news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Neil said:

if the landlord doesn't then the tenant has worse than mouldy - nowhere!

Wow … or just fix the damn problem !! Poor housing is unacceptable full stop . If landlords want rent they fix the issues . I guess you’d not sort the legionnaires on the boat either ? 

An interesting video which would be beneficial to watch for those that ignore interest rates and bang on about supply and demand regarding house prices.

Around the 6.00 min mark - an Oxford Exonomics review found that even if the UK actually did built the 310k houses per year then it would only result in a 5% drop in prices.

How is this possible? well cause house prices are dictated by how much people can borrow!

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i'm sure there's still lots of sh*t landlords, but mould isn't due to a sh*t landlord, its a consequence of a sh*t building.

It’s both. I lived in a converted flat that horrible mould and whilst it was the building it was also on the landlord because he didn’t do the work needed to improved matters.

1 hour ago, lost said:

It will be difficult for labour to claim they don't have £1.4 billion for the child benefit cap for the people who already live here and then claim they have money for people who want to come here. I can't see this issue being fixed purely by getting the Tories out.

it can be done after they win the election, same as the child benefit cap.

1 hour ago, lost said:

It will be difficult for labour to claim they don't have £1.4 billion for the child benefit cap for the people who already live here and then claim they have money for people who want to come here. I can't see this issue being fixed purely by getting the Tories out.

and actually it is costing us more holding them in hotels/barges or legal cases in trying to send some to Rwanda etc...speeding up the asylum processing so those eligible can start to settle and work and pay tax saves us money, and is more humane.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and actually it is costing us more holding them in hotels/barges or legal cases in trying to send some to Rwanda etc...speeding up the asylum processing so those eligible can start to settle and work and pay tax saves us money, and is more humane.

I'm sure labour will do that, fix it and then share the secret with other centre left parties through out Europe to stop this populist right wing surge.

50 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

your link has x.com...maybe that's the reason?

I think it is. If use the web browser it has ‘Twitter’ in the link which works but the app has ‘x’

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

How odd, mine won’t do it on my phone. 

Its probably musk f**king about and turning off features. Not these forums which haven't been upgraded.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

RMT seem to plan their strikes for when I need to get a train.

I remember back in 84 getting a train from a naval base in Plymouth to Hull. Some drivers were on strike and all in all it took over 18 hours to get home and they only provided 2 coaches. The train was rammed with marines and sailors and the only place we could stow our stuff was in the loo.

I remember a kid about 5 came down to have a piss and there was no way. A marine opened the window on the door and lifted the kid up and said piss there. I won't mention blowback but his dad wasn't happy.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Its probably musk f**king about and turning off features. Not these forums which haven't been upgraded.

I thought as much, I guess it’ll happen to all Twitter links soon?

33 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I remember back in 84 getting a train from a naval base in Plymouth to Hull. Some drivers were on strike and all in all it took over 18 hours to get home and they only provided 2 coaches. The train was rammed with marines and sailors and the only place we could stow our stuff was in the loo.

I remember a kid about 5 came down to have a piss and there was no way. A marine opened the window on the door and lifted the kid up and said piss there. I won't mention blowback but his dad wasn't happy.

can't do that now, the windows don't open.

40 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

can't do that now, the windows don't open.

can't get a train from a naval base in Plymouth - all of Plymouth is a naval base.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I thought as much, I guess it’ll happen to all Twitter links soon?

Being unable to post twitter links will improve this thread massively. Not aimed at you specifically but it’s nice to see conversations rather than lazy copy pasting. 

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Being unable to post twitter links will improve this thread massively. Not aimed at you specifically but it’s nice to see conversations rather than lazy copy pasting. 

Not sure I totally agree as it sometimes gives topics of conversation… maybe a reduced quantity might help though . Although actually I don’t think it’s happening