news & politics:discussion

zahidf

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Unherd? lol

Like theyve had the biggest swing in vote share since 1997 in these by elections. labour best bet is not to panic IMO

And fun fact, Labour havent won Uxbridge since 1966. Even Blair didnt win it!

20 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

it might harm the party in the long term, the leftist idiots who've been purged harmed it in the short and medium term.the 'purge' is the fix for that 'harm'.

29 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

#greensurge

IMG_0465.jpeg

I mean it's a ripple which is great but sadly won't equate to more than a couple of seats .... On the labour thing I'm more confident of a Labour majority govt now .... there's yet more sh*t coming out by the day on the Tories 

28 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean it's a ripple which is great but sadly won't equate to more than a couple of seats .... On the labour thing I'm more confident of a Labour majority govt now .... there's yet more sh*t coming out by the day on the Tories 

yeah..I think so too....but still, not 100%.

Do these results vindicate they are right to be cautious, not do anything silly like tax gas guzzlers, or does it show they need to come out with something more bold and ambitious to seal the deal?

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Do these results vindicate they are right to be cautious, not do anything silly like tax gas guzzler, or does it show they need to come out with something more bold and ambitious to seal the deal?

id like something popular like definitely bringing water back into public ownership .... don't give ammunition to the Tories .... also explain what they will do to help keep kids out of poverty in the run up .... just more detail but too late for the Tories to jump on the bandwagon or nick the policy 

John Curtice says the Tories are in deep trouble.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Do these results vindicate they are right to be cautious, not do anything silly like tax gas guzzler, or does it show they need to come out with something more bold and ambitious to seal the deal?

It probably shows why Starmer is so cautious tbh as any policy could end up being like ULEZ and shows why they can use raising taxes as a way to boost public spending.

It also shows Labour need to be better messaging as ULEZ was forced onto Khan by the Tories anyway. 

Edited by Ozanne

If they don't have £1.3bn to axe the child benefit cap I cant see them finding £80bn to nationalise water. The inflation surprise though lead through to lower interest on government debt yesterday so there maybe money for some freebies. That's if the Tories don't spend it first in the run up to the election with a policy which would be unpopular if reversed.

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

John Curtice says the Tories are in deep trouble.

It probably shows why Starmer is so cautious tbh as any policy could end up being like ULEZ and shows why they can use raising taxes as a way to boost public spending.

It also shows Labour need to be better messaging as ULEZ was forced onto Khan by the Tories anyway. 

kind of worrying for the future though, right? Tories winning because they say they will bin unpopular climate change policies...so Labour bins them anyway?

If we're going to get to net zero I think we're going to have to bin democracy and let CCP take over.

3 minutes ago, lost said:

If they don't have £1.3bn to axe the child benefit cap I cant see them finding £80bn to nationalise water. The inflation surprise though lead through to lower interest on government debt yesterday so there maybe money for some freebies. That's if the Tories don't spend it first in the run up to the election with a policy which would be unpopular if reversed.

VAT on private school fees = £1.6bn (apparently)

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

kind of worrying for the future though, right? Tories winning because they say they will bin unpopular climate change policies...so Labour bins them anyway?

If we're going to get to net zero I think we're going to have to bin democracy and let CCP take over.

I don’t think this will lead to Labour binning their green policies, they’ll probably keep ULEZ as it comes into affect soon which means the unhappiness will subside by then. They need to be better at communicating that the policy won’t impact that many and it was a Tory demand.

Plus climate change policies like renewables are popular across the country. 

Ultimately in a seat that Labour didn’t even win in 97 the fact that they saw a 7% swing to them plus the gain of Selby shows Labour are in a good position and heading for government. 

3 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Is this purely a money thing?

I would think so. The poorest people own the oldest and therefore most polluting cars.