news & politics:discussion

zahidf

33 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Save it for General Election night. It will be glorious & I'll be drinking champagne as the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg & Priti Patel - maybe even Rishi - lose their seats!

hunt & gove too  🙂

1 hour ago, Neil said:

to me that say the tories still don't have working angle to attack labour with yet.

Was Starmer a banker before becoming a solicitor? Wondering if they’ve reactivated the help of Farage to kick off about all this in some kind of pact to throw ammo at him?

If I banked with NatWest I'd have to close my account over the farage thing, not cos they closed his account but because they apologised to him for saying he was a racist bigot and other truthful stuff.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Keeps the doubts for Labour though...the lead is still fairly soft, just one issue could swing it back to tories, not sure what that one big issue could be though, tax increase to pay for just stop oil demands bombshell or something...

I think we need to bin democracy.

So Labour win Selby with their 2nd largest ever swing.

Tories hold Uxbridge almost certainly down to ULEZ but Labour got their biggest share of the vote there since 1996 and the Tories got their lowest since 1997. The swing towards Labour is also encouraging.

All in all a decent night for Labour and the results show they are heading for government.

I worry what Uxbridge means for climate change as the Tories might see this an opportunity to water down their already very weak net zero policies. I don’t think it would be a great strategy but wouldn’t be good nonetheless. 

Ultimately though the Tories are losing votes to the Greens in the other seats so it shows how important it is to voters and the sheer swing to Labour in Selby will give them heart that nationally they are on the right track. 

I'm not sure its necessarily green rather a new tax/charge on people that could be anything. When people say they want higher taxes what they actually mean is people who are not them paying the higher taxes and this vague term "the rich" generally means anyone with more money than me.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm not sure its necessarily green rather a new tax/charge on people that could be anything. When people say they want higher taxes what they actually mean is people who are not them paying the higher taxes and this vague term "the rich" generally means anyone with more money than me.

Probably, but maybe people would be happier to pay more tax for NHS or schools than building wind turbines?