news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

'Premium' is relative. Prices should fall across the board, obviously always gonna be more expensive and less expensive houses tho

hang on if there's premium houses available cheap then i'm in the market cos i   want an upgrade on this old-expensive-to-run-cottage, and the extras uin the market mean they can't be cheap.

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

Ozanne can't accept that he doesn't understand economics, so it's best to leave him to it, I think. Like talking to a brick wall that repeats the same stock phrases over and over (but never in direct response to you, of course - unless you're Crazyfool, where he becomes weirdly nasty).

Yeah you're spot on. Defo acts more macho when replying to CF glad you've noticed too, pretty pathetic tbh. Yeah his understanding of economics is frighteningly remedial!

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

10x was only possible due to 0.1% interest rates duh, a terrible idea as we are seeing now 

when historically they'd been so much higher was always going to warp the market.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

hang on if there's premium houses available cheap then i'm in the market cos i   want an upgrade on this old-expensive-to-run-cottage, and the extras uin the market mean they can't be cheap.

I dunno why you're so desperate to fight me on my simple view of 'house prices are too expensive in the UK'. That's it, my only point- agree or disagree I don't care, I know I am right.

Just now, Neil said:

when historically they'd been so much higher was always going to warp the market.

He only cares about this topic as it directly impacts him, classic ‘I’m alright Jack’ type of thinking. Low interest rates benefitted many, myself included so he’s wrong on many levels. 

Just now, Neil said:

is that helping with your buying?

Yes. It means instead of stretching for a tiny 2-bed flat further out, I should get a larger one within 30 mins walk of the centre. I'm also negotiating at below asking instead of scrambling for viewings and getting offers that are £20k above asking rejected.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

He only cares about this topic as it directly impacts him, classic ‘I’m alright Jack’ type of thinking. Low interest rates benefitted many, myself included so he’s wrong on many levels. 

Low interest rates help short term but narrow the ladder.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

Yes. It means instead of stretching for a tiny 2-bed flat further out, I should get a larger one within 30 mins walk of the centre. I'm also negotiating at below asking instead of scrambling for viewings and getting offers that are £20k above asking rejected.

No way !! There’s no possible way that lower prices could benefit you trying to buy a property, it makes no sense! How is this possible ozanne??

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

house prices are too expensive in the UK'. That's it

spot on -i was saying ten+ years ago that they system is too broken to fix, it needs more than house prices to correct (commodity prices too). the quality housing we need to build is expensive, so don't demand cheap... the housing stock today is hugely better than it was in the 80s&90s.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

Exactly , as did the stamp duty holiday and help to buy. Ozanne literally only cares about himself here 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Wind up post

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

lead to massive unsustainable House price rises...

what lead to that was it being such a good investment due to low interest rates,high commodity prices (due to QE), and pension fund reforms.

I honestly can’t comprehend how you can be so dim and wrong about basically everything. Don’t think I’ve ever seen someone I disagree with so much 

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

It helps people on lower incomes which I was/am as someone that bought on my own. Many of my friends and family benefitted from it too and if they stayed low then it would help more to get on the ladder. I understand that on its own it can boost house prices which is why we should’ve had other measures in place to run concurrently, such as taxing 2nd homes etc?

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

sounds hopeful, best of luck.

It helps people on lower incomes which I was/am as someone that bought on my own. Many of my friends and family benefitted from it too and if they stayed low then it would help more to get on the ladder. I understand that on its own it can boost house prices which is why we should’ve had other measures in place to run concurrently, such as taxing 2nd homes etc?

As someone who was looking to take advantage of the low interest rates last year....

It's much easier for me to buy now than it was pre-Truss. That doesn't mean I don't think she's a useless idiot with no grasp of economics, but high interest rates have lead to a great drop in prices than the affordability of my mortgage. 

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

As someone who was looking to take advantage of the low interest rates last year....

It's much easier for me to buy now than it was pre-Truss. That doesn't mean I don't think she's a useless idiot with no grasp of economics, but high interest rates have lead to a great drop in prices than the affordability of my mortgage. 

Truss’ issue was that she tried to do too much all at once along with giving tax cuts for the wealthy.

Well I’m glad it’s helped you out, genuinely. But we could achieved better affordability without adding £s onto peoples mortgages which they will feel for years to come. It didn’t have to be either or. 

house prices do need to come down, or at least stall and allow wages in catch up, but a sharp increase in interest rates is a sh*t way to do it as it just causes further pain elsewhere, and doesn't help those hoping to buy any time soon. Plus, house prices aren't really coming down much. Also, that Bentos bloke is a massive c**t.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Truss’ issue was that she tried to do too much all at once along with giving tax cuts for the wealthy.

Well I’m glad it’s helped you out, genuinely. But we could achieved better affordability without adding £s onto peoples mortgages which they will feel for years to come. It didn’t have to be either or. 

A big difference is that right now - private buy-to-let landlords hate the interest rates and are desperately trying to sell up - even at a slight loss - as opposed to coming in with 50% cash offers and controlling the market.

Which is f**king great. f**k private landlords.