news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, don't know...I expect many will vote green or abstain, but if polls narrow before election some may hold their noses and vote labour.

I'm pretty sure my constituency will be Labour regardless, so I'll probably just abstain. Might be different if it was closer (then I'd hold my nose).

3 minutes ago, cellar said:

I'm pretty sure my constituency will be Labour regardless, so I'll probably just abstain. Might be different if it was closer (then I'd hold my nose).

better than abstaining, vote for the party that better matches your views, and that might help to  influence labour policies.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

There aren't many times when looks like labour could actually win an election and take over from the tories, no way am I going to hinder that by not voting for them...even if they are red tories and starmer is a disgusting scumbag bastard fascist control freak. 

good, cos an election is not all about just you. 🙂 

On 7/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, Ozanne said:

Labour different to the Tories, you just have to look at their green policies for evidence of that. Saying they are alike is a lazy take. 

just out of interest do you have any concerns about anything Starmer is doing to the Labour party?  .... And yes hes the best option ... as hes the only alternative and I would vote Labour if they stood some chance in my constituency ..... there must be some things that you dont like  ?... for me previously Blair Iraq and Lib dems with the tuition fees were things ive hated in the past 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

just out of interest do you have any concerns about anything Starmer is doing to the Labour party?  .... And yes hes the best option ... as hes the only alternative and I would vote Labour if they stood some chance in my constituency ..... there must be some things that you dont like  ?... for me previously Blair Iraq and Lib dems with the tuition fees were things ive hated in the past 

what hes doing is making them electable.

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

people can still have concerns over direction of travel / policy though ? 

yeah, but more concerning would be another tory govt.

55 minutes ago, Neil said:

true, and why I'm still on board...but I can't pretend I'm not concerned about the direction of travel...especially with the kicking out of anyone who might think slightly differently from "the party". I get they want loyalty, but you also need divergent ideas, especially when there seems to be a real lack of ideology.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

especially with the kicking out of anyone who might think slightly differently from "the party"

thats not it, its corbyn and abbott being too stupid to remain labour mps.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

true, and why I'm still on board...but I can't pretend I'm not concerned about the direction of travel...especially with the kicking out of anyone who might think slightly differently from "the party". I get they want loyalty, but you also need divergent ideas, especially when there seems to be a real lack of ideology.

starmer has taken his lead from no criticism-jezz.

Just now, Neil said:

starmer has taken his lead from no criticism-jezz.

it makes me laugh when the Corbynites complain about starmers methods.

it shows a huge lack of self-awareness.

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Boris did the same with the tories and look what a rable of extremists were left .... 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

It's not going to happen. If it did, it would be really funny in a twisted, dark-comedy kind of way. I don't know what else we could do except laugh in a crazed kind of way.

15 minutes ago, cellar said:

It's not going to happen. If it did, it would be really funny in a twisted, dark-comedy kind of way. I don't know what else we could do except laugh in a crazed kind of way.

and emigrate if that were at all possible 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, cellar said:

It shouldn't happen same as it should never happen, we get the govt our electorate deserves. Same as labour got a sh*t leader in Corbyn cos that's how stupid the membership were.

I had a look, and the odds for government after the next election are currently:

Lab Majority: 4/9

Lab Minority: 3/1

Con Minority: 5/1

Con Majority: 8/1

I'm surprised how short the odds are for a Labour Majority to be honest... Although that really should be the outcome, I think a Minority is more likely.

26 minutes ago, cellar said:

I had a look, and the odds for government after the next election are currently:

Lab Majority: 4/9

Lab Minority: 3/1

Con Minority: 5/1

Con Majority: 8/1

I'm surprised how short the odds are for a Labour Majority to be honest... Although that really should be the outcome, I think a Minority is more likely.

Might put a tenner on a tory majority, so happy either way.

6 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I have some minor concerns but he’s doing his job as Labour leader when in opposition and getting the party into an electable condition so I am happy to let them slide.