helping his career in exchange for stuff. 

The witch hunt though does seem to be being led by people who have worked with him and suggest he isn't too nice off camera.

24 minutes ago, lost said:

I haven't seen anything homophobic. As said the outrage seems to be due to him meeting the boy young and then doing a Harvey Weinstein, helping his career in exchange for stuff. 

The witch hunt though does seem to be being led by people who have worked with him and suggest he isn't too nice off camera.

Yeah but a lot of that is just rumours and assumptions... innocent until proven otherwise and all that.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah but a lot of that is just rumours and assumptions... innocent until proven otherwise and all that.

Doesn't work like that sadly. Trial by twitter/the media appears to be the norm nowadays. Louis C.K. was a pariah for 4 years for alot less.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

Doesn't work like that sadly. Trial by twitter/the media appears to be the norm nowadays. Louis C.K. was a pariah for 4 years for alot less.

oh, well if he's an example then maybe Schofield will be back presenting on Strictly or GB News or MOTD or something in a few years

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I think we have enough information to divine the Labour party selection process by now.

Its yes to racists, tories and sex pests. And its no to popular existing elected Labour politicians who happen to think poverty is bad.

Something along those lines.

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Schofield is saying it’s a lot of homophobia but most of the outrage I’ve seen is about potential/possible grooming: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65775251

I think there is an element of homophobia here. I honestly believe if it had been a girl people would be far less interested. I think there is still a bit of a culture where a man sleeping with a young (but legal) girl is considered something to admire, but a man sleeping with a young (but legal) boy is considered a bit sordid.

I also think there is an element of people liking to knock down someone with a “wholesome image “. While at the same time there is some weird political divide where left wing people seem (in general) more sympathetic to PS and right wing more on the attack.

To me it seems a bit of a pile on, but there may be evidence released in future which proves it’s justified. I don’t watch this morning or anything with him in, so makes little difference to my life.

Interestingly when I was a teenager in the 90s it seemed kind of accepted that many blokes in bands slept with girls under 16, fans seemed to just accept (and often joke about) it. I have no knowledge/understanding of modern music, does this culture of acceptance no longer exist, or do we have different expectations of our rock stars than daytime tv presenters?

7 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Interestingly when I was a teenager in the 90s it seemed kind of accepted that many blokes in bands slept with girls under 16, fans seemed to just accept (and often joke about) it. I have no knowledge/understanding of modern music, does this culture of acceptance no longer exist, or do we have different expectations of our rock stars than daytime tv presenters?

As far as I remember everything changed around the time of me too. I think you would be playing with fire doing it nowadays.

The twitterati are obsessed with power dynamics regarding this sort of stuff as I mentioned look what happened to Louis C.K, because he was viewed as a senior figure in the comedy world even though the women gave consent it was viewed they were unable to consent due to the power dynamic. He could potentially affect their careers if they said no even thought there was no evidence of him suggesting that.

Edited by lost

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

everyone is f**king everyone these days no matter their sex/gender/age/species...either that or no one is f**king anyone ever...all depends on what article I've just read.

1 hour ago, lost said:

As far as I remember everything changed around the time of me too. I think you would be playing with fire doing it nowadays.

The twitterati are obsessed with power dynamics regarding this sort of stuff as I mentioned look what happened to Louis C.K, because he was viewed as a senior figure in the comedy world even though the women gave consent it was viewed they were unable to consent due to the power dynamic. He could potentially affect their careers if they said no even thought there was no evidence of him suggesting that.

I mean...there may be something in that.....but the fact that with Schofield it is between two men, and the age difference is quite something, and as Neil says his brother was found guilty of child molesting, and Schofield is a powerful person on this tv show and the other guy a new young starter who apparently Schofield knew when he was under 16...then as you say the media and a lot of people have decided he is guilty. But that power dynamic things is pretty creepy and wrong and maybe should have been called out earlier by someone...but it is hardly new.